all messages by user

2/22/2016
Topic:
I don't seem to exist

wchever
wchever
bneely wrote:
wberta wrote:
How's it coming? I still don't seem to exist.

Try now. smile

Mine works! Thanks!

I still get no notification when entering a new issue or variant cover. And I have a sizable stack of issues I can't enter yet. I know you guys are busy with a small staff and lots of members to support. I retired a couple years ago after about 35 years in software technical support management in several startup positions at CompuServe to Palantir. If you can figure out some use for me, let's say 8 hours per week, I'll volunteer and help out.

Bill
2/22/2016
Topic:
Star Trek/Green Lantern Spectrum War Variant Cover

wchever
wchever
If you think you have an entry to add to the database, go here.

After you enter the needed information, the staff verifies it.

There's also additional information on submitting a cover scan here.

And you can add a post to the forum thread, Database & Missing Issue Discussion.

Hope this helps.

Bill
edited by wchever on 2/22/2016
2/25/2016
Topic:
Great comic find :)

wchever
wchever
Borys13thchampion wrote:
I hope everyone can see that smile To me anyway , its pretty awesome

And to me too! Congrats big time!

Bill
2/27/2016
Topic:
Cos-Losseum 2016

wchever
wchever
My stuff was toys, t-shirts, some pops and pocket watches (big seller with the cosplay crowd. Go figure)
Did pretty well, after booth rental, paying the help and hotel. I'll do it again next year.

Great pics! I think my favorite is the stormtrooper in a tutu. Now that's some creativity!

Thanks, rowden!
2/28/2016
Topic:
Just checking in........

wchever
wchever
Curious, why no money orders?

Too easy to counterfeit since there is no standard.
3/1/2016
Topic:
Please welcome our newest Moderators!

wchever
wchever
Oxbladder wrote:
Thanks for volunteering .... Now don't vanish like so many mods and admins tend to do wink

My thanks as well!

Is there a way to post a message that all members are likely to see? I posted a contest, but haven't got any responses and I suspect it's due to the ridiculous amount of spam that was occurring at the time so no one saw it. Thanks.
3/8/2016
Topic:
Ruk's list-Who has the best collection

wchever
wchever
I think I should be in the top 100 by now. Haven't entered the complete collection yet. The expensive stuff (graded) is yet to come.

Bill

Total Collection Value: $19,121.67

Total Collection Size: 1,093
3/8/2016
Topic:
Plastic or waterproof comic storage boxes

wchever
wchever
How about this one? http://alturl.com/5fqmw

I always keep my boxes in a cool, dry spot in the house. The niche market would likely be pretty small. Maybe if I was living in the tropics. (Ah, that sounds nice!)
3/31/2016
Topic:
Unrealistic pricing on books for sale

wchever
wchever
I had one of those sent to me as a gift along with an EBay purchase. I'll vote with you since there's a graded 9.6 on EBay as I type this for $35.00. -here. I just remembered, $18 of that is the case. smile

Bill
edited by wchever on 3/31/2016
4/1/2016
Topic:
What makes a "Key" Comic

wchever
wchever
genuine_article_comics wrote:
I think the term "key" is subjective. I think most comic collectors would agree that 1st appearances are considered "key" but fewer might consider an "event" story as "key". Key is whatever you consider it to be. OSG indicating Wolverine's autopsy may be because it's related to his death, which some/many would consider an "event" or "key". To me, what I consider "key" is completely irrelevant until the point of selling and then the only thing that matters is "does the buyer consider the book "key" "?

i agree

Yep to me it's either first appearance or the "event" of a character's death. AF #15 I remember owning when I was a kid. For moderns, Deadpool #45 or Spider-man #700 come to mind for the latter case. But what do I know. It all depends on what the particular collector considers "key."
4/2/2016
Topic:

wchever
wchever
ruk wrote:
Dear Wchever-you sd be in top 100
add more and you rise in list.
Simple eh?

Couldn't be simpler. Got some of my graded Siege Variants in, currently at;

Total Collection Value: $41,302.34

Total Collection Size: 1,889
Thanks, ruk!
4/8/2016
Topic:
Market Price vs Guide Price

wchever
wchever
In 2014, my daughter decided she didn't want to attend SF State after all. I decided that I would sell my place and get a place near a community college she wanted to attend. I went on Amazon to buy furniture that would fit this condo. I found a nice modular leather set that fit the living room perfectly and would supply plenty of seating. The price was $5,2999. I read the description, did a search on the manufacturer, and found the exact same set, on Amazon, for $3,000 less!

If people aren't going to do due diligence, what can you do?

The worst part is, I remember arguing with a guy on CompuServe in 1994 who insisted there was no such thing as price gouging because in a capitalist society it's "whatever the market will bear."
4/8/2016
Topic:
Soliciting opinions

wchever
wchever
Two ideas:

1) A fixed category under COMIC COLLECTING called BARTER. Most of us are collectors and since I'm a freakin' completionist I'd welcome any acquisition method.

2) Another fixed category called FEATURE REQUESTS under Price Guide Research. I'd like to see more input from the community on what we want/need the website to do. Also can be used to see if someone else has already made the same request.

Opinions?

Bill
4/11/2016
Topic:
Soliciting opinions

wchever
wchever
Yep, I get your point. I spent lots of years creating tech support departments for startups. Customer-focused and all.
5/4/2016
Topic:

wchever
wchever
OK, got some CGC stuff in...

Total Collection Value: $47,019.52

Total Collection Size: 2,079
6/18/2016
Topic:
Where have all the peoples gone...

wchever
wchever
ruk wrote:
i am still here and will be
but I agree there sd be some relevant news on price movements

My biggest issue has always been the entry of missing comics. When I first noted the price discrepancies, I decided to use the site more for tracking my collection rather than pricing. But I have a stack of comics I can't enter, most of which I have scanned and submitted...last February. And for get newer variants. I started a while back on completing the New 52 Batman series. Check out #50 and look at the variant covers. And that's not all that actually exist. Makes it hard to keep track of what you have...but I'm still here too.
6/18/2016
Topic:
Where have all the peoples gone...

wchever
wchever
Crowman wrote:
I am in agreement with what everyone is saying. The place just does not have the same "feel" as it had before the crash. It is also very frustrating with the lack of upkeep/housekeeping..... or whatever you want to call it. If it is a lack of moderators then maybe the site should advertise for anyone willing to step up?

"They" did that a while back and must have gotten volunteers because CapnDoug is a new moderator. I just wonder how much authority he gets concerning prices and verifications.

I submitted a couple bug reports, not issue issues (I couldn't help myself,) in January with no resolution, so i suspect the coders have day-time jobs.
6/19/2016
Topic:
Post Pictures of Your Comic Room!

wchever
wchever
rixmaxx wrote:
Is anyone going to fix these forums so we can attach pictures or is that something forever gone because of the "crash" too?

rixmaxx, I think the control they are using on the forum messaging page accepts a picture from the clipboard. I'm using Firefox but it's likely browser-independent.

Display the picture in Paint
Select All
Copy
switch to the forum message, position the cursor where you want the picture
CTRL-V or right-click PASTE

Alternatively, if the picture is displayed like on a web page here.
right-click
Copy Image
switch to the forum message, position the cursor where you want the picture
CTRL-V or right-click PASTE

HTH.

Bill
6/19/2016
Topic:
Greg's Collection Corner

wchever
wchever
gregbrookins wrote:
In other news, I just filled in about 100 more back issues in the ff series.

I've got nice copies of FF #200,#207, and #208 if you want them. They don't fit into any of my collections of Journey into Mystery/Thor, Tales of Suspense/Iron Man. I only need a couple combo pack variants to complete my Batman New 52 run, and any Batman Eternal or Detective Comics variants for #1-#50 would be welcome. But if you have none of these, just pay for shipping, probably a few bucks at most.

Bill
6/21/2016
Topic:
Post Pictures of Your Comic Room!

wchever
wchever
rixmaxx wrote:
I tried the copy and paste method...didn't work

rixmaxx, can you tell me what browser you're using and what OS version? I'm curious as to why it works for me and not you.

Thanks.

Bill