Unrealistic pricing on books for sale Messages in this topic - RSS

connorstrt
connorstrt

3/2/2016

connorstrt
connorstrt
I am see a lot of stupid pricing on this site lately. One listing has Adventure Comics #300 raw at 5.5 condition for $11,700. 9.4 condition lists at $1,000. That's ridiculous is there anyway to call these people out?
0 link
CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator

3/3/2016

CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator
connorstrt wrote:
I am see a lot of stupid pricing on this site lately. One listing has Adventure Comics #300 raw at 5.5 condition for $11,700. 9.4 condition lists at $1,000. That's ridiculous is there anyway to call these people out?

If you look at the description of the listing (yes, I saw it, too), the guy seems to be asking for $11,700 for his collection linked in a google doc, not just that issue. Other than that, if a book is wildly overpriced, it probably won't sell, like the guy I saw at a con asking $25 for X-Men #5 (the Jim Lee one). If you feel as though something should be said, you can always politely (heavy emphasis on that word) contact them and suggest a better course of action. But I know that can often cause more problems than it is worth.
0 link
deadone
deadone

3/3/2016

deadone
deadone
Yep, best to just move on. It's not really necessary to tell someone what to do with their things.
0 link
stevegreer1
stevegreer1

3/5/2016

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I saw some real dandies on here too. I just laugh and move along.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/29/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
To continue this thread - if you dare...
Thor #1 2014 $150 in 9.8 ungraded. Really?
http://comicspriceguide.com/for-sale/gamble/thor/1/pjyujtw
Dude - this is a collector site - we can acutally look up what the comic is going for realisticly!
Currently $18 in 9.8 - In my opinion one should never rate a ungraded comic more than 9.4. So maybe $12 if you are lucky?
Who vote with me that this one will be $4 in two years? Anyone?
KDS
0 link
wchever
wchever

3/31/2016

wchever
wchever
I had one of those sent to me as a gift along with an EBay purchase. I'll vote with you since there's a graded 9.6 on EBay as I type this for $35.00. -here. I just remembered, $18 of that is the case. smile

Bill
edited by wchever on 3/31/2016
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

4/6/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
wchever wrote:
I had one of those sent to me as a gift along with an EBay purchase. I'll vote with you since there's a graded 9.6 on EBay as I type this for $35.00. -here. I just remembered, $18 of that is the case. smile

Bill
edited by wchever on 3/31/2016

Thanks - welcome to the reasonable side. Unfortunately I just cannot get interested in another Marvel attempt to create a female version of a male 1960's character (see Captain Marvel - twice!). Perhaps it is just because I have too many Spider-Girl comics...
KDS
edited by kds_comics on 4/6/2016
edited by kds_comics on 4/6/2016
0 link
expander
expander

5/2/2016

expander
expander
Sometimes it's hard to find good info when you're first starting out in the hobby.

I had a rough time myself, when I first found this site I knew very little about the actual collecting side of the hobby.

I was searching for a price guide just to find the values to post on my ebay auctions.

I had no idea just how common so many books actually were, I was asking for $3-10 for dollar bin fodder and wondering why i wasn't moving books.

It wasn't until I found the forums and started conversing with my fellow "boarders" that i realized the error of my ways.

As with the old forums, there are always a few passers by to the forums who post outside of the proper topics/threads and try to unload that old attic full of 90's xmen and nfl super pro, and every other image book from the early 90's for about 200% of guide.

I've found it's best just to take it with a grain of salt, smile and nod, and try to patiently guide them along. smile
0 link
lealew7
lealew7

5/2/2016

lealew7
lealew7
That is why i like to verify my prices for any comic i own or plan to buy, just so i am not getting ripped off and i am not asking some stupidly ridiculous price. i am not aiming to sell anything i have at the moment, but if i am lucky, they will still continue to grow in some ways; especially when the quality of comics are starting to falter as they continue to be mass produced so regularly. i miss the old paper pages and vintage hand drawn art and processing; now its all digital and you can buy them online as e-comics now like the e-books. i love owning my collection and searching for actual comic books. there is no value with those stupid e-comics and if you loose all your back up or data, then what; or a crash on a server; or even a hacker. no thanks, i will stick to what i do best, collect actual items, not imaginarysmile
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

5/3/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
lealew7 wrote:
That is why i like to verify my prices for any comic i own or plan to buy, just so i am not getting ripped off and i am not asking some stupidly ridiculous price. i am not aiming to sell anything i have at the moment, but if i am lucky, they will still continue to grow in some ways; especially when the quality of comics are starting to falter as they continue to be mass produced so regularly. i miss the old paper pages and vintage hand drawn art and processing; now its all digital and you can buy them online as e-comics now like the e-books. i love owning my collection and searching for actual comic books. there is no value with those stupid e-comics and if you loose all your back up or data, then what; or a crash on a server; or even a hacker. no thanks, i will stick to what i do best, collect actual items, not imaginarysmile

You can lose your paper collection very easily, too. Ever hear of fire or theft?

BTW if you legally purchase your ebooks or e-comics they are also available from the source again if you "lose" them. Also, it isn't about the collecting if you are buying digital it is about the READING. You also do not have open or handle the paper version thus not risking any damage.
0 link