Great comic find :) Messages in this topic - RSS

Borys13thchampion
Borys13thchampion

2/18/2016

Well i have been into comics for 30 yrs now , collecting and reading them. But now i wanted to start getting back into a comic book store. So i was talking with this over with my mom , she told me her bf had some comics. So i asked him if i could see his collection , and he hummed and hawed for weeks. Finally he said yea his comics were in the garage somewhere. So if i could find them i could look at them. I went out to the garage of a fairly new house , opened the garage door and wow , it was filled up to about 3-4 feet of crap and garbage. At that point I was very disappointed. But I crawled into the pile of odds and ends. Within minutes I found the comics. Buried under other garbage , in old clear plastic bags of all kinds , dusty , in cardboard boxes with no tops. My heart dropped , after all this time I was worried they were moldy , wet , falling apart. Took them into the house and started going through the bags. Much to my surprise once out of the old , dusty , dirty bags , the comics held up pretty well. I am just going to post some of the key issues , but there are so many , i cant post them all. Anyway , I love that i get to actually get to play with these comics , lol , well bag them and board them. I evened used dr. gloves when doing so , and told my mom not to touch them smile
Avengers # 1 - 9 , 11
X-Men # 1 - 8
Strange Tales # 69 , 102 -121
AMAZING FANTASY # 15
Amazing Spider-Man # 1 - 79
Journey into Mystery # 83 - 109
Daredevil # 1 odds and end up to 79
So all in all a really good day. Now i just have to get them CGC and then let him sell them for him. But yea that is my story , and i hope i can tell many more like this. Oh there are still a lot of comics to go through but those are the wow ones , I hope you enjoyed my story smile
edited by borys13thchampion on 2/18/2016
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/18/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Borys13thchampion wrote:
Well i have been into comics for 30 yrs now , collecting and reading them. But now i wanted to start getting back into a comic book store. So i was talking with this over with my mom , she told me her bf had some comics. So i asked him if i could see his collection , and he hummed and hawed for weeks. Finally he said yea his comics were in the garage somewhere. So if i could find them i could look at them. I went out to the garage of a fairly new house , opened the garage door and wow , it was filled up to about 3-4 feet of crap and garbage. At that point I was very disappointed. But I crawled into the pile of odds and ends. Within minutes I found the comics. Buried under other garbage , in old clear plastic bags of all kinds , dusty , in cardboard boxes with no tops. My heart dropped , after all this time I was worried they were moldy , wet , falling apart. Took them into the house and started going through the bags. Much to my surprise once out of the old , dusty , dirty bags , the comics held up pretty well. I am just going to post some of the key issues , but there are so many , i cant post them all. Anyway , I love that i get to actually get to play with these comics , lol , well bag them and board them. I evened used dr. gloves when doing so , and told my mom not to touch them smile
Avengers # 1 - 9 , 11
X-Men # 1 - 8
Strange Tales # 69 , 102 -121
AMAZING FANTASY # 15
Amazing Spider-Man # 1 - 79
Journey into Mystery # 83 - 109
Daredevil # 1 odds and end up to 79
So all in all a really good day. Now i just have to get them CGC and then let him sell them for him. But yea that is my story , and i hope i can tell many more like this. Oh there are still a lot of comics to go through but those are the wow ones , I hope you enjoyed my story smile
edited by borys13thchampion on 2/18/2016

bow Well done!
Once CGC'd he could probably buy another new house Lol.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

2/18/2016

Robbie
Robbie
Gilgandra wrote:

bow Well done!
Once CGC'd he could probably buy another new house Lol.

pix of the original find would have been good.
A nice grouping of the high-end Marvel silver keys. If the bf was the original owner, then they might be a candidate for a HA/CGC pedigree auction. They have customers who love "found in the wild" copies of the top ten in unrestored 5.0 of better.

I want to see a picture of the AF#15. Is it a $7,000 book or a $50,000 one? From the story, it doesn't sound like the next million dollar copy. Even ones rolled up for bug swatting and used as a coaster are still worth a few $K.

Nice find. I hope you're able to save those poor superheroes and get them to market. smile
0 link
stevegreer1
stevegreer1

2/18/2016

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I agree. Pics or it didn't happen.
0 link
Crowman
Crowman

2/24/2016

Crowman
Crowman
Sounds like a collector's wet dream to me.
0 link
stevegreer1
stevegreer1

2/24/2016

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
*chants* Post pics! Post pics! Post pics!
0 link
Borys13thchampion
Borys13thchampion

2/25/2016

""
+1 link
Borys13thchampion
Borys13thchampion

2/25/2016

I hope everyone can see that smile To me anyway , its pretty awesome , the only comic really bad is the Journey into Mystery. The rest are 5+ and the Avengers #1 is in pretty good shape , but i dont want to jinx myself . There is a comic con near where i live and and Stan Lee will be there , so i was wondering , would it be better to get them signed if i could , then CGC them ?
0 link
wchever
wchever

2/25/2016

wchever
wchever
Borys13thchampion wrote:
I hope everyone can see that smile To me anyway , its pretty awesome

And to me too! Congrats big time!

Bill
0 link
pthomas2010
pthomas2010

2/26/2016

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
Borys13thchampion wrote:
I hope everyone can see that smile To me anyway , its pretty awesome , the only comic really bad is the Journey into Mystery. The rest are 5+ and the Avengers #1 is in pretty good shape , but i dont want to jinx myself . There is a comic con near where i live and and Stan Lee will be there , so i was wondering , would it be better to get them signed if i could , then CGC them ?

I'm sorry, but I hate you now.
On the other hand, though, you just used up every bit of good luck for the rest of your life. It's downhill from here.
It's kind of reassuring to know that there are still collections unaccounted for out there. Maybe I'll hit the jackpot
one day too.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

2/26/2016

Robbie
Robbie
Borys13thchampion wrote:

If you want that, then you want them CGC'd while at the con. When CGC witnesses the signing, then it's a yellow label "Signature Series" stating the date and location of the sig. People like those and go crazy when it is a key that Stan actually wrote. (see your photo for examples. smile )

If Stan signs them and you send them in later, then its a "Qualified" grade with a green label and a note that there's writing on the cover. The yellow label adds lots of value. Buyers trust that yellow label as proof the sig is legit.

CGC also verifies the comic isn't restored. Buyers with serious money want to be sure big ticket books aren't restored (purple label). That can cut the value in half.

Not a cheap process. That would make them easy to sell.
Those are real nice.
0 link
genuinearticlecomics
genuinearticlecomics

3/3/2016

Borys13thchampion wrote:

Ahhhh.....the old question pops up again...."to sign or not to sign".

For the holy grail keys you have I'm in the "not to sign" camp.

I know its Stan Lee and all but signatures are still ink on comics. I have signed books (Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, John Romita etc.) but these books are newer and not holy grails.

Personally, I'm OK with signed books but not for the big books like you have.

What's anyone else think?
edited by genuinearticlecomics on 3/3/2016
0 link
sinisterss
sinisterss

3/16/2016

sinisterss
sinisterss
genuinearticlecomics wrote:
Borys13thchampion wrote:

I know its Stan Lee and all but signatures are still ink on comics. I have signed books (Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, John Romita etc.) but these books are newer and not holy grails.

I'm with you 100% I hate any signature on any of my books, I don't even like them on common books, to me its defaced but that's my opinion.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

3/17/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
ep! sinisterss wrote:
genuinearticlecomics wrote:
Borys13thchampion wrote:

I'm with you 100% I hate any signature on any of my books, I don't even like them on common books, to me its defaced but that's my opinion.

Yep! They are now a part of history & history does not look good with some sig. across it Whaaaaa?
But like i said before, Bottom inside page somewhere is just fine.
0 link
erichey
erichey

3/17/2016

erichey
erichey
Gilgandra wrote:

Yep! They are now a part of history & history does not look good with some sig. across it Whaaaaa?

I've only had a couple books signed (by McFarland). In the future, I've thought that I would ask to have the signatures on the inside front page. But I wasn't sure if that is common, uncommon, or acceptable. Like when you get a book signed by the author, they do it on the inside, not cover. I don't want comics signed on the cover because it interferes with the enjoyment of the artwork.

No one would ever ask DeVinci to sign his name across the Mona Lisa with a gold ink pen.
+1 link
gregbrookins
gregbrookins

3/17/2016

gregbrookins
gregbrookins
That picture is ridiculous......they all look new....smh.
0 link
oldschool90s
oldschool90s

3/17/2016

oldschool90s
oldschool90s
Sig on inside if cgc will honor with ss.... Ss at the convention.... And auction in a high grade auction site. Lucky day for you and the guy who owns them
0 link
uchihadesendent
uchihadesendent

3/17/2016

uchihadesendent
uchihadesendent
Congrats on the amazing find.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

3/17/2016

Robbie
Robbie
erichey wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:

I've only had a couple books signed (by McFarland). In the future, I've thought that I would ask to have the signatures on the inside front page. But I wasn't sure if that is common, uncommon, or acceptable. Like when you get a book signed by the author, they do it on the inside, not cover. I don't want comics signed on the cover because it interferes with the enjoyment of the artwork.

No one would ever ask DeVinci to sign his name across the Mona Lisa with a gold ink pen.

Sig inside is old school. smile
When the Image boys were still are Marvel, they popularized signing the cover (and writing comics with lots of splash pages to maximize the resale value of the artwork). That's part of what makes them the comic book industry's first rock stars.

Before that, people who wanted signatures thought comics were for reading; like a book. So they would be signed on the inside; like a book. Most of the comics signed before 1988 are on the inside.
iirc
+1 link
Borys13thchampion
Borys13thchampion

3/20/2016

Thanks ģuys , I love all the feed back. Just so you know I have 2 collections to look at today and will post my results . I hope the one is half as good as the first one.
0 link