wchever

all messages by user

1/17/2016
Topic:
A whole title is missing?

wchever
wchever
soundjunky: I'm new and had serious issues with the search engine used on the site as well. There are many different search algorithms out there and unless you know how they accept input you might not find what you want. One other way to track down an issue is to use

Search on Publisher: MARVEL
the MARVEL publisher links appears on the next page, select it
When MARVEL appears on the next page, click on the "W" link in the alphabetic line. You'll get two pages on Marvel W issues, go to the second page and you'll see a list of all WHAT IF? issues.

In other words, you may have to try alternate methods of searching to track down the issue you want.
1/18/2016
Topic:
Reporting missing issues

wchever
wchever
netstuffers wrote:
You should have received an email when it was added, or a rejection note if we had the issues already. Send me an email to shawn@comicspriceguide.com with the issues you submitted and I'll look into it.

Shawn,

I've entered a few issues over the last week as well and I've never received an email. I also reported a problem when I click on My Display Case, and not only do I still get a "Member not found" error, no one has responded to my bug entry. I expected reviews of new issues and verification of variants/scans to take a while, but bug reports, no. I'm paying, I expect some kind of acknowledgement.
1/19/2016
Topic:
Reporting missing issues

wchever
wchever
netstuffers wrote:
Ok, let me look into the queue and see what's going on. Sorry about the trouble!

OK. While you're looking into that, I was trying to add "Flint Comix and Entertainment" as a new issue, got no results, but also didn't get the Report Missing Issue link on the toolbar. And yes, I am logged in. See attachment.
""
1/26/2016
Topic:
Bug report

wchever
wchever
I would have entered this under the Bug Reporting page, but the ability to attach an example isn't there. I was viewing forum pages and the ads on the right side were shifted so far to the left that they covered some of the text I was trying to read. This happened on both IE11 and Firefox 43.0.4. See attachment.
1/26/2016
Topic:
Bug report

wchever
wchever
Oh good. I really do exist. I was wondering for a minute there.

Shawn, is anyone looking into the problems I reported, either through the Bug Report form, or in the forum thread "Reporting Missing Issues?" I haven't heard anything from anyone despite entering in two bug reports and leaving a voicemail message just yesterday. It's been over a week since my first entry.
1/29/2016
Topic:
WIZARD PRESS issues not tracked?

wchever
wchever
I've got some Wizard Press issues of ToyFare Magazine and Wizard, but don't see them listed in the database. Wizard Press is there and TWISTED TOYFARE THEATRE under it, and there are several Wizard one-shots, but not the serial magazines for other. These would fall into the NON-COMIC category. Are these items not tracked, or should I start entering them as new issues once I'm sure what I upload is being saved?
1/30/2016
Topic:
WIZARD PRESS issues not tracked?

wchever
wchever
CapnDoug wrote:
I think in order to be listed in the database, it must be a certain percentage of comic strip material (25% or something). Marvel Age and such would qualify, since it's largely comic previews. Wizard is almost entirely articles, so I don't think it would qualify. Besides, from what I've gathered, most copies of Wizard and such are only as valuable as the comic that it came packaged with (I really hope... I recycled most of mine when I moved aside from the ones that are used to keep my boxes tight).

Too bad. I think some of them likely qualify. (Recycled!? Oh, no, CapnDoug!)
1/31/2016
Topic:
"variant" cover of Amazing spiderman #69?

wchever
wchever
wchever wrote:
James, it's not a variant of #69, but a different issue. Marvel used the same artwork on a few different covers. It sounds like you're talking about (writing about, posting about) "Spider-Man Comics Magazine" #6. It was also used, with different coloring again, on the "Marvel Tales #52 Amazing Spider-man #69 Reprint." There may be more, I don't know. Hope this helps.

Problems with attachments on the previous message.
2/1/2016
Topic:
Where does CPG get the prices?

wchever
wchever
Yeah, I'd love for a 9.8 Siege #1 - Captain America sketch variant to go for $1,540, when there's one for $280 sitting on EBay.

Of course right now on EBay there's a 9.8 Siege #3 - Deadpool variant on there for $4,999, so if someone buys that then the $200 price on here would go up a bit.

I think prices are verified though. Some very rich collector might have paid for an issue on one occasion and it gets counted as the value.
2/2/2016
Topic:
Tax question: Lost collection in a fire!

wchever
wchever
Not a tax accountant, nor do I play one on TV. But I checked my guy's documents and it says this:

"When you claim items that you
lost in a fire on your income taxes, you must use Form 4684 to report
each item's value and determine the amount of your credit. To obtain
Form 4684, visit the IRS website at irs.gov.
Describe each item lost in "Section A" of the form. If more than four
items are included in the loss, use a separate sheet of paper to list
the items. Enter the fair market value of each item in the appropriate
columns and include any improvements. The IRS also requires that you
subtract any insurance payments received from your insurance company.

The IRS requires that you subtract an additional $100 from the loss
after any insurance payments. This amount is deducted from the total
amount, not each individual item. In addition to subtracting $100, you
must also subtract 10 percent of your adjusted gross income from your
loss. You can find your AGI on the top of the second page of Form 1040.
The amount remaining after you subtract those two amounts is the amount
of the total income deduction you can take for your loss."
I don't know how you get from what insurance will pay to the $22K deduction though. "Fair Market Value" doesn't mean "Collector Market Value."

You might want to read up here: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p561/ar02.html
2/4/2016
Topic:
I don't seem to exist

wchever
wchever
I reported the same problem 17 days ago after filing a bug report 2 days earlier than that. When I asked about turnaround time here, I got back an answer in the forum thread "Bug Report".

You can find the site bug reporting form here.
edited by wchever on 2/4/2016
2/5/2016
Topic:
Tax question: Lost collection in a fire!

wchever
wchever
Mooncricket wrote:
You know how long that carp is going to take?

If you had a collection of any decent size, I'd say you've got a new hobby for quite a while. If you've got skills with Excel it might be easier. Good luck.
2/6/2016
Topic:
Missing: Ultimate Universe #6 - Panini France

wchever
wchever
Title: Ultimate Universe
Missing Issues: All
Publisher: Panini - France
Publication Years: 2013-Current
Cover Price: 5.70

These books can be seen at http://www.comicvine.com/ultimate-universe/4050-58660/
2/7/2016
Topic:
Numerous Items I Couldn't Locate

wchever
wchever
Glenn, try searching by Publisher. You didn't mention them but with the link to "Adventures of the Screamer Brothers" I was able to see that the publisher is "Superstar Comics." So I searched Publishers and got Superstar, clicked on the link and saw two titles, clicked on that which got me to http://comicspriceguide.com/titles/adventures-of-the-screamer-brothers/xjyy

It's in there.
2/8/2016
Topic:
Numerous Items I Couldn't Locate

wchever
wchever
#1 is in there too. After selecting the issue, click on the tab above that says "Trade Paper Back."

http://comicspriceguide.com/titles/elric-the-sailor-on-the-seas-of-fate/uoss

Hope this helps.
2/13/2016
Topic:
Licensable Bear #4 HERO variant

wchever
wchever
This issue has the iconic colors of the Obama campaign poster. It was sold at the SF ComiCon in 2009. If you have a copy to sell, please message me with your price. I prefer to use PayPal for online transactions.

Thanks for reading. Collect on! (And to you sellers, we may bitch and moan, but we're glad you're out there.)

Bill AKA wchever
2/13/2016
Topic:
Grading: Your opinion?

wchever
wchever
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141901194547?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There have been a few questions asked here recently about grades. You know,
usually the "What can I get for these?" kinds of questions. And of
course the answer from experienced collectors around here has always
been the very sensible, and true, "It's subjective."

An example I
found on EBay think fits so I thought I'd try this poll feature to see
what the community thinks. This Deadpool #2 variant is being called NM
by the seller. His description states that the comic went from shelf to
bag. To my method of grading, this comic would not be considered NM. No way. But everyone is entitled to their own standard in grading comics...So..What do YOU think?
2/15/2016
Topic:
Hello from one of the new guys...

wchever
wchever
Hello, Shawn! I took a couple years off myself and a lot has happened. Trying to catch up myself, so good luck!

Bill
2/15/2016
Topic:
Micronauts #1 by DDP Cover B

wchever
wchever
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micronauts-1-3-Set-Dan-Jolley-Pat-Broderick-2004-DDP-Devil-Due-Comics-/391327659230?hash=item5b1cf234de:g:KoQAAOSwu4BV0jIg

Try this.

Bill
2/17/2016
Topic:
Wanted: Magic Bullet #1 comic newspaper

wchever
wchever
Willing to pay top dollar for a copy of Magic Bullet #1.

"Magic Bullet is Washington, D.C.’s free comics newspaper published by D.C. Conspiracy, a comics creators’ collective in the capital region."

More info is here: http://magicbulletcomics.blogspot.com/

Message me! And thanks for reading.

Bill