Plastic or waterproof comic storage boxes Messages in this topic - RSS

joeybuddy96
joeybuddy96

3/8/2016

joeybuddy96
joeybuddy96
I can't find any plastic containers (and no, plastic corrugated doesn't count) that are designed to fit comics. I figure it would be around 7.5" to 8" in interior width, 11" in interior height at minimum, and long enough to hold at least 100 comics or more. BCW's standard long boxes are 27 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 11, their graded boxes are 13" in height. The length measurement isn't relevant. The box can be shorter or longer and it would just require buying more boxes if it's too short. A 15" w x 11" h x whatever box would work too, you'd just have to insert some kind of center divider lengthwise, and that wouldn't have to be plastic. If anyone finds a box like that, seems like the company would generate a healthy revenue from the niche market.
0 link
wchever
wchever

3/8/2016

wchever
wchever
How about this one? http://alturl.com/5fqmw

I always keep my boxes in a cool, dry spot in the house. The niche market would likely be pretty small. Maybe if I was living in the tropics. (Ah, that sounds nice!)
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/9/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION...

NOTE - If you add title dividers, 11 inches interior height is too short.

Who says corrugated plastic does not count? Picky, picky... plastic is plastic
last I investigated it.

Get yourself a file folder container and turn the comics sideways.

Or just put up with extra interior space if you buy one
that is not made for comics.

Or use BCW corrugated plastic.

Or go to a plastic manufacturer and build you own...

As I mentioned, just my opinion.

KDS
edited by kds_comics on 3/9/2016
edited by kds_comics on 3/9/2016
+1 link
joeybuddy96
joeybuddy96

3/20/2016

joeybuddy96
joeybuddy96
The first box listed might work if I were to put a short BCW box inside of it. The point of a box that matches the book's dimensions is so that it isn't bouncing around loose in the box and getting dinged up.

Storing books on their spine side or on the open side is a bad idea for any type of book. It puts a strain on the binding. The corrugated plastic I was referring to is cardboard with a plastic laminate. It's way lighter and less durable than regular plastic.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

3/24/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
You will be hard pressed to find many plastic comic storage containers. They are not practical ... or necessarily "safe" for storing comics. Most plastics that would be used would off-gas vapours that are not good for the books. If you use a sealed plastic container you will also run into problems as well because, again, you would seal in gases that may eventually damage your books. While the current plastic comic boxes available are not ideal they would still be one of the best because they are already designed for comic storage and they can breath much like the cardboard storage boxes. Mind you if the environment that your books are stored in isn't good then it really doesn't matter what you store your books in.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/24/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
Oxbladder wrote:
You will be hard pressed to find many plastic comic storage containers. They are not practical ... or necessarily "safe" for storing comics. Most plastics that would be used would off-gas vapours that are not good for the books. If you use a sealed plastic container you will also run into problems as well because, again, you would seal in gases that may eventually damage your books. While the current plastic comic boxes available are not ideal they would still be one of the best because they are already designed for comic storage and they can breath much like the cardboard storage boxes. Mind you if the environment that your books are stored in isn't good then it really doesn't matter what you store your books in.

My attempt a humor above has brought out Ox as bearer of common sense. Storing in plastic box is okay for very short term fix. there is a reason boxes are paper - out gassing. Over time acid out gassing will degrade comics. Suggest using approved - acid free - container. The are specially made for a reason.
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

3/24/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Cardboard is a pain but I have found them the best option over the years. Thankfully I don't have to move my boxes very much any more Big Grin
0 link
BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o

4/15/2016

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
I'll have to go with waterproof. About 5 years ago, our basement flooded. No worries, I thought as I sloshed through inch-deep water. My collection was off the floor. Unfortunately, torrential storms were more than a pipe leading from the sump pump could handle. It burst and laid a bead on the one box holding my most valuable comics.

I lost 50 comics worth around $2,500.
+1 link
joeybuddy96
joeybuddy96

4/23/2016

joeybuddy96
joeybuddy96
Thank you for the replies everyone, especially oxbladder and kds_comics. I bought a couple more long cardboard boxes from my local comic book store, The Great Escape. I plan on keeping my comics in Ultra Pro sleeves and backers in the cardboard boxes. If I move to a house with nearby pipes or in a floodplain, I can buy some plastic bins to put them inside of until the bad weather has passed.
0 link
pmjeterjr
pmjeterjr

4/22/2018

pmjeterjr
pmjeterjr
I have been thinking of trying this out... acid free and plastic and 6 high stack-able. Thought do to the way put together do not know how well it would protect against water. https://www.bcwsupplies.com/short-comic-book-bin
0 link
Freddysrevenge28
Freddysrevenge28

6/26/2018

Freddysrevenge28
Freddysrevenge28
I duct tape up my boxes, its not fool proof, but will protect against minimal water damage. or in my case keeps cat from scratching it.
0 link
solarno
solarno

6/26/2018

solarno
solarno
pmjeterjr wrote:
I have been thinking of trying this out... acid free and plastic and 6 high stack-able. Thought do to the way put together do not know how well it would protect against water. https://www.bcwsupplies.com/short-comic-book-bin

From what I've seen, those boxes are really nice, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. Based on their construction I would say they are not "waterproof". They are sold flat-packed and you snap all the sides together which tells me the edges/corners are not sealed in any way. But, the one big advantage they would have over cardboard is that they will not absorb water and break down over time. I guess you could call them kinda "water resistant".
0 link
Rey22
Rey22

8/22/2021

Rey22
Rey22
Hi, guys. Signed onto the site just to ask a question here. Anyway, I was wondering about moisture-proof containers myself, since I live in a humid area and I've had some dealings with humidity damage and my trade paperbacks.

What do you guys think of this box: https://www.amazon.com/Leffis-Moldproof-Moistureproof-Collapsible-Container/dp/B0977ZM4L2/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2TRJ534KV7AK2X5D9K5M

Stumbled across it by accident. To be clear, I was thinking of putting trade paperback books in it. Do you think it would do the job or would there be the gas problem mentioned before? A moisture-proof case would be amazing in case the power goes out and I can't run a dehumidifier.
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

8/22/2021

BasementComics
BasementComics
solarno wrote:
pmjeterjr wrote:

From what I've seen, those boxes are really nice, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. Based on their construction I would say they are not "waterproof". They are sold flat-packed and you snap all the sides together which tells me the edges/corners are not sealed in any way. But, the one big advantage they would have over cardboard is that they will not absorb water and break down over time. I guess you could call them kinda "water resistant".

I have a combination of cardboard boxes using the bcw comic house for stability along with the BCW bins. With the cost of cardboard still going up, the bins seem to be a better value if you can get them in the $20-25 range per box (Amazon has a 5 pack for $129.99) as opposedto the box/house option. .
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

8/22/2021

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Rey22 wrote:
Hi, guys. Signed onto the site just to ask a question here. Anyway, I was wondering about moisture-proof containers myself, since I live in a humid area and I've had some dealings with humidity damage and my trade paperbacks.

What do you guys think of this box: https://www.amazon.com/Leffis-Moldproof-Moistureproof-Collapsible-Container/dp/B0977ZM4L2/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2TRJ534KV7AK2X5D9K5M

Stumbled across it by accident. To be clear, I was thinking of putting trade paperback books in it. Do you think it would do the job or would there be the gas problem mentioned before? A moisture-proof case would be amazing in case the power goes out and I can't run a dehumidifier.

It looks a little flimsy. Hope doesn't rely on the books them selves to strengthen a second container on top or so on.
Can't hurt to give it a go. I would suggest not to place another one on top.
I don't use the BCW plastic containers due to it not being able to absorb moisture/breath. Where as the thicker carboard will absorb moisture.
In your more humid area, Have you sealed your TPB with quality bags and boards... E. Gerber. (yes there expensive).
don't have a problem with my carboard boxes, still using all my original ones from the mid-late 90's.
edited by Gilgandra on 8/22/2021
0 link
Rey22
Rey22

8/23/2021

Rey22
Rey22
Gilgandra wrote:
Rey22 wrote:

It looks a little flimsy. Hope doesn't rely on the books them selves to strengthen a second container on top or so on.
Can't hurt to give it a go. I would suggest not to place another one on top.
I don't use the BCW plastic containers due to it not being able to absorb moisture/breath. Where as the thicker carboard will absorb moisture.
In your more humid area, Have you sealed your TPB with quality bags and boards... E. Gerber. (yes there expensive).
don't have a problem with my carboard boxes, still using all my original ones from the mid-late 90's.
edited by Gilgandra on 8/22/2021

I have not bagged the trades, no. I didn't know they made bags for trades. But if they're expensive...I might forego that. As far as stacking, customers say you can stack two, at least, but at the same time, I'm not sure I have a good space TO stack them, not long-term. So I don't think that'll be a problem.

But you don't think there would be the same gas issue mentioned above? I don't want to store away these books only for them to be damaged by the box.
0 link
Casper0312
Casper0312

8/23/2021

Casper0312
Casper0312
I have a pack of the BCW short black plastic boxes. On Amazon, They used to be $99 for the 5-pack, but are up to $130 right now. They snap together nicely too create a sturdy enclosure and I’ve stacked them three high with no issues. I like them because i have limited space so am continually bringing boxes between my apartment and storage room, and they hold up much better than my cardboard boxes, especially when sliding the boxes horizontally on a stack. I do recommend you double check all the seams to make sure they are all snapped in place. If you miss a couple, the box will come apart, inducing extreme panic. Lol
0 link
Xvipah73
Xvipah73

8/23/2021

Xvipah73
Xvipah73
Casper0312 wrote:
If you miss a couple, the box will come apart, inducing extreme panic. Lol

That sounds like a person speaking from experience smile

I use the BCW plastic bins also, I have 2 or 3 of the long boxes, 3 of the graded boxes, and 2 of the magazine boxes (they are great for full/half back'ed Silver and Golden Age raw comics.
0 link
lokyel
lokyel

8/24/2021

lokyel
lokyel
I use the BCW plastic bins as well. got tired of the cardboard one riping at the handle areas.

if you are concerened about moisture you can use one of the partitions and put dryall in the partitioned section with out damaging any books.

the other thing I like is the partitions can be ajusted so you do not have any books get a curve in them from not having not enough books in the box eather. I had that happen in a couple of the cardboard ones and had to have them pressed out.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

8/25/2021

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Rey22 wrote:

A good mate of mine gave me these pics of 2 different carboard storage boxes. One with thin and other thicker carboard.
Just a reference for you to look at.
I use Comic Defence Boxes. I have them up to 5 high with no problems, There very strong.
Hope that helps.

0 link