What makes a "Key" Comic Messages in this topic - RSS

rgeer3
rgeer3

3/30/2016

rgeer3
rgeer3
I was rather curious about this. I have been reading/collecting for near 30yrs on and off. But I have never really been able to figure this one out. Now, I know the obvious ones. 1st App, Origin Story, Death of, etc., but what about others.

Let's take Uncanny X-Men #375 as an example. It is priced higher than those around it, and even OSG goes out of their way to denote a Autopsy of Wolverine in their book. So, does this imply that it is key? When labeling my comics for storage, should I bother tagging Key comics with a Key Symbol or something? Or maybe what makes it key.. i.e. Autopsy of Wolverine.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/31/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
"Key" is a realtivly new term usually meaning - from what I understand - the first appearance of a character (e.g first Punisher in ASM #129). Or the first issue by a writer or artist. Or a significant event. The latter gets a little fuzzy.
My opinion is that this is not an exact term. Other opinions on my poor attempt at en explaination?
edited by kds_comics on 3/31/2016
0 link
genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics

4/1/2016

I think the term "key" is subjective. I think most comic collectors would agree that 1st appearances are considered "key" but fewer might consider an "event" story as "key". Key is whatever you consider it to be. OSG indicating Wolverine's autopsy may be because it's related to his death, which some/many would consider an "event" or "key". To me, what I consider "key" is completely irrelevant until the point of selling and then the only thing that matters is "does the buyer consider the book "key" "?
0 link
wchever
wchever

4/1/2016

wchever
wchever
genuine_article_comics wrote:
I think the term "key" is subjective. I think most comic collectors would agree that 1st appearances are considered "key" but fewer might consider an "event" story as "key". Key is whatever you consider it to be. OSG indicating Wolverine's autopsy may be because it's related to his death, which some/many would consider an "event" or "key". To me, what I consider "key" is completely irrelevant until the point of selling and then the only thing that matters is "does the buyer consider the book "key" "?

i agree

Yep to me it's either first appearance or the "event" of a character's death. AF #15 I remember owning when I was a kid. For moderns, Deadpool #45 or Spider-man #700 come to mind for the latter case. But what do I know. It all depends on what the particular collector considers "key."
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

4/2/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
It's a marketing term these days. It is so over-used though that it is irrelevant now.
0 link