stevegreer1

all messages by user

1/1/2016
Topic:
Ecxalibur

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Wow, forum reboot! Glad to see the forum back. Anyway, I recently made a nice purchase of Excalibur issue 1 - 50 (paid about $26.00 with shipping). Loving it so far! I think that Excalibur is one of those overlooked series' that was/is actually a great series well worth the reading. Personally, I think Disney/Marvel could easily do an Excalibur movie. There are already two
X-Men characters, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat, which would help the X-Fans relate. And come on, I mean, if they can make an Ant-Man movie, then certainly Excalibur would be worth it.
Alrighty then, let's get to posting and make this forum active again!
1/1/2016
Topic:
What happened to the old forums?

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Thanks for the info. I have been a Navy IT for 20 years now, so I know the headaches that can come from crashed servers and failed backups. The truly unfortunate part is that in many cases, there is no real way of knowing that backups are corrupt until you actually need to perform a restore. But hey, the forum is back now, and that is all that matters. Great work admins!
1/2/2016
Topic:
Ecxalibur

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
da gooch wrote:
Nice haul. Ive been trying to find a set of Excaliber or Alpha Flight at a price like that. Ebay?

I actually found them on shopgoodwill.com, believe it or not. They were all bagged and boarded and so far are all in really good condition with white pages.
I also bought a nice run of Alpha Flight a few months ago from my LCS. Another great series.
1/5/2016
Topic:
Ecxalibur

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Finley2020 wrote:
shopgoodwill.com? Interesting. Never knew they had a website for something like that.

Yep, I only learned about it last year. I think the only complaints I really have about it is:

1. The shipping charges can be a bit steep, and they take their sweet time shipping the stuff out. The 50 comics I bought were fairly priced for shipping, considering the weight and the fact that the price I won the auction for was way less than they would have cost at a comic shop, but it took close to two weeks before I received them.

2. The photos of the items they provide are not very large, so it is hard to tell the condition by the photos. Plus, the descriptions can be a bit vague.

3. The other is that it is an auction site, although a few items you can find with a "Buy It Now" option. And just like with eBay, you have the lurkers who wait until the last minute to make bids. I got beat out for an auction just last night by a lurker (and yes, I admit I was doing some lurking myself). It was a 6 book lot which had only two comics I was really interested in. One is an issue of Conan the Barbarian that I am missing, and the other was New Mutants Annual #2, which was the one I was really wanting as it is worth a little bit. When I bid it was at $8.00 and I placed a max bid of $20.00. Some lurker snuck right in with less than a minute remaining and outbid me by $1.00! By the time I realized I had been outbid it was too late to rebid. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
1/21/2016
Topic:
Comic Boxes

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I think a plastic box would be nice. I think having a couple desiccant packs in each box would certainly help with the moisture. I am especially pro plastic box ever since my stupid dog decided he needed to mark one of my boxes as his territory. Luckily I keep all of my comics bagged and the pee didn't soak all the way through or else that dog would find himself with a new owner right now.
1/21/2016
Topic:
Ecxalibur

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Agreed. Unfortunately, Excalibur came into existence right at the late-80s/early-90s comic over-saturation. I am up to issue 30 with my reading and I have to say that the Cross-Time Caper was just a bit on the confusing yet still entertaining side.
2/16/2016
Topic:
Interesting auction find

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Weeeeelllllll...... I am a HUGE fan of Conan the Barbarian. And by that I of course mean the original series from the 70's. I absolutely loved John Buscema's run.
Anyway, I recently won an online auction and got a few Conan the Barbarians from issues 70 - 90, not a complete run though, and Annual 3, along with Red Sonja 1 - 7 (the first series from the 70's) and the Conan Movie Special 1 - 2. I will admit that they are not in the best of condition with most having yellowed pages and some having creases on the cover. I initially bought them because I could have sworn that there were some $0.35 variant issues thrown in there. So I thought I was in the money....

But I was sadly mistaken. Nope. The $0.35 issues in the batch were normal issues, not variants. So I was kinda bummed about that because I could have sworn that the issues in the pictures at least two of them were variants. Oh well.

What was interesting though is that one of the issues, 77, is a double cover. Now, I know that in comics, errors are usually frowned upon, but I still thought it was pretty cool nonetheless.

Anyone else have any double covers? What do you think about them?
2/17/2016
Topic:
Interesting auction find

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Yeah I'm glad I finally have one. The only other one I've ever seen in person was a buddy of mine who had Quasar #1 with a double cover.
2/18/2016
Topic:
Musing on Conan.

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Conan is by far one of my favorite characters in the Marvel universe. I have many of the Conan the Barbarian series including #'s 2, 3, and 4 (no #1... yet), but am very far from having a complete run. I also have a little stack of Savage Sword of Conan and Conan Saga.

I also read all 12 of the Carter and DeCamp Conan novels when I was a teenager and am now in the process of collecting them. I LOVED them and read the first book in one sitting because I just could not put it down. I also have read some of the various other Conan novels by different authors, and even did a book report on one when I was in high school (what a nerd!). But by and large, in my opinion, the Carter and DeCamp books are the best.
2/18/2016
Topic:
Great comic find :)

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I agree. Pics or it didn't happen.
2/20/2016
Topic:
Grading: Your opinion?

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Well, I'm looking at the pictures on my phone instead of a computer, so the pics are kind of small. But from what I can see, the only noticeable flaw is some color flaking on the spine. The non-spine corners look sharp and not blunted. The book seems flat with no folds or creases. Color appears glossy. No pics of the pages though, so can't judge that, but I can assume they are good to go. Why would this not be NM? I can see it not getting a 9.8 or even a 9.6 grade. But a 9.4 is feasible.
2/24/2016
Topic:
Great comic find :)

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
*chants* Post pics! Post pics! Post pics!
2/24/2016
Topic:
WHAT'S HOT, WHAT'S NOT

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I agree that New Mutants 98 is way overpriced. The value is based solely on demand due to popularity of the character, and it really surprises me the amount of money some people are trying to get on eBay. I once saw someone trying to sell and ungraded copy for $5,500. I was truly shocked no one bought it! /sarcasm. One of my LCS's has an ungraded copy behind the counter for $275 and it has been there for months!

As for what I think will be hot are Excalibur Special Edition (1st appearance of Excalibur) and X-Men 120 (1st appearance of Alpha Flight). Hey, it's only a matter of time before the Brits and Canucks demand Disney/Marvel makes a movie about their home super-teams. And let's face it, these days it seems that movies are what drives up demand, and subsequently, value, for comics.
3/5/2016
Topic:
Unrealistic pricing on books for sale

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I saw some real dandies on here too. I just laugh and move along.
3/10/2016
Topic:
10 Cloverfield Lane starring John Goodman

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I want to see it, if only for the fact that John Goodman is in it.
3/21/2016
Topic:
Spawn #57 - Printing error?

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I certainly hope you have never given that store owner any of your business since then. Wow! Presenting a coverless comic as a printing error and charging you full price for it was petty at best.
3/21/2016
Topic:
What do you do for fun?

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Reading comics, of course, and I have also been in the process of cataloging my comics in a simple Excel spreadsheet. I wouldn't quite call that fun, more like a necessity really. I also enjoy cycling, hiking, camping, fishing, playing bass guitar, and messing around with my Raspberry Pi2... Linux is a beast!
4/15/2016
Topic:
What's so great about Nova?

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I just recently won an auction which contained A Man Called Nova # 7 and 22. I haven't read them yet, and neither is in the best condition (maybe 5.5 at best), but definitely good reader copies. I do agree with the above sentiment that the Nova Corps was/is Marvel's version of the Green Lantern Corp. And I highly recommend reading the Wiki article linked by G_A_C above as well.
4/15/2016
Topic:
Flash 129 and other recent Flash changes

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I just became the proud owner of an issue of The Flash #324 (Death of Reverse Flash) and I noticed that it went up in value recently as well. If you look at the price guide here it also shows the ungraded 9.2 value at $80 and 9.0 at $105. That is obviously just a typo.
4/15/2016
Topic:
Comic Book Eras

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I voted yes. I think it should definitely be split because there has been many changes since 1986 with paper stock and inks used as well as a huge turnover in industry leading artists and writers. And if you go by the 15-year average rule then it could even be chopped into thirds in a couple of years with '87 through '02 being something like the Brass Age and '03 through '18 being the Aluminum Age, and then have '19 starting the new modern age.