Would you classify this comic as NM (Near Mint?)

YES: 5
NO: 4

Grading: Your opinion? Messages in this topic - RSS

wchever
wchever

2/13/2016

wchever
wchever
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141901194547?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There have been a few questions asked here recently about grades. You know,
usually the "What can I get for these?" kinds of questions. And of
course the answer from experienced collectors around here has always
been the very sensible, and true, "It's subjective."

An example I
found on EBay think fits so I thought I'd try this poll feature to see
what the community thinks. This Deadpool #2 variant is being called NM
by the seller. His description states that the comic went from shelf to
bag. To my method of grading, this comic would not be considered NM. No way. But everyone is entitled to their own standard in grading comics...So..What do YOU think?
0 link
CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator

2/13/2016

CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator
Grading is subjective. It's not a science. I've seen things with CGC certification at 10.0 where you look at them and wonder if the person who gave that grade still has a job with them because it's at best 9.6. Ask 3 people to grade a comic and you will usually get 3 different grades. The comic you linked is not NM, maybe NM-, though. Heck, I know my mood effects the grade I give something and the price I put on it. Not by much, but it can easily turn a 5.0 into a 5.5 or a 9.4 into a 9.6. I sold a comic on eBay yesterday that I had listed as 5.0. It had been up for a few months, so I hadn't looked at it in a while. I looked at it again to get it shipped and my first thought was "I gave this a 5.0?" 4.5 would have been generous but reasonable, 3.5 would have been harsh but reasonable. I was in a good mood when I put up the ad but I also listed the flaws and posted a good quality scan of the comic. Just like this seller has. This seller has given customers the information to make up their own mind about what it's worth. Really, unless you are going to buy something with third party grading, that's all you can do. And even they get it wrong sometimes.
0 link
Laroo42
Laroo42

2/19/2016

Laroo42
Laroo42
Yes, I would say this comic is a Near Mint.
Using the description in the CPG grading guide, a NM does allow for some (very) minor flaws; NM is only a 9.4.
When I catalog a new, off the shelf comic I have just purchased from a store, I assume (yes I know what assuming means), that it is a 9.4.
Now, we could argue about whether it would make it to a 9.6? That would require a much closer inspection in my opinion.
Dave
+1 link
stevegreer1
stevegreer1

2/20/2016

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Well, I'm looking at the pictures on my phone instead of a computer, so the pics are kind of small. But from what I can see, the only noticeable flaw is some color flaking on the spine. The non-spine corners look sharp and not blunted. The book seems flat with no folds or creases. Color appears glossy. No pics of the pages though, so can't judge that, but I can assume they are good to go. Why would this not be NM? I can see it not getting a 9.8 or even a 9.6 grade. But a 9.4 is feasible.
0 link
erichey
erichey

3/10/2016

erichey
erichey
Subjective. Okay, got that out of the way. My opinion is too many newer/younger collectors think NM means perfection. Absolutely not true. And it leads to snobbery. Bad for collecting. (Not saying you are.) I've always seen 10.0 as an ideal, not a real grade. 9.8 is as perfect a copy as is possible that an average person can get from a brick and mortar store, that's handled with great care (even if read a couple of times), and there aren't any printing errors/defects. Now, as far as what I can see in the photos on eBay, I see that the spine corners have light wear, and there is some light stress on the spine. If that is all there is, this comic is Near Mint without question. Were it lands in that grade, I wouldn't guess without seeing the book. That's my two cents, for what it's worth.
+2 link
BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o

4/15/2016

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
I haven't sold on eBay in awhile, but when I did, I advertised a comic's grade across a fairly wide range (no numbers), and disclaim that I am no expert. I would try to take as many photos as allowed, describe the interior pages as best I could then let the buyer make up their mind as to condition.

If I were considering the above comic book, I wouldn't have a problem with the NM tag.
+1 link
evangelon
evangelon

4/19/2016

evangelon
evangelon
Non-colorbreaking spine dent center
Bottom corner chipping
Chipping along spine - common on today's moderns
Color break top right
Color break top left

9.2 press the dent out - 9.4