Interesting auction find Messages in this topic - RSS

stevegreer1
stevegreer1

2/16/2016

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Weeeeelllllll...... I am a HUGE fan of Conan the Barbarian. And by that I of course mean the original series from the 70's. I absolutely loved John Buscema's run.
Anyway, I recently won an online auction and got a few Conan the Barbarians from issues 70 - 90, not a complete run though, and Annual 3, along with Red Sonja 1 - 7 (the first series from the 70's) and the Conan Movie Special 1 - 2. I will admit that they are not in the best of condition with most having yellowed pages and some having creases on the cover. I initially bought them because I could have sworn that there were some $0.35 variant issues thrown in there. So I thought I was in the money....

But I was sadly mistaken. Nope. The $0.35 issues in the batch were normal issues, not variants. So I was kinda bummed about that because I could have sworn that the issues in the pictures at least two of them were variants. Oh well.

What was interesting though is that one of the issues, 77, is a double cover. Now, I know that in comics, errors are usually frowned upon, but I still thought it was pretty cool nonetheless.

Anyone else have any double covers? What do you think about them?
0 link
Dominus
Dominus

2/16/2016

Dominus
Dominus
I have a couple double covers I think. One was a Batman/Superman book from a couple years ago. They sell for way more. When graded each cover gets a grade I think too, with the highest grade being given the bigger label.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

2/16/2016

Robbie
Robbie
Double covers are cool. But not worth huge bucks. Unless it's a slabbed key.

The grade should be based on the best cover (usually the inner one) with a note on the condition of the other cover. It would be easy to throw away the worse cover - so price it as though that happed - and then add a bit for the coolness factor. Adding a cover adds a bit, but not as much as no cover drops the value.

Double cover does make it an easy sell. Any issue that's normally a dollar box book will sell for full guide near instantly if its a double cover.

One time on ebay, I saw a slabbed comic with seven covers. The outer cover was a big off-centered mess. Big Grin

There's a Green Lantern #1 (1941) with a double cover that's CGC 9.0. That's about as good as it gets smile

http://www.ha.com/heritage-auctions-press-releases-and-news/double-cover-copy-of-green-lantern-1-hits-the-auction-block-.s?releaseId=1152
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/17/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
I'm sure i had one many a year ago (i stated this in the old forum), Not sure what it was???
Other then that i don't believe i've seen one. Cool that collectors have them though.
0 link
stevegreer1
stevegreer1

2/17/2016

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Yeah I'm glad I finally have one. The only other one I've ever seen in person was a buddy of mine who had Quasar #1 with a double cover.
0 link
Laroo42
Laroo42

2/17/2016

Laroo42
Laroo42
Hey,
I have a friend who collects error covers and will typically pay more than guide.
Just saying...
Dave
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

2/18/2016

Robbie
Robbie
Laroo42 wrote:
Hey,
I have a friend who collects error covers and will typically pay more than guide.
Just saying...
Dave

I have a small collection of them. Maybe it's not really a collection - they aren't in the same box.

I also have a funny animal comic from the 40s that has one 'leaf' (one piece of paper, 4 pages) from a different comic - a war comic in Spanish. I think that's pretty interesting too. That probably lowers the value because the story is incomplete.

Got a comic or three published with a missing staple - not interesting or cool.
Different types of printing/production errors are fun because it pulls back the curtain a bit.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/18/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Robbie wrote:
Laroo42 wrote:
Hey,
Just saying...
Dave

I have a small collection of them. Maybe it's not really a collection - they aren't in the same box.

I also have a funny animal comic from the 40s that has one 'leaf' (one piece of paper, 4 pages) from a different comic - a war comic in Spanish. I think that's pretty interesting too. That probably lowers the value because the story is incomplete.

Got a comic or three published with a missing staple - not interesting or cool.
Different types of printing/production errors are fun because it pulls back the curtain a bit.

Don't ever get rid of them, In some years to come it will all become history (printing is slowly coming to an end). God forbid i'll cry when they stop printing comics.
They shut the printing press down (they did the local paper) in the town where i was born. The paper is still being processed but at another larger town.
0 link