Comic Boxes Messages in this topic - RSS

Bilgesnipe
Bilgesnipe

1/19/2016

Bilgesnipe
Bilgesnipe
How is it that no one makes a quality plastic box? I don't mean the corrugated plastic, I mean like a nice acrylic or Tupperware type box? This hobby seems to be too populous to not have something other than cardboard to put our stuff in.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/19/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Bilgesnipe wrote:
How is it that no one makes a quality plastic box? I don't mean the corrugated plastic, I mean like a nice acrylic or Tupperware type box? This hobby seems to be too populous to not have something other than cardboard to put our stuff in.

This question came up on the old forum.
It's because plastic does not abort moisture, Where Cardboard does. Having your books in a hot environment could cause them to sweat in a sealed plastic box thus rendering them damaged.
There maybe other reasons but that would be the main one i'd say.
0 link
Bilgesnipe
Bilgesnipe

1/19/2016

Bilgesnipe
Bilgesnipe
Yeah, but we keep them in plastic bags. And if you don't have a lid on the box moisture wouldn't condense.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/20/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Bilgesnipe wrote:
Yeah, but we keep them in plastic bags. And if you don't have a lid on the box moisture wouldn't condense.

Yep! I totally understand, That's the only reason i can think why the industry does not make them.

Also collectors place them in filing cabinets (metal, which also does breath) or wooden boxes as well which is fine.
0 link
stevegreer1
stevegreer1

1/21/2016

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
I think a plastic box would be nice. I think having a couple desiccant packs in each box would certainly help with the moisture. I am especially pro plastic box ever since my stupid dog decided he needed to mark one of my boxes as his territory. Luckily I keep all of my comics bagged and the pee didn't soak all the way through or else that dog would find himself with a new owner right now.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/21/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
stevegreer1 wrote:
I think a plastic box would be nice. I think having a couple desiccant packs in each box would certainly help with the moisture. I am especially pro plastic box ever since my stupid dog decided he needed to mark one of my boxes as his territory. Luckily I keep all of my comics bagged and the pee didn't soak all the way through or else that dog would find himself with a new owner right now.

Eww! that's gross. Well i know a new owner would be a understatement Lol.
0 link
CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator

1/22/2016

CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator
stevegreer1 wrote:

Can't say I've ever had that problem with my boxes, thankfully. But plastic comic boxes would not be used as scratching posts either. But yes, multiple layers of protection are always good.
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

1/22/2016

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
The plastic bags I use though are the Mylites. Supposed to last 100 years so no changing the bags in my lifetime. Library of Congress, and the Comic Conservation Company use them so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

1/22/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
Actually you can get a corrugated Plastic Comic Storage Box from Bags Unlimited

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-4027-comic-storage-box.aspx

The advantage - it would seem to me - is that it is more durable, won't attract bugs and vermin like cardboard.
The disadvantage is to make it acid free material, it is more expensive than a cardboard box.
The box is made from polypropylene - the same "basic" material comic book bags are made from.

Hope this helps if this is what you need.

KDS
0 link