Musing on Conan. Messages in this topic - RSS

shoggoth80
shoggoth80

2/8/2016

shoggoth80
shoggoth80
Ok. I have the Robert E. Howard set of Conan books, and they are great. Have some of his other titles too (Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, Almuric). I like the general world set with these tales. Looking for a jumping off point really. Do these follow the same "tales told around a campfire" feel that the Howard books do? In that you can pick them up mostly wherever and follow along? Is there a specific continuity?

It seems that Conan has been around for a long time in comic/graphic novel format, well before I was born. The Dark Horse stuff interests me. By that merit, I kinda want to read Red Sonja too (Dynamite). Anyone pick up the King Conan titles? I noticed Hour of the Dragon in there (which is a great story in and of itself, speaking on the original). Also, found a Conan of the Isles, which looks like a one shot story.

My local Half Price Books has some of the older issues in their comics bin, but I'm not betting on anything resembling completion in any way. It's a little daunting, simply because there is so much of it out there. I haven't checked the local-ish shops. Lots of Amazon wishlisting happening. I've been taking an hour or two a night to read lately, and flying through volumes, while fun, doesn't take too long. Lol.
0 link
shoggoth80
shoggoth80

2/10/2016

shoggoth80
shoggoth80
Ok, I dug these up at a local-ish book store. Chronicles of Conan Vol.4 and Movie Special #1. The movie special is a little more of a "just because." Price was right enough on both of them.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

2/15/2016

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
I enjoyed the Darkhorse books. Not sure where you live but try this link. Tons of trades from Darkhorse run to Savage Sword of Conan from Marvel. Prices are very reasonable.
http://www.instocktrades.com/search/Conan
edited by jokerbangedquinn on 2/15/2016
0 link
shoggoth80
shoggoth80

2/16/2016

shoggoth80
shoggoth80
Sooo much Conan! Lol.
That in fact is part of the issue of "Where to start?" I have the original stories, they're great. The sheer volume of collected Conan comics/graphic novels is staggering.
+1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

2/16/2016

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Well the search on that site is full of good affordable stories. One problem at times they don't list in order of when books come out.so volume one of Savage Sword collections in vol 1 isn't followed by vol 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and such like volumes per page. But they do have many of them and many other things you might like to try.
Just put books you like in your cart and keep doing it until you have gone thru all pages listing Conan books. Then from your cart weed out the onesyouhave second thoughts on. Order a bunch and save on shipping, which is reasonable.
Staggering options should be a good thing, jump in!
0 link
stevegreer1
stevegreer1

2/18/2016

stevegreer1
stevegreer1
Conan is by far one of my favorite characters in the Marvel universe. I have many of the Conan the Barbarian series including #'s 2, 3, and 4 (no #1... yet), but am very far from having a complete run. I also have a little stack of Savage Sword of Conan and Conan Saga.

I also read all 12 of the Carter and DeCamp Conan novels when I was a teenager and am now in the process of collecting them. I LOVED them and read the first book in one sitting because I just could not put it down. I also have read some of the various other Conan novels by different authors, and even did a book report on one when I was in high school (what a nerd!). But by and large, in my opinion, the Carter and DeCamp books are the best.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

2/18/2016

Robbie
Robbie
Savage Sword of Conan is usually fun reading. Non-code so there's more blood (& occasional mild nudity). In b&w you don't have the problem of blood being a weird color.
0 link