rgtichy

all messages by user

4/2/2020
Topic:
Pigeon Press Rescue Comics #1, circa 1990

rgtichy
rgtichy
Hey, I'm cataloging my collection from 1983-1998 and whatever else I bought at the time, and I have a "mag size" B&W, 48 pages, by Pigeon Press, called Rescue Comics and inside it says "Copyright 1990, Espinoza/Ortiz"
4/2/2020
Topic:
Pigeon Press Rescue Comics #1, circa 1990

rgtichy
rgtichy
01. TITLE: Rescue Comics
*Note, please use the indicia for correct title information.
*If title already exists in the database please copy and paste the link to the database entry in the space below.

02. PUBLISHER: Pigeon Press
*Note, please use the indicia for correct publisher information.

03. COUNTRY PUBLISHED: USA
04. COUNTRY PRINTED: USA
=====================================================
05. ISSUE #: 1
06. COVER PRICE: $4
07. DATE: 1990
08. ISSUE NOTES:
09. PRINT RUN (If Known or Listed):
10. ISBN/ISSN# (If Listed): none seen
11. URL TO COVER SCAN (If Available):
4/3/2020
Topic:
Collection Report Idea

rgtichy
rgtichy
It would be great if the collection functionality had the ability to run a report within a collection that could advise which items could benefit most from CGC grading. There are caveats, of course. The biggest caveat being the grade indicated by the collector when entering the books. If everything in one's collection is just "9.4" because that is the default condition, then the report won't be as useful.

One use of this report would be to best identify a set of books to send in for grading, to make use of price tiers available at CGC.
4/6/2020
Topic:
Collection Report Idea

rgtichy
rgtichy
I'm in the middle of entering a collection that is ~25 long boxes, and I'm trying to be pretty critical on the grading as I go. That said, I am occasionally looking at the values page for an issue to see what the "bump" would (might) be for grading it, and then making a decision to set those aside.

Knowing there was a report to run at the end that would make me a list of the best ones to get graded would be very nice.

Overall, I am very pleased with the collection functionality!
4/7/2020
Topic:
All-Star Comics feat. JSA 1976-78

rgtichy
rgtichy
https://www.comics.org/series/2321/

I can't find this series in the comicspriceguide DB.

Anyone have a tip?
4/7/2020
Topic:
All-Star Comics feat. JSA 1976-78

rgtichy
rgtichy
Yep! The hyphen throws the search off, but it's on the cover and the inside indicia of the later issues.
4/10/2020
Topic:
Hardcovers, softcovers is there grading?

rgtichy
rgtichy
It is my long time understanding that CGC does not rate hardcover and softcover books.

1) Is that true?
2) Does anyone else grade them?

I see that the Complete Frank Miller Batman hardcover has valuations for both raw and graded, for example...

But, on the other hand, the first printing of the hardcover reprint edition of Batman The Dark Knight Returns does not have any entries in the "graded column".
4/10/2020
Topic:
Hardcovers, softcovers is there grading?

rgtichy
rgtichy
collectibleshop wrote:
Don't know why people just don't go to the source and ask CGC, or google the question.

You think my question should have been "Why is there an error on the valuation page for The Complete Frank Miller Batman hardcover, because there is no such thing as graded hardcovers!?" which would have required a presumption on my part that no one in the world grades hardcovers for the comic book collecting community?

Thank you for your response. It makes the forums useful to have someone knowledgeable answer.

- Rob
4/13/2020
Topic:
George Perez signing event, make a list?

rgtichy
rgtichy
CGC just sent out a notice that George Perez will be doing a CGC signing event.

Just for kicks, post your favorite DC artwork by Perez?

I think I'll have to go back through the issues by Perez to pick the artwork I like best, because in reviewing the cover art, it's amazing how "static" his compositions are. They're so balanced... (compared to McFarlane, whose covers fall or fly out of the corners).
4/13/2020
Topic:
George Perez signing event, make a list?

rgtichy
rgtichy
I'll start though, by saying Wonder Woman #1. I think he did a fantastic job of bringing back WW and tying her back to mythology instead of invisible airplanes.
4/19/2020
Topic:
Crazy! "2020 Visions #1"

rgtichy
rgtichy
I'm working my way through the 1990's and what a lot of forgettable stuff.

But this:

2020 Visions #1...

https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/2020-visions/1/ritw

https://www.comics.org/issue/60319/

Anybody else cracked the spine on this in 2020?! Eerie.

Like this page:
4/21/2020
Topic:
How do you define a first appearance?

rgtichy
rgtichy
Do lots of you really want the DC Sampler #1 because it has the "first appearance" of the 'Batman the Dark Knight Returns'? (I'd say this actually is not what you are talking about, but it is the 'first appearance' of Miller's series.) aka, The series that broke the DC Universe forever.
5/1/2020
Topic:
Has the original art supplanted the comics?

rgtichy
rgtichy
So, I saw this week on ha.com that a Kelley Jones' Batman cover is auctioning off, and was at ~$19,000 this morning. As chance would have it, I catalogued that comic book in the past two days, noting to myself that the Kelley Jones Batman issues really aren't worth "anything", which kind of surprised/disappointed me. With the ready availability of trade paperbacks, which really remove "Half" the reasons to be a collector of comic books, have the collectors just moved to the only exclusive content left: the original art?

Am I overstating that, or is that a generally accepted state of comic book collecting?
5/2/2020
Topic:

rgtichy
rgtichy
Ron, did you see the recent email from CGC about the Doug Moench collection being sold through somebody named "Henn"? Doug Moench might be the most prolific Batman writer, ever? It seems to me he was writing Batman & Detective "Forever" and created Bane, the Black Mask, and maybe Killer Croc, too?
5/2/2020
Topic:
Some Fan Art I have

rgtichy
rgtichy
This is pretty much my whole collection of fan art:

(There is one pic missing, I have an "Arcane" in his spider-form by Steve Bissette, also from the Saga of The Swamp Thing era.)

Rob
5/2/2020
Topic:
Pricing question for older runs + Detective #405

rgtichy
rgtichy
pukie2122 wrote:
One such book is Detective #405. Current value for 9.2 CPG is $48 while 2019 Overstreet is $415.

I think, when you look at the details of Detective #405, you can understand that "The League of Assassins" was a big part of its valuation for a time. The League of Assassins was made a part of the Batman Begins movie, along with Ra's al Ghul played by Liam Neeson.

Now, and before, a big part of the value was probably the great cover by Neal Adams. (Who is probably channeling Bernie Wrightson's popularity in 1970!)

Fantastic cover, in the era of comics that I love best. DC had a really great dark edge going on in 1970, especially their cover art.
5/2/2020
Topic:
Any chance of getting some new reports or a query

rgtichy
rgtichy
  • A "gap" report, especially in the phone app would make it very easy to read a list of issues not in one's collection. Should display a compact list of issues the collector does not have: "1-12, 18, 28, 34-37" e.g. In the phone app this could be a toggle button within a volume: "What I have" versus "What I Don't Have"
  • A report I suggested earlier which would calculate the difference between the Graded Value and the Raw Value and list the collector's books that would most benefit (in "anticipated value") from being graded. Probably should allow a threshold amount to be exceeded before an issue would be listed in the report. (At least $30 if that's roughly the minimum cost of grading.)
5/3/2020
Topic:
Micronauts #7, April 1985

rgtichy
rgtichy
https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/micronauts/7/sixxj

Says "July 1979" in the DB.
5/3/2020
Topic:

rgtichy
rgtichy
That's an interesting perspective on valuing the original art, defiant1.
5/3/2020
Topic:
Some Fan Art I have

rgtichy
rgtichy
Yeah? Where was that, and when?
1234 ..7