Hardcovers, softcovers is there grading? Messages in this topic - RSS

rgtichy
rgtichy

4/10/2020

rgtichy
rgtichy
It is my long time understanding that CGC does not rate hardcover and softcover books.

1) Is that true?
2) Does anyone else grade them?

I see that the Complete Frank Miller Batman hardcover has valuations for both raw and graded, for example...

But, on the other hand, the first printing of the hardcover reprint edition of Batman The Dark Knight Returns does not have any entries in the "graded column".
0 link
collectibleshop
collectibleshop

4/10/2020

collectibleshop
collectibleshop
Don't know why people just don't go to the source and ask CGC, or google the question. You can also join CGC's Collectors Society for free and have access to their census and look things up to see if any are graded.
CGC does not grade hardcovers, likely because of thickness and most have dustjackets that are easily damaged and may warp in the holder.
check this page: https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/collectibles-we-grade/
"CGC grades most comic books that fit within the following dimensions: 10-1/2" tall x 7-5/8" wide x 1/4" thick (except comics with hard covers or jeweled covers).
Magazines: CGC grades most magazines that fit within the following dimensions: 11-1/2" tall x 8-7/8" wide x 1/2" thick (except magazines with hard covers or jeweled covers)."

CGC has been grading softcover graphic novels and most TPBs for a few years now. They have graded the Dark Knight Returns TPB, but some TPBs will be too thick. No census listing for the Complete Frank Miller Batman hardcover, as it's too thick, so don't think CPG should have a graded price, so likely an oversight.

Pretty sure CBCS doesn't grade hardcovers either.
edited by collectibleshop on 4/10/2020
edited by collectibleshop on 4/10/2020
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

4/10/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
It's fixed now. Thanks for finding that
Ron
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

4/10/2020

rgtichy
rgtichy
collectibleshop wrote:
Don't know why people just don't go to the source and ask CGC, or google the question.

You think my question should have been "Why is there an error on the valuation page for The Complete Frank Miller Batman hardcover, because there is no such thing as graded hardcovers!?" which would have required a presumption on my part that no one in the world grades hardcovers for the comic book collecting community?

Thank you for your response. It makes the forums useful to have someone knowledgeable answer.

- Rob
0 link