How do you define a first appearance? Messages in this topic - RSS

jimmytorres00
jimmytorres00

2/9/2020

jimmytorres00
jimmytorres00
Does anyone consider an add a first appearance? Or a preview a first appearance?
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

2/10/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
There are instances where an ad or preview for a comic gains attention. It isn't technically considered their first appearance but it does have importance.

For example,
Savage Dragon #102 has a preview for Invincible.

More Fun Comics #31 has an ad for Action Comics #1

As you can see from the prices, the market views them differently. Is it possible for this to change someday? Sure.
+1 link
pthomas2010
pthomas2010

2/11/2020

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
I don't really, but if I own a preview that people start treating as a first appearance, I'll gladly accept the boost in value. Doesn't really matter what anybody thinks about this, since the majority has already decided which is the one to own.
0 link
Imcubillo
Imcubillo

2/11/2020

Imcubillo
Imcubillo
A lot of times Previews magazines will have a brief 4-5 pages of an upcoming book. I haven’t looked but have any ever been considered valuable as they would show a character several months before the appearance.

I love to flip through them and throw them out.
0 link
drewzer15
drewzer15

2/12/2020

drewzer15
drewzer15
Imcubillo wrote:
A lot of times Previews magazines will have a brief 4-5 pages of an upcoming book. I haven’t looked but have any ever been considered valuable as they would show a character several months before the appearance.

I love to flip through them and throw them out.

The Marvel Previews for X-23 is bringing in some money. Also the one for Ultimate FF

Books get preview or ad boosts all the time. There are like 5 books that have an in house ad for Hulk #181 that people are going nuts over. Also Malibu Sun (can't remember the issue #) had an ad for Spawn and people lost their mind.
+1 link
Imcubillo
Imcubillo

2/12/2020

Imcubillo
Imcubillo
I used to have that Malibu Sun and used it to trace and work on drawing spawn and other characters. Eventually i just threw it away and years later i see that mint copies were going for several hundred dollars. The Previews are so big that the idea of keeping them does not interest me at all - however, maybe i will need to rethink that.
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

2/12/2020

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Daredevil #115, Thor #229 and Marvel Premiere #19 all have adds for Hulk #181. Malibu Sun #13 is a "preview" of Spawn, it goes for over $200 in NM, much more than his "first" appearance and Malibu Sun #8 is a "preview" of Evil Ernie and goes for over $350 in NM, again, much more than his "first" appearance. A real fan and collector of a character would be wise to pick up any "early" appearances. smile
edited by rixmaxx on 2/12/2020
0 link

4/18/2020

There are different types of "first" appearance.
First non-story appearance. This can be something like an ad or preview sketch
An appearance before they were "the" character we commonly know. Like shown as a baby, or before they got powers.
First cameo appearance. Normally a single panel of the story.
First full appearance. This is almost always the most valuable version.

Now, if you want to get into the weeds. Start asking, what the first Venom appearance is.

First sketch of black costume.
First black costume Spider-Man.
First cameo of Eddie Brock. It is his hand only, and retconned to be him. It is also a girls hand.
First cameo of Venom. Only as a shadowy arm.
First preview of Venom.
First cameo of Venom.
First full as Venom.
0 link
jarhead_84
jarhead_84

4/19/2020

jarhead_84
jarhead_84
Here is another one to consider.
Gwenpool
First cover appearance? Deadpools Secret Wars, naturally. BUT, she was only on the cover, and not as an actual character in any comic. More of a homage to COSPLAY people who were dressed that way.
Her first "Appearance" as an actual character was in Howard the Duck #1
So with that being said, which comic do you all feel should be the one to go after? They both fit the bill as first appearances, but in different ways
This is just my opinion, and as I have both issues, its not going to affect me either way.

Ben
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

4/19/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
Will the same argument be made for Punchline when Batman 92 (finally) ships? Batman 89 and Hell Arisen #3 are already both up there.
0 link
Ulyssesjasonnewcomb
Ulyssesjasonnewcomb

4/21/2020

If it is a character I really like then whenever the character first appears. If it is a regular character then first appearance is when the character first appears in the story. If it is a character that becomes huge and mythically iconic (Superman, Batman, Spider-Man level of popularity) then the first appearance is whenever the character first appears (ads count).
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

4/21/2020

rgtichy
rgtichy
Do lots of you really want the DC Sampler #1 because it has the "first appearance" of the 'Batman the Dark Knight Returns'? (I'd say this actually is not what you are talking about, but it is the 'first appearance' of Miller's series.) aka, The series that broke the DC Universe forever.
0 link
Ulyssesjasonnewcomb
Ulyssesjasonnewcomb

4/22/2020

rgtichy wrote:
Do lots of you really want the DC Sampler #1 because it has the "first appearance" of the 'Batman the Dark Knight Returns'? (I'd say this actually is not what you are talking about, but it is the 'first appearance' of Miller's series.) aka, The series that broke the DC Universe forever.

No, that is not the first appearance of a character.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

4/22/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
I define the tenth appearance as the first appearance so that I can hype the tenth appearance as being more valuable. I define the 9th appearance as the zero appearance. The actual first appearance is defined by me as the negative 8th appearance. Any background appearance of a character is defined by me as the prototype of some character that followed. Uncle Ben is a prototype of Gwen Stacy. Clark Kent is a prototype of Barry Allen. It's really quite simple if you don't think about it. I hope that helps!
0 link
drewzer15
drewzer15

4/23/2020

drewzer15
drewzer15
Imcubillo wrote:
I used to have that Malibu Sun and used it to trace and work on drawing spawn and other characters. Eventually i just threw it away and years later i see that mint copies were going for several hundred dollars. The Previews are so big that the idea of keeping them does not interest me at all - however, maybe i will need to rethink that.

Not the fat regular Previews catalog, but the comic sized Marvel & DC inserts. But FYI over the decades that Previews has been around only those 2 books carry any value. idk why X-23 does there are so many other interesting characters, but the Ult FF one has slightly different artwork than the actual cover.
0 link