rgtichy

all messages by user

5/3/2020
Topic:
Has the original art supplanted the comics?

rgtichy
rgtichy
There are not many situations where I really wanted to own the original art. (Actually "None" since I don't!) but IF I were thinking about original art, covers seem like the bulk of what I'd care to have. I really cannot see much long term interest in a generic "page 12" of any comic, even one by a solid artist.

About a year ago, I saw a "World of Tomorrow" full page for one of the treasury edition Superman's... that looked pretty awesome. It might have been by Garcia-Lopez and Giordano, or maybe Perez-Giordano, I think. That actually did not get too expensive.

edited by rgtichy on 5/3/2020
edited by rgtichy on 5/3/2020
5/3/2020
Topic:
Let's Start a War! : Worst Robin?!

rgtichy
rgtichy
Nothing like a good fan "War"!

Instead of arguing about the "Best" Robin, let's trash the "Worst" Robin in your opinion(s). Be very specific about what qualities of that Robin make it the worst version. Horrible origin stories, vacuous motivations, transparent plotlines, et cetera.

Go!
5/3/2020
Topic:

rgtichy
rgtichy
It wasn't great, that's for sure. Personally, I was never a fan of the first origin of Jason Todd as a circus orphan, but I was plenty ready to see Dick Grayson move on at the time, into Nightwing and the Teen Titans. It didn't matter to me at all when he died, because my "Favorite Batman" is Robin-less, anyway. Pretty much the whole run of Batman in the 1970's that I admire is Batman with no Robin. Robin was excused to be with the original Teen Titans, and that was fine. Batman alone gets into weirder stuff. Swamp Thing, Phantom Stranger, Spectre type stuff. Whether it's Aparo, or Adams or Rogers, Batman running solo is the way I prefer Batman.
5/3/2020
Topic:

rgtichy
rgtichy
AND, as someone who grew up ingesting the Pre-Crisis DC multi-verse, re-casting Jason Todd as the Red Hood is offensive, too. Older origin stories of the Joker make him the Red Hood before falling into a chemical vat while battling Batman. When he comes out of the chemicals, down-river, he's the Joker.
5/4/2020
Topic:
Story Arcs?

rgtichy
rgtichy
What is the process for updating the Story Arcs?

Is this an ongoing project, or something that has fallen out of interest?
5/8/2020
Topic:
Story Arcs?

rgtichy
rgtichy
So, you just type it in? I thought maybe it was linked to the list of story arcs in the "story arcs" area. For example in the "story arcs" area, "Knightfall" is a story arc, one that applies to those Kelley Jones Batman issues we were discussing (and I could lay my hands on pretty quick) so I thought there might be a definite link between the value Knightfall and the issues?
edited by rgtichy on 5/8/2020
5/12/2020
Topic:
Just Starting, Real or Fake?

rgtichy
rgtichy
There's certainly no reason to think any of them are truly "Fake"?

A lot of the Archie kind of books are filled with reprinted stories, though. (I'm not speaking to the issues you posted, but merely saying that the publishers frequently reprint material.) If you had a lot more stuff like those Action Comics, that'd be more reliably "sale-able" because long standing titles and characters are much more collectible than newer or less well-known titles, in the grand scheme.
5/12/2020
Topic:
Annuals

rgtichy
rgtichy
What I found last month (when I entered 6000 comics) was that Annuals are a headache to access if you try to refer to their "annual-ness" when searching.

BUT, if I want to locate "Action Comics Annual #1" I can type "Action Comics" / 1 (in the separate fields in the search) and Action Comics Annual 1 will come back in the results.

If the list that comes back is very long, I will hit ctrl-F (command-F on Macs) to search the webpage (the browser searches the contents that are loaded on the page) and search the word "Annual".

Hope that helps a little.
5/18/2020
Topic:
Mage: The Hero Denied #0

rgtichy
rgtichy
01. TITLE: Mage, Book Three: The Hero Denied
*Note, please use the indicia for correct title information.
*If title already exists in the database please copy and paste the link to the database entry in the space below.

02. PUBLISHER: Image Comics, Inc.
*Note, please use the indicia for correct publisher information.

03. COUNTRY PUBLISHED: USA
04. COUNTRY PRINTED: USA
=====================================================
05. ISSUE #: 0
06. COVER PRICE: $1.99
07. DATE: 2017 July
08. ISSUE NOTES: 12 pages,
09. PRINT RUN (If Known or Listed):
10. ISBN/ISSN# (If Listed): none seen
11. URL TO COVER SCAN (If Available):
5/18/2020
Topic:
Mage: The Hero Denied #0

rgtichy
rgtichy
Nope, I take it back. It is there but part of a mistake.

"Mage Denied" as a search returns two results.

Issue 0 is listed as Issue 1 in the second result, the scan clearly shows issue #0 on front, (it is numbered "issue zero" inside on indicia.)

Issue 1 is listed alone in the first search result

There's a trade paper back listed for the second half of the series, but the first one is missing...
5/22/2020
Topic:
Modern age slabs

rgtichy
rgtichy
You have to read what you like!

Plus, there's always going to be some disdain from one generation to the next... some of us have seen a few too many re-boots to not have become a little jaded, you know?!

There's always something going on that is new and good, imo.

I won't claim to be enthusiastic about a lot of what is new these days, but I am willing to try some, and I fully admit that a lot of what I read in the 80's and 90's was "crap" by even my own definition, now, lol.

Hope you are able to read this as the supportive statement I intend it to be, and not as a slight towards the books you are enjoying.

Rob
5/25/2020
Topic:
Stargirl television series

rgtichy
rgtichy
colbalt91 wrote:
I watched the first episode of Star Girl this past Tuesday and it is really great. It seemed to stay true to the old style comics I mean it was more straight action without stopping in the middle and getting introspective about the fate of the human species as opposed to equal rights for gerbils or deep psychological introspection ... in other words it was fun.

Where can I watch it?
5/25/2020
Topic:
Modern age slabs

rgtichy
rgtichy
rgtichy wrote:

There's always something going on that is new and good, imo.

I just read Brad Meltzer's & Rag Morales's "Identity Crisis" and I thought that was really good stuff. I just read volume one of "Kick-Ass" and I liked that, too. (Not quite as much as the Brad Meltzer, which is also surprising to me because I was inclined to dislike Meltzer and like the JRJR book before I even started either one.)
5/25/2020
Topic:
Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn Movie

rgtichy
rgtichy
I saw it opening weekend, and I went with low expectations. Certainly not worse than Suicide Squad, maybe a little better!
5/25/2020
Topic:
Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn Movie

rgtichy
rgtichy
I kinda think we're quibbling whether to grade a book as a 2.0 or a 2.5, knowing that neither grade yields a particularly desirable copy.
5/26/2020
Topic:
Marvel Comics 1998 Annual Starring Silver Surfer &

rgtichy
rgtichy
https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/silver-surfer/1998_annual/phvqky

silver surfer issue # 1998
5/26/2020
Topic:
Marvel Comics 1998 Annual Starring Silver Surfer &

rgtichy
rgtichy
(technically "silver surfer annual #1998") but search doesn't search annuals directly
5/26/2020
Topic:
Sam Hill Private Eye

rgtichy
rgtichy
Ricevila71 wrote:
I only have #1 of this title in hand. Sam Hill Private Eye published by Close-Up Inc. Copyright 1950. Any one ever heard of this one? Not in this database.

Nope, never heard of it! BUT, boy that is a nice looking copy of a 70 year old comic!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sam-hill-private-eye-1-archie-1950-condition-vg-/a/121325-12363.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515
5/31/2020
Topic:
Blocking sales offers

rgtichy
rgtichy
Honestly, I'm not sure I even understand the issue. The OP said "Is there a way I can block communication and offers to buy books I have listed for sale??"

Why would you not want communications about books you've indicated you are willing to sell? Is it that you're selling them on eBay and you don't want to be messaged via CPG, or something?
6/5/2020
Topic:
Stargirl television series

rgtichy
rgtichy
I wasn't too impressed with the pilot... I don't know if I'll go back to check out #2. It felt very "fake-y" (within the parameters of being a comic book based movie to begin with). The effects and production were such that the whole thing felt like a soundstage, the Truman Show or Pleasantville, but didn't seem like it'd ever turn on itself to become interesting like those did.
1234 ..7