rgtichy

all messages by user

2/24/2021
Topic:
More than one box?

rgtichy
rgtichy
This is the Verify Data page: https://comicspriceguide.com/verify-data

This is your ranking in the community: https://comicspriceguide.com/member-ranks
2/24/2021
Topic:
More than one box?

rgtichy
rgtichy
Within each item in your collection there is an "issue notes" that is personal to you. This should be searchable by the "stored searches", too. If I were designing the feature from scratch I would prefer to have a list of terms that an account owner can define for themselves, so that searching is not over a loose text field with inconsistent data entry. But that's me.
2/24/2021
Topic:
Home Page Grammar Police

rgtichy
rgtichy
Wow! Is it obvious that we've now hit 12 months into covid, and that it's February, the cruelest month?!
3/2/2021
Topic:
The Next Batman: Second Son

rgtichy
rgtichy
Okay, but it's not all that different from "Batman Beyond" either.
3/3/2021
Topic:
Comics Going For More What do they know?

rgtichy
rgtichy
Given how generally underwhelming the WCA was as a series, I guess that means there is some scarcity, too. But, how do you really get past the "underwhelming" part?
3/4/2021
Topic:
New Personalized Gains and Drops

rgtichy
rgtichy
This horrible! My near-mint run of Power Pack is crashing in value! 🤣 (oooof)
3/5/2021
Topic:
WandaVision

rgtichy
rgtichy
I thought it was good, real good.
3/5/2021
Topic:
missing: X-Men the Movie Adaptation TPB

rgtichy
rgtichy
https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/x-men-the-movie-beginnings/sksri

It's not this one, either?
3/8/2021
Topic:
Newsstand vs Direct Editions

rgtichy
rgtichy
And, the rarity versus condition balance changed over time. When "Direct" first began, there were not as many comic book stores, so "Direct" editions would be rare, but also more likely to end up collected and cared for. Then as there came to be many comic stores with "Direct" inventory, it became the newstand ones that were not just rarer, but still less likely to end up collected and cared for.
3/8/2021
Topic:
Graded 9.8 vs 9.6 Do you think the market?

rgtichy
rgtichy
Well, as someone who worked in a comics shop for 5 years or so, I would hope I have some 9.8 material, but I have mentally made some plans to get some stuff graded out of my collection and yet not done it, either.

It would be reassuring to actually see what a 9.8 looks like, from one's one collection.
3/9/2021
Topic:
Captain America #275 & 276

rgtichy
rgtichy
You know, I bet most people don't really remember there even was a villain in civil war. The civil war between Tony & Steve was over loyalty to the Winter Soldier and acceptance/denial of government guidance (oversight) over superheroes, which turned out to be Hydra oversight of superheroes.

Zemo wasn't a bad villain, but he was the third villain in the movie.
3/9/2021
Topic:
Captain America #275 & 276

rgtichy
rgtichy
I understand what you are saying. Maybe he'll be a better villain when he gets a more significant amount of the plotline and screentime.
3/10/2021
Topic:
Marvel VS DC!

rgtichy
rgtichy
StrafeFireRun wrote:
The problem with DC is how overpowered they represent their heroes. That is the reason that their villains are so great, they have to try and figure out how to beat impossible odds. This was bad enough with Superman being the answer to everything and it's getting worse as Flash is becoming more powerful with his Infinite Mass Punch. DCs villains have to be better to pose any kind of threat.

Another factor for Marvel superiority is in its Editing. Compare the number of necessary ret-cons that DC had to go through to correct continuity to Marvel. Most of Marvel's come from a desire to tell a different story. DC had to make corrections or discount history.

Yup. The flaws at DC were built in back in the very beginning, though. There was not a concept of all of them even existing together in the same "universe," originally. Like you say, having a Superman makes everyone else a waste of time. AND, they are unable to fix it. Even in the recent movie Justice League, my sons walked out of the theater with me (after hearing me talk of this problem with Superman for years) and my 18 year old kid says "So, they were getting their butts kicked until a Kryptonian showed up!"

But, guess who my favorite is.

Superman.

That said, the first Wonder Woman was a great superhero film.
3/13/2021
Topic:
Whoa....?! That's a CGC 9.8 ??

rgtichy
rgtichy
https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-eternals-1-marvel-1976-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122111-15197.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Now, I am assuming that the auction items match perfectly to the images at ha.com, but I looked closely at the high-res image for this Eternals #1 and I have to say I am unimpressed with the 9.8 grade on this.

I happen to have an Eternals #1 and was inspecting mine in the past week to see what I thought its grade might be.

I consider mine to be at least as good on the front as this 9.8, and I was thinking CPG's pressing/cleaning service might get me a 9.4 or a 9.6 if I sent it in after that.

I've seen others of this book that appear to have better light blue. (In digital images, admittedly.)

I've seen others of this book with better spines, for sure.

Best personal note of all, I had that Monogram model, "California Street 'Vette" on the back! With the 454 V8 and the razorback features all over it! Tacky!
3/15/2021
Topic:
Batman/The Maxx: Arkham Dreams #1 Virgin Variant

rgtichy
rgtichy
https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/batmanthe-maxx-arkham-dreams/1/pkurkww

So report it.
3/15/2021
Topic:
Where in this market does everyone find

rgtichy
rgtichy
The graded prices at ha.com are mind-blowing, too.
3/21/2021
Topic:
Falcon and the Winter Soldier

rgtichy
rgtichy
More traditional than WandaVision to be sure...
3/21/2021
Topic:
Zack Snyder's Justice League

rgtichy
rgtichy
This was SO MUCH BETTER than I expected. First, I hated Dawn of Justice, and thought very little of the Justice League released in 2017, so I wasn't expecting much at all. This was really long, but everything it attempted to do came out so much better than the Justice League 2017 that I was happy to watch it. The epilogue has some stuff in it I didn't really think I needed.

But the backstories and buildup to the battles with Steppenwolf was tremendously better. Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg were all much better characters and better parts of the film this way...
edited by rgtichy on 3/21/2021
3/23/2021
Topic:
Zack Snyder's Justice League

rgtichy
rgtichy
It seems to me that Snyder's vision was for a 3 movie run like LOTR (and the whole thing is like Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies series, anyway, lol) and someone threw that idea to the side, probably because Dawn of Justice "sucked so bad" it did not bode well. Because this was 4 hours long, and needed most of it for what he was doing.

The Justice League (2017) was like action scenes from this pasted together in a montage, and then there was that little crap scene with Flash and the Russian family in the pickup truck, to make up for the fact that they dropped the whole second use of the giant static discharge as a plot element.

And, "Batman is nutzo." is a much stronger theme in this.
3/24/2021
Topic:
Graded 9.8 vs 9.6 Do you think the market?

rgtichy
rgtichy
The part I find most interesting is that for each comic, the "first one" they grade has essentially no color reference to compare against, so fading and press inconsistencies in the color are "unknown"?. Unless CGC has a "library" of books to reference in person even if they aren't NM+?

Checking corners and spines and looking for evidence of trimming seems easier than assessing the color quality; blemishes are the easiest part, imo.