rgtichy

all messages by user

6/6/2020
Topic:
Blog Post about Your Collection Goals

rgtichy
rgtichy
Oh, those giant Treasury-sized comics are the best! I really do not think my friends believe me when I tell them that I truly learned to both read and draw from those things. Mine were beat to h*!! by the time I was 10, but I got every penny's worth out of them. I had an Avengers one that included the origin of Vision in it. I had the Superman one with George Reeves on the cover. I have this one from DC which has some Batman but also has the House of Mystery story about the little boy who can turn himself into a demon and scare his sister. (His family gets him a lobotomy to resolve the problem!) Flash vs. Superman in two different races to see who's fastest was another one.... they could give those things to every kindergarten boy and be pretty certain they'd be reading by first grade, imo!

They really did reprint some great stories in those...
6/8/2020
Topic:
Been to Metropolis?

rgtichy
rgtichy
Summer's coming up, aka "Driving Season", and if you are passing through southern Illinois maybe headed towards Nashville or Louisville or across to St. Louis...

Metropolis, IL is there!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Metropolis,+IL/@37.1561938,-88.7586576,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x887a06e4e57107b7:0x3f21b2db51d41bec!8m2!3d37.1511655!4d-88.7319979

I can say that I have taken my picture several times in front of the Superman statue in the town center.

As a kid, living in Chicagoland, I always wanted to go to Metropolis because it was mentioned (in the Superman Treasury Edition C-31, I believe) as the location of the Superman Theme Park! (Never completed, I guess.)

BUT, there is this statue.

AND, there's a comic book store on the town square.

Last time I was there, there was an ice cream store, too.

Driving with kids, driving with adults, this is a "small fun" place to stop and take a picture.
6/8/2020
Topic:
Been to Metropolis?

rgtichy
rgtichy
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2090

More on the theme park that was never built:
https://www.supermansupersite.com/park.html
6/9/2020
Topic:
Been to Metropolis?

rgtichy
rgtichy
Ronbatman wrote:
I've never been there but heard about it several times. Since we are in Indiana it would be an easy trip. Road Trip!
R

Not sure I'd say it is *worth* its own trip, even a day trip, but it is worth stopping for!
7/12/2020
Topic:
Top Issues Lists

rgtichy
rgtichy
Ronbatman wrote:
The top information area is something that we've expanded a couple of times to include more books. However, it only includes the top 25 issues. That's why it won't take you further.

Glad that you're enjoying the site,
Ron

Why can't we get these by title, by era, etc.? Is there not enough data to be accurate? It's just a matter of comparing the graded price against the non-graded price and if that is over ~$35 put it on the list? Maybe for each issue, we need to know a minimum grade, too? So a report would just say "Amazing Spider-Man #100, grades 9.0 or higher" or "Batman #470, 9.9 or higher". (That may be an example of why the report should not include issues that need a 9.9 to achieve the differential.)

Rob
7/16/2020
Topic:
Batman 423 Red Hot

rgtichy
rgtichy
Well, I hope Infinity, Inc. issues start to skyrocket, soon...
7/18/2020
Topic:
COMIC AUCTION - BLACK PANTHER, IRON FIST AND MORE

rgtichy
rgtichy
whatta lotta garbage!
10/24/2020
Topic:
My unread topics cleared to 0 from 30?

rgtichy
rgtichy
I logged in this AM and went to read the forums. 30 unread topics.

started on "adding volume or year to searching" and got distracted...

came back 45 minutes later, read the whole thread and clicked "30 unread topics at the top again" (yeah the counter doesn't change until after you have "read" the current one, but "Big Deal")

was logged out, too much time without activity.

refreshed, logged back in....

0 unread topics.

Whatt?????
10/24/2020
Topic:
export collection

rgtichy
rgtichy
Yeah.

I think you have to do it by "publisher" though.

So Go to your profile in the upper right when your are logged in, and click "Collection" and it lists the publishers.

On each publisher there's a button for "Raw" and "Graded" (all my graded are gray, because I don't have any)

I can click "Raw" and it tells me that the download is added to the queue...

A couple minutes later there's a message for my profile that says the file is ready and you cna download it from there.
10/24/2020
Topic:
Amazing Spider-Man 300 On Fire

rgtichy
rgtichy
Wait. Are there comics that Defiant1 actually likes? I'm not sure I have read any forum post that suggested such a thing.

😃
12/28/2020
Topic:
Wonder Woman 1984 Review - SPOILERS!!

rgtichy
rgtichy
"Golden Armor: Looks cool, but pointless."

Golden Armor: Doesn't look cool, but pointless.

Superheroes don't need armor.

Actually, a clever, consistent tie between Rick Riordan's "The Mist" in Percy Jackson books and the way Diana renders the jet invisible. Then she renders jets pointless, which makes the scene dumb.

Annoying that most movies cannot decide whether to tightly resolve things with character deaths, or to be comics and have them go on and on and on... closing doors as soon as they've spent $200MM to open them seems wasteful....
12/29/2020
Topic:
Been to Metropolis?

rgtichy
rgtichy
No, there is a full page inside C-31 of the Superman park in Metropolis, IL because that is the book I had as a small child.
1/4/2021
Topic:
Favorite way to organize large comic collections

rgtichy
rgtichy
As far as storage, I stored my books as I bought them. When I catalogued them into CPG, I numbered the longboxes to match the descriptions I put into CPG at the time. I don't sort or alphabetize anymore, so if I want t locate an issue, the best way for me is to look it up in my collection on CPG to get the box number and then go open the box.

In the 1980's I spent way too much time shifting runs between boxes trying to keep about half of it alphabetized and sorted by issue number.
1/9/2021
Topic:
I honestly don't understand the Turtles...

rgtichy
rgtichy
The first issue was really fun, because it was both a spoof and not a spoof of Frank Miller, and the turtles were written in/around the Daredevil origin story.

After that, I just never was caught up in the "fun" I guess. People say I have no sense of humor, sometimes. (I think find lots of stuff funny.)

Now, I just look at how much the Turtles have been in, and I 'just don't get it'.

Rob
1/10/2021
Topic:
Third Rail #1, 1981

rgtichy
rgtichy
Title: Third Rail
Missing Issues: All
Publisher: Feduniewicz
Publication Years: 1981
Cover Price: $3.00

This book can be seen at the: https://www.comics.org/issue/1156896/

My Image Scan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OnsjtJjuMI6F_gUFixLdFA_b8OlchRkr/view?usp=sharing

Notes:
25 of 48 pages (including covers) are comic strip material. (52%)
Artwork by Al Williamson , John Totleben, Tom Yeates, Steven Bissette among others. Bissette and Yeates have significant comic strips (by length) in the material, and Totleben, Bissette and Yeates all went on to be part of the "Saga of the Swamp Thing" series, during the Alan Moore run in the mid-1980's.
1/18/2021
Topic:
Steve Lightle has died of Covid-19, Age 61

rgtichy
rgtichy
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/obituaries/comic-book-artist-s-sudden-death-shock-we-had-no-n1254399

I thought this guy's work was great when I was a teen. He did some great work on the Legion of Superheroes. I had no idea that he was so young, nor that his big break was Black Diamond #4 by AC Comics! (Big breaks is not all Black Diamond was known for!)
1/22/2021
Topic:
Daredevil

rgtichy
rgtichy
Some kind of insert, maybe distributed with no cover to begin with? The spine of the paper looks better than I would expect if the cover had been removed?
1/28/2021
Topic:
STAR WARS ADVENTUES: SMUGLER'S RUN

rgtichy
rgtichy
rhymes with Bugler, maybe!
2/5/2021
Topic:
Some Good Advice in this Crazy Comic Book Market

rgtichy
rgtichy
Good stuff there!

Doug Moench really did a great job of stewarding Batman's titles in the mid-1980's, too!
2/24/2021
Topic:
More than one box?

rgtichy
rgtichy
Okay, so to scope out this kind of feature, we'd need to define it better.

First, we're not really talking about boxes for the new feature. "Boxes" are physical storage locations, and generally a user's personal holdings is the "collection".

Could "collection" be a name for a feature that users define for themselves? It's not a bad word, but it would mean finding all uses of the word "collection" in the current site and app(s) and thinking about whether another word needs to be used to avoid confusion. Or a new word is defined for the feature, like "Annotation"

The next question is whether "Annotations" are personal to the account, or whether the community would benefit from the "Annotation". This is tricky. If I want to keep a list of the comics that came out of my grandfather's basement, it's not great for everyone else (unless your grandfather's comics become known as a famous collection), but if you want a list of "Joker Covers" or "Venom Appearances" then that might be useful to everyone.

For example, look at "Facts:" on House of Secrets #92: https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/house-of-secrets/92/vcqpo

The second part is also very similar to a feature Ron is already working on, "Story Arcs", but also not real far off from what "Creators" and "Characters" are to the CPG site.

Some versions of the feature are sort of like "stored search definitions" though. "Show me a list of Joker covers in my collection." --or-- "Show me a list of Joker covers not in my collection".

What would make all of this work well is 3 things:
  • Users help build out the Story Arcs, Characters and Creators data possibly by crowdsourcing the info via a ranking system that keeps user contributed suggestions out until they have been "thumbs-ed up" by a certain number of users with weighting by the users' member ranking.... HEY! Maybe everyone could actually work (harder) on the "Verify Data" feature that improves all of the facts on the issues!
  • Users desire a personal "Annotation" feature where they can keep private notes about specific books in their collection.
  • Users want a feature that stores "searches" that execute on each demand, and those searches can be defined to search all the terms: Annotations, Story Arcs, Characters, Creators, titles, publishers ...
1234 ..7