Pricing question for older runs + Detective #405 Messages in this topic - RSS

pukie2122
pukie2122

4/30/2020

pukie2122
pukie2122
Hello, I have a question about CPG pricing on original series long-running titles especially DC like Superman, Batman, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, etc. The older 12 and 15cent books from the 1960's and early 1970's that maybe older collectors buy...? Perhaps mostly bought at conventions and less so on-line?? I don't know...

I have read some posts that explain how CPG determines pricing. As I understand, it seems to be based on actual ebay sales and other documented sales which may include recent price swings due to movies or popularity. Plus your own computer program which may blend the price across all grades.

For pricing guidance, I usually use your site plus Overstreet. I understand you are able to react to market prices much faster than a printed price guide that comes out only once a year. That's a great asset and I enjoy using your reference

Usually but not always, there is some amount of correlation to comic book pricing between leading prominent companies. Sometimes there are wide price differences. More rarely, there are books or runs which are separated by extreme price differences not explained by recent trends, movies, etc.

One such book is Detective #405. Current value for 9.2 CPG is $48 while 2019 Overstreet is $415.

Would this be something to review?
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

5/1/2020

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
pukie2122 wrote:
Hello, I have a question about CPG pricing on original series long-running titles especially DC like Superman, Batman, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, etc. The older 12 and 15cent books from the 1960's and early 1970's that maybe older collectors buy...? Perhaps mostly bought at conventions and less so on-line?? I don't know...

I have read some posts that explain how CPG determines pricing. As I understand, it seems to be based on actual ebay sales and other documented sales which may include recent price swings due to movies or popularity. Plus your own computer program which may blend the price across all grades.

For pricing guidance, I usually use your site plus Overstreet. I understand you are able to react to market prices much faster than a printed price guide that comes out only once a year. That's a great asset and I enjoy using your reference

Usually but not always, there is some amount of correlation to comic book pricing between leading prominent companies. Sometimes there are wide price differences. More rarely, there are books or runs which are separated by extreme price differences not explained by recent trends, movies, etc.

One such book is Detective #405. Current value for 9.2 CPG is $48 while 2019 Overstreet is $415.

Would this be something to review?

If you look at recent sales on Ebay, (last couple months) of that book in the VF range, sales are all over, from $40 to $200. So that is a really "weird" book, it was "Hot", is it now? Some books are hard to put a true value on and you have to do your own "research" and bid accordingly.
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

5/2/2020

rgtichy
rgtichy
pukie2122 wrote:

I think, when you look at the details of Detective #405, you can understand that "The League of Assassins" was a big part of its valuation for a time. The League of Assassins was made a part of the Batman Begins movie, along with Ra's al Ghul played by Liam Neeson.

Now, and before, a big part of the value was probably the great cover by Neal Adams. (Who is probably channeling Bernie Wrightson's popularity in 1970!)

Fantastic cover, in the era of comics that I love best. DC had a really great dark edge going on in 1970, especially their cover art.
0 link

5/3/2020

Thank you for your replies. I did not know the League of Assassins were featured in a movie.

I have seen some but not all comic related movies. They seem to be great stand-alone entertainment but separate from the books . I don't follow the movies much. Because my passion is for the original books, the art and the stories. The continuity that was there for decades. And the way it sometimes blended with real life Americana.
+1 link