colbalt91

all messages by user

5/4/2016
Topic:
Captain America: Civil War

colbalt91
colbalt91
I saw the new Captain America movie last night and it is very good. And, yes, Spider-Man is very entertaining and makes you look forward to his upcoming movie. Tom Holland has a very young sounding voice which is perfect as Marvel wants to reintroduce Spider-Man in his high school years in the later movie. You also get to see the new updated aunt May. Now that I try to remember I do not know if the Black Panther character ever introduced himself as the Black Panther. The movie is about two and a half hours long, so make sure you take care of your bathroom duties before you go into the theater. And, of course, there is the after-credits sequence.
5/8/2016
Topic:
The first Black Panther sells for $90,000

colbalt91
colbalt91
Now I see on Bleeding Cool that the current Black Panther #1 comic is selling for $20 on eBay. And they point out that 300,000 copies were printed.
5/17/2016
Topic:
The Angry Birds Movie

colbalt91
colbalt91
Great animation, but a really dumb plot. Will still appeal to kids, but adults will have to endure the dumbness when they get stuck taking their kids. A small tincture of anger management is all there is to an attempt at a subplot. Amazingly, Sean Penn voices one of the characters and it is not the one needing anger management.
edited by colbalt91 on 5/18/2016
5/17/2016
Topic:
The Nice Guys

colbalt91
colbalt91
Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling play two private eye types in the year of 1977 in Hollywood, California. This is a buddy movie and in that regard it works...just don't look too closely at the logic of the plot. Sometimes it is down to earth gritty and then it goes all cartoony like a Tom and Jerry movie. Shane Black, the director, loses control of The Nice Guys. The film captures the 1977 era very well. Watch out for 15 year old Angourie Rice who nearly steals the movie from Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling. In the acting profession, they always say never work with a child and Angourie Rice is an excellent example of that saying come to life.
5/18/2016
Topic:
Gwenom Is Coming

colbalt91
colbalt91
I see by our own price guide that this issue is now at $24. I bought about 20 or 30 when it first came out.
5/24/2016
Topic:
DC Rebirth

colbalt91
colbalt91
It seems like Dr. Manhattan created the new DC Universe and Kid Flash is back too. And in a corner you can even see Steel... so Shaq might still have a movie career.
edited by colbalt91 on 5/24/2016
5/27/2016
Topic:
Captain America: Civil War

colbalt91
colbalt91
The main flaw I saw in the Civil War movie was the villain who seemed to be, at first, a very formidable foe(especially with the name 'Zemo') only to keep 'melting' down to an almost ordinary guy who couldn't even off himself at the end. They always say the villain makes or breaks the story.
6/1/2016
Topic:
What's the deal with x-23...

colbalt91
colbalt91
Hugh Jackman had announced the next Wolverine movie would be his last, so everyone assumed they would just get another male actor to take his place...but what if they decide to bring his 'daughter' on board instead?
6/1/2016
Topic:
TMNT: Out of the Shadows

colbalt91
colbalt91
I was never a fan of the Ninja Turtle movies from the nineties, so this was my first attempt to see a Turtle movie since then. And what a difference time makes. This movie gets an A-Plus. Everybody in it was outstanding. I really thought that the new X-Men movie would stay at number one for one more week, but not with this movie coming out. This movie will blow the doors down at the box office. Even Tyler Perry was good as he played himself...a total doofus. And, no, there is no sequence after all the credits roll at the end.
6/3/2016
Topic:
X-MEN APOCALYPSE

colbalt91
colbalt91
I just saw it tonight. It was pretty good. This time there was a cameo by Stan Lee and his wife. Now the movie is in the eighties which causes me confusion because I have to keep all the movies straight plus all the comic books I have read. Plus some of the actors have changed.
6/8/2016
Topic:
Warcraft

colbalt91
colbalt91
I did not think this movie was that good. Some of the main actors look like they would have trouble lifting a nail file much less some of the heavy duty swords in the movie. Paula Patton looks more fit then most of the male actors. So I do not think anybody did any body training. Too much CGI. And the Orcs, the bad guys, speak a guttural language which is at times hard to understand. And, yes, there will definitely be a sequel by all the events that transpire in this movie.
6/14/2016
Topic:
Central Intelligence

colbalt91
colbalt91
Central Intelligence is a really great movie. The Rock is getting better and better at acting, and Kevin Hart is more subdued in this film. Even though the movie trailers play this film up as a comedy it is more an adventure movie with comedy relief. Also, it could be considered another great buddy movie. In this movie Kevin Hart plays a man who had his greatest days in high school. Then into his life pops up the high school loser who has since revamped his entire life. He gets Kevin's character into a big espionage mess and Kevin is caught up in the ride of his life. All his character wants is out, but the more he tries, the deeper his involvement gets. This is a very solid movie. The action works and the comedy works.
edited by colbalt91 on 6/14/2016
6/22/2016
Topic:
BFG directed by Steven Spielberg

colbalt91
colbalt91
BFG, a new Disney movie, starts out with the right feeling and atmosphere for a fantasy movie, but after about two-thirds of the way through, the film just seems to run out of steam. Part of this may be that the characters enter into the modern world, which for this movie is the early 1980s, when the book was written. Until then the characters were in the same period, but far enough removed that the magical spell that was spun was not interrupted. Mark Rylance, with some CGI help, plays the Big Friendly Giant. Yes, that is what BFG stands for. Steven Spielberg directed this movie. It is 2 hours long.
6/29/2016
Topic:
The Legend of Tarzan

colbalt91
colbalt91
This movie is a very mild version of the Tarzan we know. This Tarzan is at home in England having returned from Africa many years ago. He reluctantly agrees to go back, and his wife Jane played by Margot Robbie, accompanies him as she is more anxious to return than he is. In fact, to show the reluctance Tarzan has to Africa now, he is shown for about half the picture walking around in his civilized clothes. And whenever you think there is a big fight coming up, somehow he negotiates his way out without anybody being killed. This is not your father's Tarzan. Throughout the movie there are allusions made to his once savage nature, but that is as far as you get. It is nearly at the end of the movie that Tarzan picks up a bone to use as a knife. Yes, this is a very mild version of Tarzan. So while the actors are good in their roles the script holds the movie down. This film is directed by David Yates who directed four Harry Potter movies, one of which I fell asleep in. If you have to see The Legend of Tarzan wait for the DVD or for it to get to television.
edited by colbalt91 on 6/29/2016
edited by colbalt91 on 6/29/2016
7/3/2016
Topic:
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

colbalt91
colbalt91
If someone had told me that Zac Efron could keep his clothes on for an entire movie I would have said it was impossible. If someone had told me the Zac Efron could actually make a good movie I would have said it was impossible. In the movie "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates", Zac Efron does the impossible. He keeps his clothes on for the entire movie, except for a less than one minute scene where he is simply bare-chested on the beach, and he made a genuinely funny movie. In this film, two brothers, named Mike and Dave, are told by their parents to bring dates to their sister's wedding to hopefully forestall them from getting drunk and causing chaos as they have done in the past at every social event they have ever attended. They unknowingly invite two girls that are only interested in taking a trip to Hawaii where their sister's wedding will be. One of the girls is played by Aubrey Plaza, who was the only good thing to come out of Zac Efron's prior movie," Dirty Grandpa." This movie was almost as funny as "Wedding Crashers." And some may argue it is just as funny. So, next weekend, check out " Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates." You will not be disappointed.
7/4/2016
Topic:
CapnDoug's Back Issue Discoveries

colbalt91
colbalt91
Someone once told me that that tattoos are not exclusive to that issue of Spider-Man and that you could purchase another comic that never went up in price and take the tattoo out of that one and put it into an issue of number 238 that might be missing a tattoo. It's as simple as that... At least that is what the guy told me.
7/13/2016
Topic:
Detective Comics # 936 cover changes...

colbalt91
colbalt91
Today Detective Comics number 936 was supposed to have a cover with Batman facing forward and an American flag torn to look like the bat symbol hanging on an alley wall behind him. I went out to buy it as I thought it looked cool and instead they have another cover and the cover I want is nowhere to be seen. Even Bleeding Cool is asleep on this one.
7/14/2016
Topic:
Ghostbusters starring Melissa McCarthy

colbalt91
colbalt91
I had misgivings about seeing this movie. There was internet talk that this current version of "Ghostbusters" with an all-female cast had problems. Regardless of what was said, this movie is alright. It is not as good as the original, but anybody that sees it will probably find it very acceptable. Probably part of this is there is so much from the original that pops up in here from costumes, to the emblem, and to guest stars from the original movie that it will all seem very familiar. Even the original theme the never plays for long, seems to keep popping up throughout the film and even supplants Fall Out Boy's new version of Ghostbusters in the opening credits.
Melissa McCarthy is still losing weight and has to wear bulky clothing, as she did in her previous movie, "The Boss," to hide this fact . I guess this is due to the popular opinion that fat people are generally seen as funnier than thin people. Kate McKinnon, who plays the scientific brain in the group, appears to have been allowed to ad-lib some of her routines for the movie. Some work and some don't. What I mean is sometimes she will do something and you will just scratch your head as to why she did it.
Be aware, that in the first 5 minutes there is a tribute/appearance of the dead Harold Ramis. So if five minutes passes and you have not noticed it, then you missed it. All the original members, except for Rick Moranis, pop up somewhere later in the movie. Stay for the end of the credits as there is another scene which indicates there will probably be a sequel.
7/22/2016
Topic:
Star Trek Beyond

colbalt91
colbalt91
"Star Trek Beyond" is a little bit Star Trek and a little bit Star Wars. By this I mean the writers obviously are trying to update the stodginess of the television show to the more popular antics of the Star Wars generation. There are more CGI effects for intergalactic battles with the Enterprise. At the same time the writers try to develop the characters and we find out that Spock might be a minor stalker and that Sulu is gay. Why we need to find out that Sulu is gay really adds nothing to the plot and seems little more than pandering to a potential homosexual audience. Even George Takei came out against this revelation as even he sees it as an unnecessary plot development. The villain, Krall, has a confusing agenda. And, an added character, named Jaylah appears to look like she came out of a Star Wars movie more than a Star Trek film. It seems like this character has the potential to return later. This would fit in with demise of the real life actor playing Chekhov. It has been let known that there will no longer be a Chekhov character in further Star Trek movies. I for one am glad of this as I think the actor playing this character has the worst Russian accent I have ever heard. This is particularly embarrassing as I think the actor is of Russian extraction. Overall, "Star Trek Beyond," it is mildly entertaining and, of course, Star Trek fans will forgive a wandering plot.
edited by colbalt91 on 7/22/2016
edited by colbalt91 on 7/22/2016
7/30/2016
Topic:
Issues selling too cheap online.

colbalt91
colbalt91
What about issues selling for too much as I have just looked at the Lyria Exchange and they have Moon girl and Devil Dinosaur number 1 at a 9.8 going for $93 currently. Take away the cost of the case which would be about $40 and you have people willing to pay $53 plus shipping for this comic book.
1234 ..15