Star Trek Beyond Messages in this topic - RSS

colbalt91
colbalt91

7/22/2016

colbalt91
colbalt91
"Star Trek Beyond" is a little bit Star Trek and a little bit Star Wars. By this I mean the writers obviously are trying to update the stodginess of the television show to the more popular antics of the Star Wars generation. There are more CGI effects for intergalactic battles with the Enterprise. At the same time the writers try to develop the characters and we find out that Spock might be a minor stalker and that Sulu is gay. Why we need to find out that Sulu is gay really adds nothing to the plot and seems little more than pandering to a potential homosexual audience. Even George Takei came out against this revelation as even he sees it as an unnecessary plot development. The villain, Krall, has a confusing agenda. And, an added character, named Jaylah appears to look like she came out of a Star Wars movie more than a Star Trek film. It seems like this character has the potential to return later. This would fit in with demise of the real life actor playing Chekhov. It has been let known that there will no longer be a Chekhov character in further Star Trek movies. I for one am glad of this as I think the actor playing this character has the worst Russian accent I have ever heard. This is particularly embarrassing as I think the actor is of Russian extraction. Overall, "Star Trek Beyond," it is mildly entertaining and, of course, Star Trek fans will forgive a wandering plot.
edited by colbalt91 on 7/22/2016
edited by colbalt91 on 7/22/2016
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

7/27/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
I didn't mind the movie. The Jaylah character was a great addition. Not the strongest of the three but certainly better than some of the previous original cast movies.

YMMV
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

8/5/2016

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Agreed, first two movies were better but this movie was enjoyable to watch. Thought that some fight scenes were hard to follow or needed to be filmed better. Thought that Kirk, Spock and the doctor had good scenes or conversations together.
0 link