Issues selling too cheap online. Messages in this topic - RSS

Chrisedaigle
Chrisedaigle

7/19/2016

Chrisedaigle
Chrisedaigle
I've noticed as of late a lot of key issues are just being sold for flat out way under market value....for instance,I have a new 52 batman #1 graded at 9.6. Value shows about $600. Now I'm not unrealistic in thinking I'm getting that but myself and people posting these books for 2-300 are not out of line I.m.o.

But you have people taking $120 for a 9.6 on eBay ?????

C'mon man!!! I.m.o. You have people who bought it and need the money quick. But that's a very nice issue!!! Why would you sell it under those terms??? That book will go nowhere but up!! This is not a hobby where you're gonna get rich quickly...and shouldn't be approached that way,if you're buying a book as an investment... Be prepared to sit on it.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

7/24/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Um, are you going by the CPG price guide? If you are you should know that they do NOT stay on top of prices they way you think they do. Most of their graded prices use a very old algorithm that is so far from accurate that it really needs to be retooled. Currently the most recent realised prices on eBay have been around $150-200 for a third party graded 9.8. Third party graded 9.6's are bouncing all over the map from less than $100 to over $130.
+1 link
jtlarsen
jtlarsen

7/25/2016

jtlarsen
jtlarsen
There's no such thing as "too cheap." If things are selling for less than you want, that means their value is going down (or, potentially, the seller is screwing up). The reason people are selling books for less than you want them to is that no one is buying the books at the price you want. That doesn't mean the market's wrong, it means you are.
+2 link
captnwilli
captnwilli

7/26/2016

captnwilli
captnwilli
jtlarsen wrote:
There's no such thing as "too cheap." If things are selling for less than you want, that means their value is going down (or, potentially, the seller is screwing up). The reason people are selling books for less than you want them to is that no one is buying the books at the price you want. That doesn't mean the market's wrong, it means you are.

Well said! It may be tough for some of us to hear, but at the end of the day we have to admit that our expectations on how we value our books may need to be reavaluated.
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

7/27/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
The OPs expectations are based upon a faulty algorithm that CPG uses. that and not actually researching what the book is actually selling for.

It is a common thing in the guide. While it is utterly impossible for a guide to exactly reflect the current market that doesn't mean that they cannot strive to be closer in reflecting the current market values. For years CPG has used an algorithm for graded prices and more often than not it has led them to have prices that often are far out of whack with reality. It would be better if the algorithm estimated slightly lower than lead people to believe they may be sitting on a goldmine.
edited by Oxbladder on 7/27/2016
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

7/28/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
Chrisedaigle wrote:
I've noticed as of late a lot of key issues are just being sold for flat out way under market value....for instance,I have a new 52 batman #1 graded at 9.6. Value shows about $600. Now I'm not unrealistic in thinking I'm getting that but myself and people posting these books for 2-300 are not out of line I.m.o.

But you have people taking $120 for a 9.6 on eBay ?????

C'mon man!!! I.m.o. You have people who bought it and need the money quick. But that's a very nice issue!!! Why would you sell it under those terms??? That book will go nowhere but up!! This is not a hobby where you're gonna get rich quickly...and shouldn't be approached that way,if you're buying a book as an investment... Be prepared to sit on it.

Just my opinion to add to what Ox said.

Comics are not a good way to make money quick. Market fluctuations make some old book that had been in dollar boxes at dealers across the country (e.g Suicide Squad #1) now worth $50 and up. But you had to wait over 25 years for this to happen.

If you want to make money, a good stock trading program with some education on your part will get you a better return than comics will. Still not quick, but you can make money in months rather than years. Just one suggestion.

If you want to be a dealer, buy stuff very cheap - comics and what ever else you can find - and sell at local flea market or comics show. I sell at shows occasionally and it still takes some business savvy and a whole lot of work to make a few dollars. It is very had to make money this way - a lot of work and you still may loose. I believe that is why few folks do it.

IMHO

KDS
edited by kds_comics on 7/28/2016
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

7/29/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Really excellent points/advice. No matter what you choose to try and make your money in you are going to have to learn that market and still have to work at it very hard.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

7/29/2016

Robbie
Robbie
In the example above, people aren't buying the "comic", they are buying the plastic case. Right? That's where most the value is...

But that's new comics. There's always been collectors working on new series.
Problem is; they don't stay new for long. Lots of competition in that space. Once a comic is old, it stays that way.
0 link
colbalt91
colbalt91

7/30/2016

colbalt91
colbalt91
What about issues selling for too much as I have just looked at the Lyria Exchange and they have Moon girl and Devil Dinosaur number 1 at a 9.8 going for $93 currently. Take away the cost of the case which would be about $40 and you have people willing to pay $53 plus shipping for this comic book.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

7/31/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Robbie wrote:
In the example above, people aren't buying the "comic", they are buying the plastic case. Right? That's where most the value is...

But that's new comics. There's always been collectors working on new series.
Problem is; they don't stay new for long. Lots of competition in that space. Once a comic is old, it stays that way.

They are buying the comic. All sorts of people are willing to pay more for that third party opinion. I know I have and I am willing to pay more, in some cases, for that opinion because buying raw, especially online is a crap shoot. I have been pretty luck and have a good system but it took a number of misses to get there. With a graded book the crapshoot is gone. I know what I am getting.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

7/31/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
cobalt91 wrote:
What about issues selling for too much as I have just looked at the
Lyria Exchange and they have Moon girl and Devil Dinosaur number 1 at a
9.8 going for $93 currently. Take away the cost of the case which would
be about $40 and you have people willing to pay $53 plus shipping for
this comic book.

If people are willing to pay that much then that is what the value is. Or are you telling me you have never been willing to pay more to get a book?
edited by Oxbladder on 8/2/2016
0 link
mutualman2
mutualman2

9/28/2016

mutualman2
mutualman2
What about issues selling for too much as I have just looked at the Lyria Exchange and they have Moon girl and Devil Dinosaur number 1 at a 9.8 going for $93 currently. Take away the cost of the case which would be about $40 and you have people willing to pay $53 plus shipping for this comic book.

It's about how rare something is...I won't bother looking up Moon Girl but Devil Dinosaur is going on 40 years old and only 1 -- 9.9 exists in the CGC word (census...see attached if it works first time posting not sure if I attached it right). To own the second highest of something for $53 (plus $40 to certify it...and not wait 4 months - current wait time) is really not that bad of a price. I recently purchased a book from the mid 1960's (non key...just an average book) that is a 9.8 and is the highest and ONLY copy for that issue at a 9.8....I researched similar books from that era and and title and NO 9.9'S OR 10'S EXIST (for the key issues which like Fantastic Four #52 come out of the woodwork to certify and last I heard there are 5-9.8's...again no 9.9 or 10.0). In other words in 5 or 50 years, I will still own the highest known copy to exist...so what if 5 more 9.8's show up.... I will be tied for the highest and I won it for only $100
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

9/28/2016

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
mutualman2 wrote:

It's about how rare something is...I won't bother looking up Moon Girl but Devil Dinosaur is going on 40 years old and only 1 -- 9.9 exists in the CGC word (census...see attached if it works first time posting not sure if I attached it right). To own the second highest of something for $53 (plus $40 to certify it...and not wait 4 months - current wait time) is really not that bad of a price. I recently purchased a book from the mid 1960's (non key...just an average book) that is a 9.8 and is the highest and ONLY copy for that issue at a 9.8....I researched similar books from that era and and title and NO 9.9'S OR 10'S EXIST (for the key issues which like Fantastic Four #52 come out of the woodwork to certify and last I heard there are 5-9.8's...again no 9.9 or 10.0). In other words in 5 or 50 years, I will still own the highest known copy to exist...so what if 5 more 9.8's show up.... I will be tied for the highest and I won it for only $100

But most people probably aren't willing to even bother having such a book graded.(at least not yet smile ) I have six Devil Dinosaur #1's, been bagged and boarded since I bought them off the shelf, many of them look perfect but I would never pay to have them graded. So I might have six 9.9's, maybe even 10's, that I paid $2.10 for, but the world may never know. Quiet True "rarity" is based on how many actually exist..... With new books, there are lots of near perfect books out there, so in most cases, people are crazy to pay so much for a graded new book. They just don't think about enough. But Ox is right, a fair price is one that is agreed to by both parties. Sometimes you just gotta have it. Shock ......................By the way, Moon Girl is a Inhuman who's first appearance was in that book MG&DD #1
0 link
timmygo77
timmygo77

11/20/2016

timmygo77
timmygo77
The true value of a book is what someone is willing to pay for it. Just yesterday I attempted to buy, via 2 separate auctions, Spider-Man renew your vows #5 with stan lee presiding over the wedding. Both were graded 9.8 and signed by stan lee. The only difference was the rarity, one was a 1:100(color cover) and the other was 1:200 (b/w cover). If you go look there is actually 4, but 2 have peter unmasked and two don't. The 2 that don't are 1:150 and 1:250. But I digress, the color copy sold for 240, the b/w cover sold for 187. I wanted a matching set but only won the b/w. The values (as stated by many others) were drastically different from what was paid. 756 for color and 1785 for the b/w. It would be nice if they could tweak their algorithm. Either way I think I got a steal on the one I did get.
0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

11/21/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
timmygo77 wrote:
The true value of a book is what someone is willing to pay for it.

Bingo. Technically, our price guide could be wrong every single time if you're a great negotiator! And we're okay with that! smile
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

12/12/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
It is all about demand. Rarity and other factors can play a role but there are plenty of truly rare books out there (as in only one copy known to exist never mind MAYBE one 9.9 or 10.0 grade) that are not worth all that much relatively speaking. Why? Well it is because only a few people are interested in owning one. For example, New Adventure Comics #13 is the rarest DC book. Likely less than 10 copies, in total, exist. Yet you could likely own one for less than 20K. Or take a look at the price of Danger Trail #4, If the Devil Could Talk, the last 20 or so Comic Cavalcades, etc all hard to come by books yet the values are rather small. On the other hand I have a X-23 #1 Dell'Otto variant and I could probably get $1500 or more for it.
0 link