Where does CPG get the prices? Messages in this topic - RSS

SludgesicleMan
SludgesicleMan

2/1/2016

SludgesicleMan
SludgesicleMan
I was wondering where CPG gets their pricing? I've noticed some prices not being very accurate to their market value. For Example, Batman 635(1st Jason Todd as Red Hood) at 9.8 is listed at $14 raw and $56 dollars graded. That book will go for well over $200 in that condition. That's a pretty big price discrepancy.
0 link
Laroo42
Laroo42

2/1/2016

Laroo42
Laroo42
Hey,

Prices fluctuate with supply and demand obviously, and I'm sure the prices are speculative and based on how clear the crystal ball is.
But... I was going to make a similar comment regarding Batman #1 (New 52). Raw, the book in VF/NM has been selling at the prices listed by CPG (about $100), but slabbed I have yet to see a 9.8 go for $1000?!? I've seen between $200 - $400. That too is a big discrepancy.
Now, before I complain too loudly, I own one...
Dave
0 link
wchever
wchever

2/1/2016

wchever
wchever
Yeah, I'd love for a 9.8 Siege #1 - Captain America sketch variant to go for $1,540, when there's one for $280 sitting on EBay.

Of course right now on EBay there's a 9.8 Siege #3 - Deadpool variant on there for $4,999, so if someone buys that then the $200 price on here would go up a bit.

I think prices are verified though. Some very rich collector might have paid for an issue on one occasion and it gets counted as the value.
0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

2/8/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
All our pricing comes from trusted advisors including stores and volunteer researchers. We get pricing updates directly from a lot of retailers and trusted professional collectors and researchers. The key is that we never react to tiny spikes or individual sales, and only adjust prices when it is clear that trends are sticking around.

A book may be valued at $5, but someone who really likes it could spend $10 just to ensure they secure it. That doesn't make the value $10, it makes it $5 still because most are still paying $5. Only after we see historical evidence that the book is constantly going at $10 do we make that change.

Occasionally we do adjust pricing for major industry news/announcements, but those don't happen all that often.

That being said, if you have evidence that supports your hunch that the book is undervalued, we welcome you to give us what you have and we'll take a look and check with our own sources. In the near future, we will be allowing Gold & silver members to submit this data to us so we can react a little quicker in today's modern world, so stay tuned for that within the next few weeks smile
+1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

2/8/2016

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
I enjoy this guide and others. None can be always right but this guide is closer to real prices than others over all. Those that use a auction site will use their search option of closed auctions to get a feel of what's selling and for how much.
Some books are always undervalued in most guides while others are over valued. Seems like this will never change. Guides are kinda funny to me. Some think they are gospel while others think they will get you in a ballpark of what something is worth.
Using this site I have loaded only 44 books in my "collection", for a value of over $15,500. I would be lucky to get half of that if sold. I take guides as what they are, a guide. CPG I like the most of guides offered.
+1 link