Topic:
Ruk's list-Who has the best collection

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
Hey Ruk.
Here are my totals for April 2019:

Issues: 39,623
Value: $281,402.87

Did anybody else notice a bump in value this month? I bought primarily my weekly pulls and some back issues during March, but no major keys. Value rose nearly 10k.
5/4/2019
Topic:

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
New month; New data.

Current Count Of Graphic Novels: 39,864
Value Of Said Graphic Novels: $285,063.50

pthomas2010 May 2019
8/21/2019
Topic:
Most Owned

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
Ronbatman wrote:
To me there are several reasons to list your books online, specifically ComicsPriceGuide.

Sometimes we get an email or call from insurance companies saying their client had books damaged in a flood, fire or stolen. If they have a full record of their collection with the correct grade in our system it's easy to give a value. And more importantly, for you to get compensated for your loss. It happens more than you think.

Sometimes you want to sell a set of books or a title that is hot. If your books are in our system you can click the green $ and list them for sale with no additional fees. That makes it easy and inexpensive to sell your comics.

Sometimes books go up in value and you didn't realize it. If they are in our database you can sort by the most expensive overall, most expensive by publisher, most expensive graded book overall, most expensive graded book by publisher, etc.

You can organize in our system using the virtual boxes and you can tag them anything. So for people with big collections they might have some in storage or in the basement. With this they are easier to find.

I could keep going but I won't.
R
edited by ronbatman on 7/29/2019

I originally listed all my comics because I kept buying back issues I already had. I keep my want list up to date to this day, and I usually print out a fresh copy when I go to 2nd & Charles, comic shops new to me, or anywhere there are boxes of comics to dig through. Having the values is a nice bonus I like, and I used a printout of my collection to acquire insurance coverage on them.

When I first decided to use CPG, I owned about 12,000 comics, and it was time consuming. At the time, you had to change the grade after entering each book, which was a pain, but now it can be done at the same time. Since the first giant batch, I now enter books as I get them, and at 40,000 and growing, I'll stay here forever. This is the site I recommend whenever people ask about databases.
8/21/2019
Topic:
Most Owned

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
drewzer15 wrote:
[\quote] I originally listed all my comics because I kept buying back issues I already had. I keep my want list up to date to this day, and I usually print out a fresh copy when I go to 2nd & Charles, comic shops new to me, or anywhere there are boxes of comics to dig through. Having the values is a nice bonus I like, and I used a printout of my collection to acquire insurance coverage on them.

When I first decided to use CPG, I owned about 12,000 comics, and it was time consuming. At the time, you had to change the grade after entering each book, which was a pain, but now it can be done at the same time. Since the first giant batch, I now enter books as I get them, and at 40,000 and growing, I'll stay here forever. This is the site I recommend whenever people ask about databases.

I find it odd that there aren't a lot of people recommending this site. I always do, but apparently some app that has 3 letters for it's name (I know the name, not mentioning them) charges $14.99 (but doesn't show pricing) is really popular. I have used it for other things like novels, but it's kinda cumbersome. A lot of other sites don't have the search ability CPG has. I have used a lot of different sites over the years. This seems to be the most user friendly IMO. I mean right away I can narrow it down to title and issue. It's not CPG's fault there are 100 different versions of Batman #50. Some sites let you search title only first. One site makes you search by the story title. I can't possibly know that info without opening the bag and searching the book and finding the title page. I heard some static about the prices here being off. Well that's the nature of "Buy it now" internet sites, a book can jump overnight and you may not know or know why or where it falls after the hype. No site can be 100% on top of their pricing. That's where we come in as users to help update the info and if I need to know what Batman #77 is getting right now I can go on eBay and see they are selling for around $20 and it isn't even released until your LCS opens today.

The only place I know with easier data entry is mycomicshop.com, but its main function is for listing books to sell to them. I keep my collection over there, too, but mainly because I like looking through my list and seeing what they are paying. It will also come in handy if I ever decide to sell them. It's a nice database that's easy to use, but doesn't have all the extras CPG has. I keep both databases current, though. I doubt there are many others who use 2 databases full time.
8/21/2019
Topic:

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
I'm still here, Ruk.
It's been a couple of months since I've participated, though.
I know you've been waiting with excitement on my numbers, so here you go:

Comics 40,406
Value $290,425.96
8/24/2019
Topic:
Inherited 1000+ books, what first?

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
Contact mycomicshop.com They buy collections and have a few different methods that might work for you.
FYI, there are a few valuable comics from the 80's-90's, but it is generally an era without many keys.
There are a few to look for, though: Amazing Spider-Man 252, 298-301 (300 is the main one), 316, & 361. New Mutants 87 & 98. Incredible Hulk 271 & 340.
That's a few to look for, If you have a few of them, you'll make some money.
edited by pthomas2010 on 8/24/2019
8/29/2019
Topic:
Journey Into Mystery #83

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
This book is on the list of value changes, and it went up by around $9000 in 9.4. I own a copy that's I graded at 5.0. I also own a bunch of the other expensive books that went up in value on the current list, yet the value of my collection went down by $3,000. Anybody else experience this? I have some of the ones that lost value, too, but this is a gigantic swing backward when it shows the books going up.
12/31/2019
Topic:

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
Checking in with my year-end totals:

Comics 41,387
Value $301,662.48

I'm still irritated about some changes a few months ago that reduced the value of my collection by about $10,000. What stunned me most about it was that the comics of mine that went down were on the Value Changes list going up. My top keys aren't 9.4, and whoever made the changes also took the time to reduce the value of lower grades. I probably had 10 books on the list that day, and honestly expected a good bump. Imagine my surprise when I lost 10k instead.

I'll stick around next year unless somebody starts lowering values enough to affect my collection by that much again.
2/11/2020
Topic:
How do you define a first appearance?

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
I don't really, but if I own a preview that people start treating as a first appearance, I'll gladly accept the boost in value. Doesn't really matter what anybody thinks about this, since the majority has already decided which is the one to own.
2/11/2020
Topic:

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
Here's my stuff.
PTHOMAS2010
Value: $303,321.43 Issues: 41,551

First time I've tried copying and pasting totals. Much simpler, plus I didn't have to do extra thinking.
3/4/2020
Topic:

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
CAN'T BELIEVE NOBODY ELSE HAS REPORTED YET.
hERE YOU GO.

TOTAL COLLECTION VALUE : $305,127.36
ISSUE COLLECTION COUNT : 41,601
4/3/2020
Topic:

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
TOTAL COLLECTION VALUE : $306,993.50
ISSUE COLLECTION COUNT : 41,821

rUK,
hERE ARE MARCH TOTALS FOR ME.
SORRY, I AM NOT INTENTIONALLY YELLING AT YOU. MY CAPS ARE STUCK ON FOR SOME REASON.
5/1/2020
Topic:
Poll Question: Spending More Time or Less Time

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
About the same for me. I'm retired, and if I'm inside and awake, more than likely I'll be doing something to my collection anyway. One of the things I do if I'm stir crazy is make a drive to a semi local comic shop that has great Silver Age books (along with a few Golden Age) and spend $500 just like that. So this social distancing has probably saved me some money. If I hadn't decided to stroll down memory lane by buying a stack of old Avengers comics back in 2010, I honestly don't know how I would've coped. Probably by drinking all day every day.
5/6/2020
Topic:

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
PTHOMAS2010
Value: $308,048.77 Issues: 41,935

May 2020
5/28/2020
Topic:
When do you stop and smell the roses?

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
That was my post above. Somehow I got signed out.
6/19/2020
Topic:

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
BasementComics wrote:
ruk wrote:
Dear Basement (*EEIG)
think of it as a contribution to the world economic order
the World convention on international trade depends on us all doing our part to generate commerce.
Go buy a comic book -the more expensive the better--------------
go get your comics graded-
buy plastic book holders-
pencils-
pens-
the world awaits your response-
Bankers around the world will applaud you.
You will have done your job for stabilizing the international world economy

Hey Ruk, I'm doing my part. I would love to get more graded but I am not comfortable sending books through the mail. I would prefer to deal with CGC/CBCS at a convention but those aren't happening right now. I did talk to a comic book shop and the guy told me I could send stuff through him. When I asked if the books were returned insured based on the submitted value or the new value as we all know graded books are worth more, he told me there was no difference. I turned and looked at the rack with his graded books and wondered to myself "If books that are graded are worth the same as ungraded, why are these $10 books being sold for $90"? I won't use them for sure. I just have to find a LCS I trust.

The recent trend of grading brand new comics in the hope of getting a 9.8 grade is one reason there is the misconception that slabbed books are worth more. The same people act like a book that "only" graded 9.2 - 9.6 is practically worthless. The truth is that there is little, if any, difference in books graded that high. I can see where on a high grade, semi rare key comic, a person would be willing to pay extra for the expert analysis of a book to assure there was no restoration. Yet CGC has somehow convinced people that by getting their opinion and sealing in a plastic holder justifies selling for sometimes double the price of a raw copy that's just as nice. You will notice that the comic dealers with a reputation for tough, consistent grading usually sell raw and slabbed books of the same grade at close to the same price. Don't fall for the bullshit. Grading is too imprecise and inconsistent as long as there are humans involved in the evaluation process. Around 2000, some smart people saw an opportunity to make the comic collecting hobby appear more "official" by grading and recording the results for posterity, did a good job marketing the idea, and have convinced people they are a critical service. They had the perfect base market to, because who is more anal about their things than comic people? Some people are getting richer and richer every day because of it, even though there is no organization that can teach, test, and certify a person as a professional grader who meets all standards for all collectors and sellers worldwide.
7/7/2020
Topic:

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
PThomas2010 totals for July:

TOTAL COLLECTION VALUE : $312,674.85
ISSUE COLLECTION COUNT : 42,261
7/28/2020
Topic:

pthomas2010