When do you stop and smell the roses? Messages in this topic - RSS

GuardianIV
GuardianIV

5/21/2020

GuardianIV
GuardianIV
I was reading the Blog post https://blog.comicspriceguide.com/how-to-tell-what-comics-are-hot/ for the second time, with nearly the same reactions I had the first time. Which is this, man I should have bought that a year ago or 10 years ago. This book or that book has been on my 'bucket' list for years, I just did not get around to it. I have 16,338 comics, not including duplicates. When is enough, enough? Recently, I have been wandering into my comic book room (yes I have a room...you do not put 16k comics under your bed), and I was thinking I should spend more time in here! Instead of cringing at the book I did not buy 5 years ago for a song. I should enjoy the waif of old comics in my room and pour through the countless volumes that I have procured over the years. Spend some time with what I have instead of pining for what I have not.

I have been doing just that every day for a an hour or more a day, and you know its fun. I've been pulling comics and grading them. Pulling out the duplicates, and trying to make some room in the overstuffed boxes! But I still find myself wanting what I haven't got. Human nature I suppose. Still, maybe I will spend a little more time 'smelling the roses'.
+1 link
ruk
ruk

5/22/2020

ruk
ruk
well thought out idea especially in these wacky times.
It is like the joke of the guy who searches all his life for the perfect apple pie-and ends up on a monastery on top of a mountain.
they tell him they make the worlds best apple pie but are out today -but they have Blueberry pie.
Is that OK
He says Sure
so we can decide to slow down our quest for a total complete collection and as you say smell the roses.
Well thought out.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/22/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Love this post. Enjoy the moment you're in with the collection you have.
+1 link
ruk
ruk

5/22/2020

ruk
ruk
dear Ronbatman
as I approach my 78th birthday
the post above in this moment in time rings so true.
0 link
shavagonew
shavagonew

5/22/2020

shavagonew
shavagonew
I personally have an impossible comic collecting goal but that is by design. Plenty of enjoyment to have with my current collection while still getting excitement out of the hunt and picking up books to check off my want list. Its why I love this hobby so much.
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/23/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
I've been pretty good at buying things I want when they are affordable, so I don't sit around thinking I "should-have" or "could-have". If I didn't buy something, there was a good reason.

At certain points in your collecting, there will be a really key book that is "barely affordable" with your budget. If you want to own it and not regret passing on it years later, you have to commit to buying it. The odds are that once you spend the money, some unexpected emergency or bill will pop up afterwards and leave you wondering if you made the right choice. After some more years go by, that financial pinch you got through will be over but you'll still have that comic that has increased in value. Are there things I would have done differently? Sure. I would've begged my parents to buy me Fantastic Four# 1 for $40 because that's what it was priced in a catalog I still own from my childhood.

I always imagined that when I retire, I'll sit back and reread my whole comic collection. As I've gotten older, I'm pretty sure that will never happen. I own so many comics that I'm sure many will never be opened again by me.
+1 link
colbalt91
colbalt91

5/27/2020

colbalt91
colbalt91
Same here as far as reading my old collections. However, I do pick up a hardcover book collecting the old comics and I'm satisfied to read that rather than dig out my comics from my collection.
edited by colbalt91 on 5/27/2020
0 link

5/28/2020

I'm at a point where I hardly ever feel like reading comics anymore, but I sure love buying them and filling holes in my collection. When I was thinking about getting into comics again about 10 years ago, I was determined to do it right this time. The other times in my life when I collected comics, I never had the budget to ever buy a complete run of the main Marvel titles like ASM or Avengers. I was able to get 100-up and a few under 100 here and there as a kid, but getting my first car changed my priorities. Chasing girls also became a main interest. I sold what comics I had when I needed a set of tires, and thought I was done with them. But I bought some back issues in 2010, and that got me right back into it. I'm fortunate to have been able to retire at 43, and have the money and time to spend on my collection. I've amassed over 42,000 of them since I started back and have complete runs of most Marvel characters I'm interested in, and a bunch of titles where I only need a few. I started on DC about 5 years ago and I've made serious dents in Action, Superman, Batman, and Detective. MY problem now is that the Marvel books I need are the cream of the crop, and you don't ever find them cheap. Now I'm also getting to where the DC books I need are mostly Golden Age, plus there are certain DC books I don't think I'll ever be able to afford in any condition. So I'm at a point where I need to set some parameters and finish off these titles, yet my want list is still growing. So, to answer OP, I don't think comic collectors can ever be satisfied with what we have already. We can enjoy organizing them and looking through them, and be proud of our accomplishments, but there is always some comic we will covet. But that's okay.
+2 link
pthomas2010
pthomas2010

5/28/2020

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
That was my post above. Somehow I got signed out.
+1 link
ruk
ruk

5/28/2020

ruk
ruk
PThomas-very thoughtful post.
At one point my collection went from huge to zero -and like you I was able to restore it.
Took many years but getting close .............
0 link

5/28/2020

In 1981, I finished a complete run of X-Men. I mainly collected backwards. I went for the cheaper key books first, but #1 ended up being the last purchase I made to complete the run. I quit collecting in about 1983. When I got back into collecting around 1991, I remembered buying all the cheaper X-Men back issues while the #1 kept going up in price. I decided that I was going to try and do it the other way around. I wanted the expensive keys first and I could fill in the cheaper stuff later. At one point, I wanted to own Amazing Spider-Man #1 through #100. A funny thing happened. I acquired an Amazing Fantasy #15 and owning the first hundred issues of Amazing Spider-man just didn't seem that special anymore. I own too many comics. The space they take up is a nuisance. If i could go back in time, I'd only collect the expensive keys. I would have bought fewer magazines about comics and fewer price guides. I'd have spent that money on the actual comics I'd dreamed of owning one day.
0 link