all messages by user

6/4/2017
Topic:
Ruk's list-Who has the best collection

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
  • Issues: 31,148
  • Value: $183,922.75
  • My new numbers- Value jumped a few thousand primarily because some of my ASM & Avengers books had good increases. Seems like it wasn't that long ago that I passed $100,000.
  • 7/10/2017
    Topic:

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
  • Issues: 31,296
  • Value: $186,803.04

• Pat Thomas July totals

I'm good about entering back issues when I get them, but let myself get behind on the new ones a while back.
    I know there are some titles a years behind at least, and even though I take a list with me every week, I've discovered
    that it is a pain entering them later because of all the variants every week. Considering I get 20-40 new comics
    every week, that's a lot of unrecorded cash.
    8/7/2017
    Topic:

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
  • Issues: 31,492
  • Value: $195,503.71

• Bought a Hulk 180 & 181 and finally got my ASM 1 back after professional restoration, Stan Lee signature, and CGC.
    I normally prefer raw books, but I figured after the initial cost of the book, plus cost of restoration and being able to get
    an authentic autograph, kind of made it the right move. I would estimate the book would've graded 1.0 - 1.8 when I sent
    it to be restored, and it came back 5.5, so I'm pretty happy about it. Now I've got to find the right AF 15 for me.
    8/8/2017
    Topic:

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    ruk wrote:
    PThomas(EEIG) remains at Position #11
    ever so close to TOP 10
    now if I cd only figure what all those initials meant I cd understand what he is talking about
    Dear me..

ASM = Amazing Spider-Man
    AF = Amazing Fantasy

You knew that, though.

Ruk's List

As of………….
    07-08-17

Comics

Ranking #
    Value

Certification

in collection

Owner's Name

$1,210,292.00

EEIG

Dazedgtojudge

$817,215.00

…….

Igman36

$582,746.00

EEIG

Shadow

$581,744.00

EEIG

Ruk

$500,000.00

EEIG

Mark/Redhood

$440,455.00

EEIG

Jesjet 1969

$423,461.00

EEIG

Robert Alvarez

$396,740.00

EEIG

Marvin 306

$241,216.00

EEIG

WillAllen

$198,471.00

EEIG

Madmadigan

$195,503.00

EEIG

PTHomas2010

8/15/2017
    Topic:
    So What Pulled You Back Into Collecting?

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    Well, I'll tell my story in case anybody decides to check out the thread. It sure would be nice to have an active board along the lines of the old CBR boards, but it's a different world over there now (I was banned because I didn't fall in line with their pc agenda, and they
    don't like opposing viewpoints), and the other forums I've found are pretty dead. Anyway, this is actually my third venture into comics.
    The first comic I got was either Avengers 130 or ASM 139, I'm not sure which. I just remember that I was hooked pretty quick after that, and would buy Marvel comics whenever we made a trip to the drugstore or grocery store. I used to sit a the magazine rack reading comics while Mom shopped for groceries, and back then, nobody cared. I remember reading Hulk 180 in the grocery store,
    and I also remember the day I bought Giant Size X-Men 1, all because I saw it had Wolverine in it. When I got a little older, I began to focus on Amazing Spider-Man & Avengers only. A friend and I set the goal to get both series 100-up, in Mint condition (there was no NM back then), and I got a lot of them. But I started having other interests and eventually quit buying the new issues, and after
    working the entire summer of my 15th birthday, I was able to get my first car, and fixing it up was my main priority then. I sold what was left of my collection after I burned off my first set of tires and had no way to replace them. Then, in my senior year of high school, I was at a friend's and noticed a stack of X-Men. This was in 1984, and he had issues going back to the 120's, and he let me take them home and read them. That reignited my passion, and I started collecting again. No real goals this time, but I was able to acquire some really nice books, and even got a summer job at a comic shop. Once again, I sold my collection (except for my cream of the crop books) so I would have some money in the bank at Auburn. The first weekend after I moved there, I got a DUI.
    Since I wasn't working and could barely survive on my meager finances, I had to sell the remaining comics to pay for fines, lawyer fees, etc. That was in 1986. I didn't buy another comic until 2010. I assume it's because I watched all the superhero movies, and they always brought back memories, but it just took that long for me to finally get the itch. I wasn't even sure I would still enjoy reading comics anymore, but I ordered some back issues and also bought a few new ones from the lcs in town, and I had a good time. Slowly, I began ordering back issues and eventually became a Weds regular at my lcs. After awhile it became an obsession. I easily completed my childhood goals (not in Mint condition though) and actually went much further. I've completed or very nearly
    completed a large chunk of the Marvel titles since 1962, and even have a ton of DC. I'm in a position where I only have utitilies, insurance, and living expenses every month, and the rest I can spend how I want, which has been comics for the last 7 years. The only thing about buying at that rate is that I fell behind reading a long time ago, and that's become a source of stress for me. When I'm able to overcome the mental block I've created, I'll have a lot to choose from. Until then, I'll just keep adding.
    9/6/2017
    Topic:

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
  • Issues: 31,819
  • Value: $200,914.91

• My new totals.
    Will hopefully be adding Amazing Fantasy 15 in the next month or 2, so that will be a nice bump.
    10/1/2017
    Topic:

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
  • Issues: 32,011
  • Value: $203,108.74

• My October totals. Slowed down a little last month.
    11/3/2017
    Topic:

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
  • Issues: 32,475
  • Value: $207,348.51

• For November. Are others still updating every month, or is it just me?
    11/6/2017
    Topic:
    My holy quest for Action Comic collection :)

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    imatonkatoo wrote:
    Selling quite a bit on Ebay and I came across a few Action Comics I have. (only about 6 or so). Was about to put them on and I had a thought of I don't want to sell these I quite like them. Problem is now I'm starting to buy the rest. I know I'm never going to be able to get them all but it churns me up inside knowing this. Though never say never. One day I hope I can post that I managed to accumulate the whole collection. I have 20 in my collection now and 12 more on the way. 412 and 413 then the rest all in their 800's.
    Shouldn't have started this but hey ho. smile
    edited by imatonkatoo on 11/1/2017

I'm doing the same, but collecting from issue 100-up is a more realistic goal. I have over 600 issues, and I haven't even gotten
    to the expensive books yet, so it's good from that standpoint. But there will come a time that I won't be able to buy a stack of
    them at a time. It's a cool goal, even if it's basically impossible for most people.
    11/6/2017
    Topic:
    Batman #3 - Cover found in walls

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    Somebody will buy that on Ebay.
    11/6/2017
    Topic:
    TOP RAW ISSUES?

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    Go to the "Browse by Publisher" link from the "Price Guide" link at the top of the page. After you pick the publisher, you'll see
    various links, like New Issues, etc. One of the links is for your top books. I think it goes about 20 deep.
    12/4/2017
    Topic:

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    • Issues: 33,766
    • Value: $217,300.38
    My December totals.

I'll prepare a speech if I break the top five by next December.
    12/13/2017
    Topic:
    Wacky values on guide

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    jokerbangedquinn wrote:
    I have a big jump in my comics values today. My 50 comics I track as a free bronze member a few days ago was listed as a value of around $18,000, which is unrealistic high to start. Today my 50 books value is $30,653. My cgc 7.0 Detective Comics 359 is at fault, valued as $12,463! Wish it was true.

That book is going crazy right now. You could still sell it for a nice chunk now (not $12,000). Eventually it's going to level off and
    settle in somewhere probably lower than current market prices. But I completely understand if you don't want to sell it. I don't want
    to sell any of mine either.
    1/4/2018
    Topic:
    Restoration

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    I used Hero Restoration for my ASM 1 & Avengers 1 and was happy with the results. He's in Oregon. You can Google
    Hero Restoration to get all his info.
    1/8/2018
    Topic:

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    Total Collection Value : $222,747.17

Issue Collection Count : 34,873

I could've sworn I already did this, but I can't locate the post.
    I guess I dreamed it.
    1/28/2018
    Topic:
    Want List

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    I used to be able to print my entire want list anytime, and now I get an error message. Tried using checklist option, too, and nothing appeared on my screen. How can
    I do that now?
    2/1/2018
    Topic:
    Print Want list

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    I am. I've inquired, but no answer. I believe next month is my renewal, and I think I'm going to let it lapse. There is absolutely no support here.
    2/2/2018
    Topic:
    Want List

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    It worked. Thank you.
    2/13/2018
    Topic:
    2018 comic goals for members

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    Can't believe there's activity here. Better take advantage of it!

My Goals for 2018:
    1. I've got to trim down my new titles and start reading them during the week I buy them. I'm so far behind on so many titles, and also have so many thousands of back issues to read,
    that I don't even know where to start. My hobby, that is supposed to be something relaxing, has turned into a source of stress.
    2. Although this runs counter to my first goal, I want to continue filling my runs of Batman, Detective, Action, and Superman. Most of the ones I need are Silver and Golden Age.
    3. Finish Daredevil run except for #1. Need about 4 others.
    4. Finish Thor run except for JIM #83. Need about 15 others.
    5. Finish FF run except #1. Need about 6 others.
    6. Buy Amazing Fantasy 15 before it gets too far out of reach. Been planning for last couple of years, but this year I just need to do it.

I think that's enough. If I can complete #1 and #6, it would be a great year for me.

For some reason I posted this as a guest and didn't notice until later. Bugs, I guess. Anyway, those are pthomas2010's goals.
    3/1/2018
    Topic:
    Lower Graded Comic Books

pthomas2010
    pthomas2010
    I agree with everything ox said. Even common issues 7.0 and up from the Silver Age aren't cheap. The keys in those grades are becoming outrageous for even a collector with
    plenty of money for the hobby. I generally look for the best eye appeal copy I can find at a decent price, and every so often I'll splurge and buy a high grade key. There are just
    so many supposed keys now. The thing is, eventually the only books regular collectors will be able to afford are the lower grade copies. Most everything 4.5 and up looks pretty
    solid anyway, and depending on the defect, can look fantastic.
    1234 ..6