Lower Graded Comic Books Messages in this topic - RSS

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o

2/7/2018

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
It seems I am running across more and more collectors actively looking for lower-grade comics. There seems to be a market for them, mostly in copper age and before, including those that have been graded by CGC, etc. Yet on CPG.com, I rarely see any difference in raw vs. graded value in grades below, like ,7.5. Do you think demand will cause CPG to review their valuation model concerning these books?
+1 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

2/15/2018

kds_comics
kds_comics
That is a very good question I must ponder
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

2/15/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I did a project here at CPG involving early Amazing Spider-man issues. I compiled hundreds of values from Heritage, Ebay, Comic Link and other places. For books 4.5 and below there was no difference between graded and raw.

My opinion based on my research - CGC is great for high value and mid to high-grade books. Recommended even. However, if you slab something below 4.5 it's for your benefit only, there is no financial reward.

My stats are for Amazing Spiderman and Uncanny X-men. There is room for discussion though, because my sampling was just two titles. (hundreds maybe thousands of books)
edited by ronbatman on 2/15/2018
0 link

2/20/2018

They are not likely to review their valuation model. They have continued to use the same algorithm for graded book and show no signs of changing that though it is ridiculously out of date.

There is a market for lower grade books and always has been since before the 70's that is what the vast majority of books are. Before the 70's as well you run into the fact that a large portion of books did not survive for many reasons and you can have heavy demand even on those lower grade books.

IMHO there is no increase in collectors going after these books I just think more people are admitting that they see no problem with collecting these books, which there isn't. Yes everyone would like to collect the best grade possible but finances dictate that a great many collectors are going to have to look for the lower grade books because that is what they can afford. Especially when high grade prices become further out of reach like most almost all of the books from the 30's through to about 1965. Most books after 1965 are still within most people's grasp in higher grades.

You also have to pretty much define what low grade is to you. To me High grade is 7 and up. Mid grade is 5.0 to 6.5 and low is 4.5 and down. Of course this can be a bit relative too since there are many, many copies of 8.5 and up books for most of the 70's books to present. In such cases how one views the grading ranges is going to differ quite a bit and as such low grade is going to have a wider range and a long slog to appreciating in value the way lower grade books before 1970.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

2/20/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
BTW that was my post above. I got booted out while typing.
0 link
pthomas2010
pthomas2010

3/1/2018

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
I agree with everything ox said. Even common issues 7.0 and up from the Silver Age aren't cheap. The keys in those grades are becoming outrageous for even a collector with
plenty of money for the hobby. I generally look for the best eye appeal copy I can find at a decent price, and every so often I'll splurge and buy a high grade key. There are just
so many supposed keys now. The thing is, eventually the only books regular collectors will be able to afford are the lower grade copies. Most everything 4.5 and up looks pretty
solid anyway, and depending on the defect, can look fantastic.
0 link
expander
expander

3/1/2018

expander
expander
Most of my buying is done in bulk transactions with about 10-15% or so in new issues from my lcs.

A lot of the bulk stuff is 8.0 or lower in general which I don't mind as the main reason I'm buying is to read them anyway.

Occasionally I'll find a nicer book and hold off reading that story or series until I find one that I don't mind handling.

Price-wise I prefer 6.5-7.5 grades to fill the gaps more easily.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

3/1/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
From a personal level, I love books that are in the 6.5 to 8.0 range. They are a good value because they look great and they don't cost you a first born child. (My daughter, Olivia, should thank me.)
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/1/2018

kds_comics
kds_comics
kds_comics wrote:
That is a very good question I must ponder

I think it depends on the age and desirability of the comic. While 4.0 or below may be no difference - I believe there is a lot of variation in the
in 4.0 to 7.0 realm.

I just sold an Agents of Atlas variant that unfortunate had been graded at 7.0. It was still worth $15 - which is significantly more than raw grade of $9.
While this is not a big dollar amount - it is 50% higher. In percentage that is big.

Yes, i believe the algorithm needs to be seriously review.
Just my opinion.

More studies! Who is with me?
KDS
0 link