So What Pulled You Back Into Collecting? Messages in this topic - RSS

Finley2020
Finley2020

7/21/2017

Finley2020
Finley2020
I had posted this in the old forums so I thought I'd throw it out there again. Many of us (myself included) got out of collecting for one reason or another at some point in our collecting lives. I collected a few books when I was a kid but I really got into comics in high school. I read a lot of Image and Vertigo along with several Spider-Man titles. At one point though in the late 90's the variant cover craze got to be too much. Collecting them all was no longer financially feasible and when I did manage to get all 11 covers of The Darkness #11 it felt more like a sigh of relief than anything to be happy about. Then they rebooted ASM. That was about it. I didn't buy another book almost 10 years after that. Then suddenly my wife and I are watching Comic Book Men on AMC one night and they're talking about ASM #101 and I suddenly remembered what a cool character Morbius was. Not sure why but in my head I had to get that book. And like that it all came rushing back to me. I didn't need variant covers to enjoy this wonderful medium. I could like, you know, read them and stuff! My mania in now way approaches what it once was since I have another adult looking over the finances but she still let's me indulge. And yes, I did finally snatch a nice copy of ASM#101.

So let me ask: What made you quit comics altogether? What triggered you to get back into collecting?

I remember this was a really interesting thread in the old forums. I'm curious to see what some of the new folks have to say.
+3 link
expander
expander

7/22/2017

expander
expander
As a child my grandmother would buy me jcpenny lots for Christmas and my birthday.
I read every book over and over and I used to draw a lot (I wanted to be an artist) so she would get me comics and I would recreate the panels as best I could at the time.

I spent HOURS upon endless hours in my room drawing and asking for more. I would end up with random marvel dc stuff so my dad would take me out to flea markets and auctions to buy more comics.

I wound up with about 200 or so books and they thought well you have enough but, I had random issues like FF 401,UXM 396,Namor #2,9,24 and so on and I had so many sparsely numbered issues that I didn't have any complete stories so I tried to find a local comics shop to spend my allowance at but there where none where I grew up so it kinda fell to the back burner.

I enjoyed movies based on comics throughout the years. However after I got married and had children my interest in comics had faded considerably.

Once my ten year old saw spider-man he had a ton of questions so I was like lets go find you some comics so you can read them for yourself, that brought it crushing back into my life.

Now everyone I know comes to me with their comic questions and I have over 15,000 books many doubles and a few hundred small collections for the kids and my wife even reads a few titles too. We all watch comic based movies and shows and get each other comic related gifts like t-shirts, movies, coffee cups and of course lots of comics!

Oh and btw way we now have two LCS options where we live so weekends are my favorite time to take the kids out and see all the old/new comics and we spend most sundays talking about what we bought/read on saturday and plan next weeks adventure accordingly.
+4 link
expander
expander

7/22/2017

expander
expander
very cool thread Finley hope this one takes off it was fun to reminisce about my youth!
+2 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

7/23/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
I couldn't afford to date and buy comics, plus I was unhappy with the stuff being released in about 1983 so I quit collecting. Assistant Editors month annoyed me every year.

I got back into collecting when I was unemployed. I pulled my old stuff out of storage and that gave me the bug to acquire back issues. I started trading duplicates at first. Valiant got me hooked up until 1992. I've been collecting ever since.

I buy very little new stuff now, but I still look for certain back issues.
+1 link
Finley2020
Finley2020

7/24/2017

Finley2020
Finley2020
expander wrote:
very cool thread Finley hope this one takes off it was fun to reminisce about my youth!

Same. It seems that our love for comics never really dies off, it just goes dormant from time to time. Always interesting to hear from others what that little trigger was to bring it back full force.
0 link
technohippie
technohippie

8/8/2017

technohippie
technohippie
I started Collecting Comics when I was in Junior High. I was pretty poor so I talked the shop owner into giving me a job so I could work for store credit to buy comics and comic cards. When I went to college I had to move and couldn't afford comics so ending up selling my collection to help me get to college. I stopped collecting for about 14 years and started again about 4 years ago.

What's funny is I started collecting and working with comics again because my 4 year old nephew started getting into all the super hero movies and video games. He loved it and he would love to talk to me about it and I was like oh yeah I know about all this stuff. All this stuff was based and comics and it blew his mind. We then started to get back into it together and I couldn't be happier. I missed it and it he helped me remember how much I enjoyed it.
+1 link
Finley2020
Finley2020

8/8/2017

Finley2020
Finley2020
technohippie wrote:
I started Collecting Comics when I was in Junior High. I was pretty poor so I talked the shop owner into giving me a job so I could work for store credit to buy comics and comic cards. When I went to college I had to move and couldn't afford comics so ending up selling my collection to help me get to college. I stopped collecting for about 14 years and started again about 4 years ago.

What's funny is I started collecting and working with comics again because my 4 year old nephew started getting into all the super hero movies and video games. He loved it and he would love to talk to me about it and I was like oh yeah I know about all this stuff. All this stuff was based and comics and it blew his mind. We then started to get back into it together and I couldn't be happier. I missed it and it he helped me remember how much I enjoyed it.

It's awesome to be able to share with family. My brother used to collect as well but I don't think he's touched a comic book in years. My wife has an appreciation for the medium but nothing that would drive her to collect anything unless it was a TPB. My 3 year old son however is already grabbing at my old copies. Can't wait.
0 link
pthomas2010
pthomas2010

8/15/2017

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
Well, I'll tell my story in case anybody decides to check out the thread. It sure would be nice to have an active board along the lines of the old CBR boards, but it's a different world over there now (I was banned because I didn't fall in line with their pc agenda, and they
don't like opposing viewpoints), and the other forums I've found are pretty dead. Anyway, this is actually my third venture into comics.
The first comic I got was either Avengers 130 or ASM 139, I'm not sure which. I just remember that I was hooked pretty quick after that, and would buy Marvel comics whenever we made a trip to the drugstore or grocery store. I used to sit a the magazine rack reading comics while Mom shopped for groceries, and back then, nobody cared. I remember reading Hulk 180 in the grocery store,
and I also remember the day I bought Giant Size X-Men 1, all because I saw it had Wolverine in it. When I got a little older, I began to focus on Amazing Spider-Man & Avengers only. A friend and I set the goal to get both series 100-up, in Mint condition (there was no NM back then), and I got a lot of them. But I started having other interests and eventually quit buying the new issues, and after
working the entire summer of my 15th birthday, I was able to get my first car, and fixing it up was my main priority then. I sold what was left of my collection after I burned off my first set of tires and had no way to replace them. Then, in my senior year of high school, I was at a friend's and noticed a stack of X-Men. This was in 1984, and he had issues going back to the 120's, and he let me take them home and read them. That reignited my passion, and I started collecting again. No real goals this time, but I was able to acquire some really nice books, and even got a summer job at a comic shop. Once again, I sold my collection (except for my cream of the crop books) so I would have some money in the bank at Auburn. The first weekend after I moved there, I got a DUI.
Since I wasn't working and could barely survive on my meager finances, I had to sell the remaining comics to pay for fines, lawyer fees, etc. That was in 1986. I didn't buy another comic until 2010. I assume it's because I watched all the superhero movies, and they always brought back memories, but it just took that long for me to finally get the itch. I wasn't even sure I would still enjoy reading comics anymore, but I ordered some back issues and also bought a few new ones from the lcs in town, and I had a good time. Slowly, I began ordering back issues and eventually became a Weds regular at my lcs. After awhile it became an obsession. I easily completed my childhood goals (not in Mint condition though) and actually went much further. I've completed or very nearly
completed a large chunk of the Marvel titles since 1962, and even have a ton of DC. I'm in a position where I only have utitilies, insurance, and living expenses every month, and the rest I can spend how I want, which has been comics for the last 7 years. The only thing about buying at that rate is that I fell behind reading a long time ago, and that's become a source of stress for me. When I'm able to overcome the mental block I've created, I'll have a lot to choose from. Until then, I'll just keep adding.
+1 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

8/15/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
pthomas2010 wrote:
Well, I'll tell my story in case anybody decides to check out the thread. It sure would be nice to have an active board along the lines of the old CBR boards, but it's a different world over there now (I was banned because I didn't fall in line with their pc agenda, and they
don't like opposing viewpoints), and the other forums I've found are pretty dead. Anyway, this is actually my third venture into comics.
The first comic I got was either Avengers 130 or ASM 139, I'm not sure which. I just remember that I was hooked pretty quick after that, and would buy Marvel comics whenever we made a trip to the drugstore or grocery store. I used to sit a the magazine rack reading comics while Mom shopped for groceries, and back then, nobody cared. I remember reading Hulk 180 in the grocery store,
and I also remember the day I bought Giant Size X-Men 1, all because I saw it had Wolverine in it. When I got a little older, I began to focus on Amazing Spider-Man & Avengers only. A friend and I set the goal to get both series 100-up, in Mint condition (there was no NM back then), and I got a lot of them. But I started having other interests and eventually quit buying the new issues, and after
working the entire summer of my 15th birthday, I was able to get my first car, and fixing it up was my main priority then. I sold what was left of my collection after I burned off my first set of tires and had no way to replace them. Then, in my senior year of high school, I was at a friend's and noticed a stack of X-Men. This was in 1984, and he had issues going back to the 120's, and he let me take them home and read them. That reignited my passion, and I started collecting again. No real goals this time, but I was able to acquire some really nice books, and even got a summer job at a comic shop. Once again, I sold my collection (except for my cream of the crop books) so I would have some money in the bank at Auburn. The first weekend after I moved there, I got a DUI.
Since I wasn't working and could barely survive on my meager finances, I had to sell the remaining comics to pay for fines, lawyer fees, etc. That was in 1986. I didn't buy another comic until 2010. I assume it's because I watched all the superhero movies, and they always brought back memories, but it just took that long for me to finally get the itch. I wasn't even sure I would still enjoy reading comics anymore, but I ordered some back issues and also bought a few new ones from the lcs in town, and I had a good time. Slowly, I began ordering back issues and eventually became a Weds regular at my lcs. After awhile it became an obsession. I easily completed my childhood goals (not in Mint condition though) and actually went much further. I've completed or very nearly
completed a large chunk of the Marvel titles since 1962, and even have a ton of DC. I'm in a position where I only have utitilies, insurance, and living expenses every month, and the rest I can spend how I want, which has been comics for the last 7 years. The only thing about buying at that rate is that I fell behind reading a long time ago, and that's become a source of stress for me. When I'm able to overcome the mental block I've created, I'll have a lot to choose from. Until then, I'll just keep adding.

Some of us are still here. Thanks for sharing.
0 link
dav1
dav1

8/16/2017

dav1
dav1
never got out but started buying more expensive ones when my son was born.
+1 link
Finley2020
Finley2020

8/16/2017

Finley2020
Finley2020
pthomas2010 wrote:

Great story. And yes, what KDS said, we're still here. This place isn't quite what it used to be but maybe we can bring it back.
0 link
Finley2020
Finley2020

8/16/2017

Finley2020
Finley2020
dav1 wrote:
never got out but started buying more expensive ones when my son was born.

Haha, that almost sounds like me. Even though at the time I had no business buying anything above cover price I was convinced I wanted to share an interest with my son down the road. When he was born my wife and I were going through what I like to call the "dog food days". I made next to nothing at that time but we're a lot better off now.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

8/18/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
I never quit collecting so nothing got me started again. I did slow down collecting between 1988 and 1992 but I never stopped.

As for the pace around here. It was completely the doing of the folks who run the site. Even before the crash there was little attention and care paid to not only the forum, but the site. Then the crash pretty much polished off what was left. You simply cannot have a forum down for MONTHS with no indication of when it will come back. Forums are also dying out to some extent as people seem to much prefer other social media for communication.
+1 link
RupertVonMetz
RupertVonMetz

8/21/2017

RupertVonMetz
RupertVonMetz
I just started collecting, besides buying some random comic books in my early teens. I was always fascinated by graphic novels and the art work that was in them. Then with the explosion of well written/well acted super hero movies I started developing interest in a few different super heros. Naturally this lead me trying find things that I could collect to make the movies tangible, and that brought me back to comic books. Again I realized how dynamic the art work and design each book are. since my income is slightly higher then when I was in my teens it has become easier to acquire the books that I want. Also going to a comic book show I realized that Star Wars was made into comic books (probably could have figured that one out if I thought about it) that was the nail in the coffin and now I an hooked.
+1 link
BabaLament
BabaLament

11/15/2017

BabaLament
BabaLament
When moving into my new house I came across a box labeled "high school." Its been a few years, and aside from a diploma & a couple of photos w/ friends, I figured I wouldn't need much of this stuff. I opened it up, and it ended up being my old comic collection! I haven't seen these in over a decade. They were in (I thought) pretty good shape, so I sent them off to CBCS on a whim. They came back 8.5-9.8, which I thought was great. So, I wandered over to my LCS on payday...and immediately realized I need to start working lots of overtime! So now I'm back into it with a passion.
+2 link
blueshadow
blueshadow

1/16/2018

blueshadow
blueshadow
I started collecting as a child in the 1960s and 70's. Lost interest and ran in to money problems around 1980. Sold off most of my collections to fund college with money to spare. Whenever I have tough times in my life I return to comics, but usually only for a bout a year and I became disappointed again in the lack of quality writing. So I was in and out of the market until 2011 until I meet a woman who was a huge comic nerd. We started going to the comic shops every week and expanding our collections. I went back and bought the favorite issues from my youth as well as purchased dozens of TPB collections to read.
Lately I have been buying two comics of my favorites, one a reader copy and another that I send out and slab to preserve it for future generations. The paper quality used in the 60s and 70's was really bad and without preservation techniques these comic will go the way of the pulps and be lost to mankind except grade levels 1 to 5 in a few more decades.
So a little investing, I also go to the conventions, but mostly a collector of my favorite characters and I enjoy finding comics I overlooked during the last 50 years and now enjoy. Like finding hidden treasure.
+2 link
Finley2020
Finley2020

2/1/2018

Finley2020
Finley2020
blueshadow wrote:
Sold off most of my collections to fund college with money to spare.
Wow! Given the price of college these days not sure if that would be feasible anymore, haha. I've been gone for a few solid months. Work has kept me busy and I've purchased next to nothing in the meantime. Shame on me. Glad to see this thread still moving smile
0 link
rsantos
rsantos

3/11/2018

rsantos
rsantos
In my 30 years of reading comics, the one thing that still keeps me going has been all the back issues from the 60s-90s. That's what I mostly collect these days. Just filling in issues I missed. I hardly get excited about the new stuff. Seems like it's written in these 5-6 issue arcs that are meant to be published as TPB in a year. Creative teams get replaced every few issues, and editors/writers have lost any respect for continuity.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

3/12/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
rsantos wrote:
In my 30 years of reading comics, the one thing that still keeps me going has been all the back issues from the 60s-90s. That's what I mostly collect these days. Just filling in issues I missed. I hardly get excited about the new stuff. Seems like it's written in these 5-6 issue arcs that are meant to be published as TPB in a year. Creative teams get replaced every few issues, and editors/writers have lost any respect for continuity.

Yes the arcs are generally about 5 issues long. that's what many people prefer. They will often set up the next or future story arcs but the five issue arc is done so that those many folks who do buy and read just the trades have a complete arc. Single one-off stories are pretty much a thing of the past and that is good for those of us who read trades because they often have left out these books in trades. Trades are a big deal now and you should hope to hell a books has trade saleability because that can keep a title around that might otherwise get the axe.

As for continuity, you couldn't be more wrong. however, it is more that they are paying too much attention to the overall continuity that sometimes a character continuity can suffer. With the number of events both companies run now writers on a title have to write with the overall continuity in mind and have to be able to have their character to drop into a cross-over event and back again. The problem is now there are either so many events or so little is delivered by the event that some individual titles can get disrupted. there is so much time spent on the upcoming event that it is tremendously hard for all the individual titles to build up a strong story and continuity. This is bad because one of the goal of a event is to try and sell people on the other titles in the company.

Changing creative teams is an inevitability now. The titles that tend to have the worst turnover are the second string titles like your Supergirls, Robins, Captain Marvel, etc. Books that have historically never been great at holding their market share. When that market share drops they change the teams or they use these titles as a building point for their new hires. You almost never see a big name artist or writer on such books or if they are noted for their work they will often shuffle them off to some crap like Batman or Iron Man. This is also a product of the way comics have been done for the last 20-30 years. Before their used to be a stable "bull-pen" of creators that would be assigned a title and they all got paid from a pool of cash. Now there are contracts and if you are prize writer artist you get the pick of the litter meaning likely the most popular books newbies and lesser paid folks get the "dregs" and if they prove themselves there they are shipped out. Unless the title is creator owned it is really rare that you get a creative team on a book for very long. 10 year runs like Dan Slott just finished on ASM are super duper rare and unless it is a popular creator owned title like the Walking Dead it just doesn't often happen any more.
0 link