2018 comic goals for members Messages in this topic - RSS

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

1/28/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Every year someone gets this up and running, what are your goals this year in collecting? Here’s mine.

1st goal is to replace all of my comic boxes with better new boxes. Some of the 60 boxes are beat up, some I have writing on them that have been crossed out numerous times, looking bad.

2nd goal is to replace comics bags and boards with Mylar and fullbacks like I’ve done the past 8 years, so I got the years before using Mylar to go thru. Most likely use halfsbacks to save space, fullbacks you can’t get as many in a box.

3rd goal is to reorganize my comics in boxes by putting them in alphabetical order. My organizing has been poor at times, just putting new buys in one box and not putting in the right boxes. This goal will be done by doing goal one and two. Obliviously this won’t be easy but it really needs to be done.

4th goal is to at least get a few of my original art I’ve bought framed. It sucks that they are stashed away in a closet and hardly look at them.

5th goal is upgrade a few books I have but not in grades I would like. One is Phantom #1, I got two copies but really would like a high grade of it, which I’m finding out is harder than I want it to be. But it is fun to try. Others to upgrade is Batman 155, Batman 232, and Batman 234, which a a lot easy to upgrade.

6th goal is to try to be more selective in what I buy. Really need to reduce the amount bought, more thinking quality of books bought than amount.

7th goal...pay the rent before buying comics each month!!!

What are your goals this year? Would enjoy hearing from you!
edited by Jokerbangedquinn on 1/28/2018
edited by Jokerbangedquinn on 1/28/2018
+1 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/29/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Can I comment on your goals before sharing mine?

About your 4th goal - A few years ago, I had 4 pieces of original art framed when Michael's had a 1/2 off framing sale. I put them under UV glass to protect them. That was one of the best things I've ever done with my collection. Comic book people are visual people so getting to see my favorite pieces made me happy. Plus it easier for non-comic book lovers to appreciate my passion for the hobby. The typical response is something like, "That's amazing". I would move that goal up the list.

My goals
1. Continue moving my comics from long boxes to short boxes. Easier to handle and organize.
2. Continue working on my Neal Adams collection. I have all Neal Adams' drawn Batman, need 11 Detectives, 4 Justice Leagues. The Adams' House of Mystery and House of Secrets books are so hard to find in VF and above. Since Neal did mostly DC, the Avengers and X-men books are usually very expensive. Patience Ron patience.
3. This is a bit weird. A few months ago I became obsessed with finding a certain cover. The cover is super common but I didn't realize it until recently. It shows one hero carrying another hero. (Crisis on Infinite Earths 7, Avengers 49, etc) I call it the carrying cover and so far I have bought 31 examples of it. So if you see one let me know. Since I'm the writer for the CPG blog you'll hear about it eventually.
4. Buy some key books that I really like. On the list, Captain America 110, Conan the Barbarian 1, Amazing Spider-man 50, Invincible 1, House of Secrets 92, bought Detective 400 last week! Yay!
5. Don't let my wife know how much I spend on comics. #lifegoals
+1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

1/29/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
I enjoy seeing your goals. 5th goal is key to happiness in my household! Your goal of #3 is cool. My first thought is BATMAN 156, I love that cover! I’d bet a marvel Tomb of Dracula would have one but I’d doubt it would be a hero he is carrying.
Your goal of using short boxes is smart. I moved too many times to know short boxes are so much easier to move and those helping will appreciate lighter boxes.
Thanks for the advice of framing. I did plan to get UV glass. I got a Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy art by Timm I’ve had for ten years and a giclee print by Alex Ross called Joker’s Reckoning, also had for years that both need to be on my walls. Other art can wait but the two mentioned are first to frame. And you are completely right, push that goal to number one, just can’t to stop buying comics for awhile....gonna be hard!...congrats on the tech #400, I still need one. Wish I bought one years ago though.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

1/29/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
World’s finest #180 is a carrying cover, right?
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/30/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Batman 156 is one of the first carrying covers. I'm missing that one but not for long. I've been bidding on copies of that issue for a month now. soon. Its funny Tomb of Dracula has SEVEN carrying covers. They seem like victims instead of heroes though.

Harley and Poison Ivy by Timm? Dude, that needs to be displayed! Joker's Reckoning has that crazy angle that makes you stare at it. Very cool
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

1/30/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Finish paying for my Sideshow statues, fill out more of my want list, try to finally secure a copy of Savage Tales #1 (or at least see one in person), organize my comic room (and house).
+1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

1/30/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Ronbatman wrote:
Batman 156 is one of the first carrying covers. I'm missing that one but not for long. I've been bidding on copies of that issue for a month now. soon. Its funny Tomb of Dracula has SEVEN carrying covers. They seem like victims instead of heroes though.

Harley and Poison Ivy by Timm? Dude, that needs to be displayed! Joker's Reckoning has that crazy angle that makes you stare at it. Very cool

Ya, Tomb of Dracula I didn’t think they would be anyone we knew being carried. But hey close but no cigar.

I’ll find my scan of the Timm artwork, it was in one of his sketchbooks too, pretty cool. I got another Timm that is framed of Batgirl, luckily it was framed when I bought it.

I’m sure you got Uncanny X-Men #136, and #167, annual #6 all “carrying covers”? I’m sure there a a bunch of Action Comics or Superman covers with Superman carrying Lois are out there.
Looking forward with the blog covering your finds!
edited by Jokerbangedquinn on 1/30/2018
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

1/30/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Oxbladder wrote:
Finish paying for my Sideshow statues, fill out more of my want list, try to finally secure a copy of Savage Tales #1 (or at least see one in person), organize my comic room (and house).

Ox three years ago or so I was doing the same thing with paying off my three statues from them. Payment plans make it easy to jump in and buy from Sideshow. Hurts for awhile but man I’m so happy I bought mine and last year found space to display.
Is Savage Tales hard to find in Canada?
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

1/30/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
jokerbangedquinn wrote:
Oxbladder wrote:

Ox three years ago or so I was doing the same thing with paying off my three statues from them. Payment plans make it easy to jump in and buy from Sideshow. Hurts for awhile but man I’m so happy I bought mine and last year found space to display.
Is Savage Tales hard to find in Canada?

I had to cut back on my modern purchases to afford the statues. I have three on order and one through my LCS coming. But I am looking forward to them!

No it's not hard to find but I am looking locally and in my area Marvel mags are not readily available in the stores. It's hard to believe that I haven't even seen a copy in person since I started collecting in 1979. It frustrates me. It's the one Man-Thing key that has eluded me.
0 link
kitdog
kitdog

1/30/2018

kitdog
kitdog
Most achievable this year.
1) find the few holes I have in my spawn run, I think i have like 15 missing issues to get.
2) work on having a complete punisher collection.
Hope to achieve this year
1) Complete Lady Death Avitar run.
2) knock off some sketch covers from my wish list.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

1/30/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Kitdog good to hear from you. Only 15 or less to complete your Spawn collection is pretty cool. I only have the Max Punisher series by Ennis, fun reading, love Barracuda, got that mini too.
Not knowing much about Lady Death, doesn’t it have a bunch of hard to find variants or really low print runs? That would drive me crazy if trying to complete that.
0 link
kitdog
kitdog

1/30/2018

kitdog
kitdog
Well Thank you Jokerbangedquinn, I don't post here much since the crash and reboot, but I still lurk, the people here are friendly and I never got into the CGC boards.
The Spawns I need are in the 150-184 area, right when I had my youngest son and paused comic collecting, and of course they are the hard ones to find lol.

Punisher I have always loved and I just have random holes in that, but I keep working on it.

My main muse is the Lady Death stuff been at it since Lady Death #1 I have the bulk of affordable Chaos Run, the whole CrossGen run, and like 85% of the Avitar run. You are right though now that LD is now back being published by Brian Pulido and on Coffin Comics they do have super limited ultra low print run books, as low as 13 copies, and I have had to accept (as hard as it is as a completionist) that I will never be able to have a full Coffin Comics run... Unless I win the mega-bucks. lol
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/31/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Kitdog, 15 missing issue from a set of 280+ is impressive. I always get excited when I add a book that connects a run. Do you collect everything with Spawn or just the regular title?

Does it seem ironic to anyone that Kitdog has some holes in his Punisher collection? Wherever Punisher is there should be holes. smile

I'm missing 7 issues of Batman from issue 191(May 1967) to today. Missing issues are taunts to a completist.
0 link

2/1/2018

Can't believe there's activity here. Better take advantage of it!

My Goals for 2018:
1. I've got to trim down my new titles and start reading them during the week I buy them. I'm so far behind on so many titles, and also have so many thousands of back issues to read,
that I don't even know where to start. My hobby, that is supposed to be something relaxing, has turned into a source of stress.
2. Although this runs counter to my first goal, I want to continue filling my runs of Batman, Detective, Action, and Superman. Most of the ones I need are Silver and Golden Age.
3. Finish Daredevil run except for #1. Need about 4 others.
4. Finish Thor run except for JIM #83. Need about 15 others.
5. Finish FF run except #1. Need about 6 others.
6. Buy Amazing Fantasy 15 before it gets too far out of reach. Been planning for last couple of years, but this year I just need to do it.

I think that's enough. If I can complete #1 and #6, it would be a great year for me.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

2/2/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
When you get down to just a few issues missing of a title do you get excited because it's so close or worried because they are the hard to find issues?
+1 link
Dylman
Dylman

2/2/2018

Dylman
Dylman
excited of course!
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/2/2018

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Great question HR.
and here we go!

1) Pay rent before any purchase wink
2) Find some more bronze age horrors.
3) I try not to add goals when it comes to comic books. I like to go on instinct. Chance it, Most times i come out on top.
4) Find a copy of "Superman: The Man of Steel # 17" second print ...Oh! just found one, By chance Cool will post soon.
5) Find a few key issues i've been after.
6) Re-post all my pictures in my back issues thread. As photo bucket sucks dog balls (big hairy sweaty ones) Cursing it may take awhile for this to happen.
7) Keep posting on Tex's blog page that is where my latest post are. https://texscomicsnewsandreviews.blogspot.com.au/
8) Hope that some older CPG members come back. Unknown (Mitz), Bounty, Robbie (master collector himself) among many others. I miss you guys.
9) Finish "My Display Case". I have to go through a S*#% load of boxes to find those books that are worthy.
10) Buy a major book or many small books at "Supernova" Sydney this year. Going in blind, Wish me luck.

I thought i add this for fun.
My Non-Comic goals for 2018.

1) Find a boxed set of "Rockford Files"

2) Get back into playing some games. Just bought a "Nintendo Switch" Oh boy is it good.
3) Get a light bar for my Hilux Ute.
4) Buy Tickets for the extreme Ghost Tour at Manly Quarantine Station. Sydney.
5) Get my 1968 Cotton Gin blue-prints framed.
edited by Gilgandra on 2/2/2018
edited by Gilgandra on 2/2/2018
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

2/2/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Your #6 is what I’m doing. I use photobucket but haven’t uploaded for a few years. Others have had problems, don’t understand why I haven’t had problems, strange.
I’m with you gilgaandra, I enjoyed Robbie’s collection and all of his wisdom he shared. Bounty missed, really cool person. And unknown(Mitz) I thought he got robbed of his collection, and just stopped coming around. Wasn’t mitz into 10c books?
Hey is it Summer weather for you this time of year?
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/2/2018

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
jokerbangedquinn wrote:
Your #6 is what I’m doing. I use photobucket but haven’t uploaded for a few years. Others have had problems, don’t understand why I haven’t had problems, strange.
I’m with you gilgaandra, I enjoyed Robbie’s collection and all of his wisdom he shared. Bounty missed, really cool person. And unknown(Mitz) I thought he got robbed of his collection, and just stopped coming around. Wasn’t mitz into 10c books?
Hey is it Summer weather for you this time of year?

Yeah! I think he was robbed of at least half his collection, was a shame. Yes, he was into 10 centers.
It's going to be a pain to re-post my pictures but it must be done smile
Summer time, That is correct HR. Starting to cool of a little now, Heading towards Autumn (Fall).
Did you read my updated post, I added some Non-Comic goals Lol. just for fun.
0 link

2/2/2018

Ok, I’ll bite on the non comic goals.

#1 Quit smoking. Smoked 10 packs a week, now 1 pack a week. Nasty habit, been smoking over 35 years. Live a more healthier life style.

#2. Get my telescope out at least once a month with my dad. Great bonding time with dad. He is 80, time/life is going by to fast. Fun deep thinking conversations while looking for objects

#3 buy more 4K Blu-ray’s...I’m hooked.

#4 don’t talk politics.

#5 save enough money to send my daughter a few months of her mortgage payments or car payments.
0 link