aarondawe

all messages by user

5/25/2016
Topic:
head-rush/jokerbangedquinn back issues

aarondawe
aarondawe
Nice GSX#1. I wish mine looked that good. I should scan mine for a laugh.

Steranko definitely earned his reputation.

Aaron
5/25/2016
Topic:

aarondawe
aarondawe
Ha ha ha. It is a bit quiet around here. I partly blame this on the rise of social media and the prevalence of smartphones which started about 8 years ago (which is when board activity dropped --and not just here).
Aaron
5/25/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Apparently I have gotten over my phobia of paying more than $20 for a book. I still can't do purchases out of pocket, but if I make $800 selling crap on eBay I don't even think about it anymore.
Aaron
5/26/2016
Topic:

aarondawe
aarondawe
Yeah, the crash didn't help. It's all Obama's fault!

Aaron
5/26/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
gregbrookins wrote:
I have a hard time going over 20 a book most times. The one exception, I spent about 100 bucks on FF 48, but I had to there.

I paid more than $100 for my FF 48 several years ago, and I recall it being a really difficult decision. Of course, the book sells for a lot more than that now, so in hindsight, it was was a good idea.

I thought paying $60 for FF 52 at 6.0 was too rich 10 years ago. Hopefully the movie momentum continues with that one.

Aaron
5/26/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
At my peak, I owned around 22 long boxes (none bagged and boarded). A few moves, and getting married knocked that down to about 4, but I'm now pushing past 6 now. Fortunately I was able to trade about 8 boxes worth with a couple of internet dealers, and that's how I built most of my FF and '70s creature/horror books.
Aaron
5/31/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
I grabbed a few things to scan from my collection that I've had for years. When I first started collecting, one of my goals was to get one issue of every published Marvel title, so that's where these first two came from.

The Cat looks really good for a book that I never bagged and boarded for 20 years at least.

This one gave some concern over my goal, as the last issue became 'Gunhawk' -- did I need to buy that one too?

And this is an Australian reprint that a neighbor gave me. I have a Marvel Team-up one as well. B&W, with 2-3 issues reprinted inside. This one isn't even in the guide here.

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 5/31/2016
6/9/2016
Topic:
New CGC Case

aarondawe
aarondawe
gregbrookins wrote:
I just got 2 books back from CGC and I can't see anything obviously wrong. What should I look for? Should I be worried?

You'll have to do a Goggle search, or find Steve Borock's note about the case and the issues with it. The main issues seem to be a 'waviness of some books, colour lift on the inside case (because they are using pressure to hold the book in place, and for older books possibly popped staples or spine cracks (over time). I assume they would not have switched to the new case if the problems were common and easily apparent, so not all are going to have these issues.

Aaron
6/15/2016
Topic:
Missing back cover valuation.

aarondawe
aarondawe
Missing a full cover is a .5. I think the back missing is usually considered a 1.0. Of course, once you bag and board it, no one will know it's missing the back, unless you mention it.

Aaron
6/15/2016
Topic:
Comic book price guide hacked

aarondawe
aarondawe
I know that comicbookdatabase was hacked -- are you sure it was this site that was hacked? It doesn't show up as hacked on sites that identify these issues.
Shadow (site admin- appears to have had his personal e-mail hacked -- I got some spam from his address).
Aaron
6/18/2016
Topic:
Data base entries

aarondawe
aarondawe
You're essentially correct. The difference between pencils and breakdowns is that breakdowns usually do not have any detail (figures may not everything drawn, including faces). This makes it more work for the inker, as they have to add everything in (therefore, the 'embellisher'). Some well known examples of this would be Frank Miller's Daredevil after the death of Elektra where Klaus Janson was effectively the artist, but going over FM's breakdowns. I believe the same is true of the Wolverine ltd series (with Rubinstein doing the bulk of the work).
Aaron
6/24/2016
Topic:
Best way to sell/move bulk comics?

aarondawe
aarondawe
gregbrookins wrote:
Looks like I'm selling my FF run. It's about 2 1/2 long boxes worth. I don't feel like selling each book, so lot sale is best for me. Would shipping be ridiculous or what? Overstreet value puts the lot at around 5700. I figure if i get half that I'll be doing good. So any advice?

Thanks

Boooo!
Aaron
7/4/2016
Topic:
CapnDoug's Back Issue Discoveries

aarondawe
aarondawe
CapnDoug wrote:
So, it's been a while since I posted anything. Mostly since it's been a while since I bought anything. But a few weeks ago I had a con where I was selling my duplicates and had a rather good day, selling a fair number of my high value issues (Claremont/Byrne X-Men, for example) and decided to open the wallet. I can't seem to get my scanner to work since, so I can't show off the find, but I picked up Amazing Spider-Man #238 for $80.

The dealer had it listed at $100 and noted that the tattoos were missing (which is fine because if the tattoos were there I would have been very cautious about the repair possibility), still looks like about an 8.0. Might go down to a 7.0, might even go a touch higher, but I'm comfortable at 8.0. Wasn't until I looked up what I actually had in the Overstreet that I realized what was going on. I had bought the Canadian Newsstand variant which did not come with tattoos (at east according to the Overstreet). So, not a bad addition to the collection. One more high value comic crossed off the list.

The Canadian version does have the tattoos -- I just lost out on an auction of that book and the owner showed me that the tattoos were intact in the book.

And to Colbalt91 -- the tattoos are also in FF 252 (the sideways issue) and I believe all US newsstand versions of comics released that month (I had them in my Uncanny X-men 167, an issue Rom and the Defenders). However, as the tattoo insert is stapled into the book, it would be pretty darn difficult to remove one from a lower value book and add it into the ASM.

Aaron
7/12/2016
Topic:
10 YEAR MEMBERS

aarondawe
aarondawe
I think I'm just over ten years myself. I kind of miss how busy and vibrant it was here for awhile, just before Obama became prez (it's all Obama's fault!).

Aaron
7/13/2016
Topic:
need help identifying issue of Fantastic Four

aarondawe
aarondawe
Laroo42 wrote:
Does it not have all the publishing information of the inside of the comic? It should say there...

The older Marvels, the publishing information was printed on the inside cover. It may be 12, but I can't tell from the first page -- it could be a reprint.
Aaron
7/14/2016
Topic:
need help identifying issue of Fantastic Four

aarondawe
aarondawe
G Bell inked issue 25, which had the Hulk, so that's probably the one it is.

Aaron
7/21/2016
Topic:
1st Appearances VS. Cameos: The Money Books

aarondawe
aarondawe
'We' don't get to determine which books are more valuable. The market does that. That's why I always get a chuckle out of those blogs with the 'what's hot' push for obscure 'hot' books. If it's easy to find and people aren't buying it, it's not going to go up in value.

If you want to change how people perceive these, then you will need to convince a large number of people to throw down more money for a copy of Incredible Hulk 180 (as an example), than they currently would for the same condition 181. Then people would see it as more valuable. Wishing won't make it so.

As an aside, my older Overstreet guides have 180 as more valuable than 181. I think this is evidence that people only wish to pay more for the first full issue of the character, even if it's not his true 'first' appearance.

Aaron
8/12/2016
Topic:
1st Appearances VS. Cameos: The Money Books

aarondawe
aarondawe
Oxbladder wrote:
aarondawe wrote:
'We' don't get to determine which books are more valuable. The market does that. That's why I always get a chuckle out of those blogs with the 'what's hot' push for obscure 'hot' books. If it's easy to find and people aren't buying it, it's not going to go up in value.

'We' are collectors/readers so unless you are downloading everything for free 'we' are the market. BTW there are lots of easy to find expensive books, such as Incredible Hulk #181. So "easy" or "hard" to find really isn't a factor as much as does the number of copies out there meet demand? Sometime super rare books rarely go up by much if at all because they just never go up for sale or no one is actively hunting them.

If you want to change how people perceive these, then you will need to convince a large number of people to throw down more money for a copy of Incredible Hulk 180 (as an example), than they currently would for the same condition 181. Then people would see it as more valuable.

You are right about that, but, you would have to agree that, like many other things in the hobby, there is absolutely no consistency in either definitions or how "the market" values these books. More consistency on how we define first appearances would eliminate at least one of the barriers newcomers have in trying to learn the hobby. Frankly, I don't care how the market values the various early appearances I just care that we recognize them consistently. I think a first appearance be it cameo or full be recognized as the first appearance with no designation that it is cameo or full. If the character's first appearance is a cameo then the first full story appearance should be labeled as "first full story".
edited by Oxbladder on 8/12/2016
edited by Oxbladder on 8/12/2016

What I was trying to say in my first point above, is that as we can all agree that Wolverine first appeared in IH 180 (as an example of what's being discussed), and that Overstreet used to list it as being more valuable in the guide years ago, but at some point market forces decided that the 181 was the more desirable book to have (so the value of 181 increased to reflect that). 'We' didn't get to decide that, even if factually it doesn't make sense from a logic or character/collector point of view. In this case, it may be because it's a full issue of an early appearance (much like ASM 300), which then leads into your second point about inconsistency, which I agree with, but the market may still determine another issue as more desirable. I don't see Marvel Premiere #19 ever taking over either Hulk issue in value, despite some trying to 'sell it' as the first appearance of Wolverine. Ticks me off, actually, as that's the only MP I need to complete my Iron Fist run and I'm not paying BS speculator prices on that issue.
But as another example (and this goes with my 'what's hot' point), remember when Wizard was pushing two early appearances of 'Venom' (where a hand pushed PP on to a subway track, and off a building)? Even if these are documented early appearances (and I believe the proof is tenuous, at best), I don't think most people are going to accept that these are Venom's first appearance so these will never catch on in the marketplace. ASM 300 also had 3 other things going for it (Venom first full issue, McFarlane, and an anniversary issue).
So, I suspect even if there was consistency in what constitutes a first appearance/cameo, the values may not always reflect that in the marketplace. Who knows though? The value difference between IH 180 and 181 did eventually happen (rightly or wrongly), but it took time. Maybe knowledge can turn this type of thing around eventually.
Aaron
8/19/2016
Topic:
Printings

aarondawe
aarondawe
Are you sure the only difference is the UPC code box? Check the price box too -- you may simply be looking at the difference between a newsstand copy versus the direct edition (based on you question). Both are first prints.

Aaron
8/19/2016
Topic:
Printings

aarondawe
aarondawe
US price is the same for both. The price box for newsstand is rectangular, whereas for '80s books, the Marvel direct editions had either a black Diamond shape, or an 'M' for the price box. Direct editions would list prices in all currency (the ones without the UPC code), and the newsstand versions would only show one currency (and often had the 'CC' publishing logo as well).

Aaron