all messages by user

1/12/2016
Topic:
Gilgandra Back Issues 2.0

aarondawe
aarondawe
Gilgandra wrote:
CapnDoug wrote:
I saw a copy of that Supernatural Thrillers #1 at a con a few months back from a great seller. Ended up buying some of the Sterenko X-Men instead. I keep wondering if I should have tried to cut a better deal and add one more comic to the bundle. Didn't realize that it was a hard issue to find. You have a whole whack of cool issues there, Gil.

Thanks Doug!
Supernatural Thrillers #1 isn't rare but i think it was one of those books that wasn't popular in the day, So maybe many copies were ruined by time or just thrown out. It is very hard to find in a higher grade.
I have never seen a copy of number 2. Which also graces a cover by Steranko. I have both reprints of them (Masters of Terror) Magazine.

You mean these?

I have to get better pictures, but I believe my #1 is upper grade (but perhaps not high grade).

My first post to the new forum (I preferred being 'thatjerk', but I guess I'm stuck with my price guide ID now. I find the new forum slow to load, so not sure how much I'll be posting.

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 1/12/2016
1/13/2016
Topic:
Gilgandra Back Issues 2.0

aarondawe
aarondawe
Gilgandra wrote:

G'day Aaron good to see you back. It doesn't load slow for me. I hope you start up a back issue thread!
Wow that's them, I have them all bar #2...Very cool indeed sir.

Works much faster at work, so I'm not sure why the site is so slow at home. I'll see if I can address that somehow.

I may start a back issue thread -- I have a bunch of scans for my database that I could just start loading on here for a start.

Aaron
1/14/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Decided to start a back issue thread here at the new forum (maybe it will kickstart some more activity; or maybe not).
I went under the ID of 'thatjerk', which of course was not my price guide login, so the name's changed.

In the old forum I had a thread dedicated to my Marvel 70's monster and horror reprint runs that I was starting to add other stuff to just before the crash. I may post some of that stuff again too.
After completing the reprint books and my run of Fantastic Four 1-300, I've been kind of going for other things to satisfy the collecting bug.
One thing I picked up in the past year were these issues of Uncanny X-men. I already had 3 of the Neal Adams issues as part of work I did grading someone's collection for them, and realized that while I don't care about the 'old' X-men, I love the Adams issues and decided to complete those:

edited by aarondawe on 10/7/2017
1/14/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe

Picked this one up recently. I always liked Fin Fang Foom since I first read this in Crazy Magazine.

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 10/8/2017
1/17/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Thanks. There's something special about Mr. Fin Fang Foom. With a bit of luck, maybe he'll get in one of the Iron Man movies.
Aaron
1/17/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
A repost of the first 120 issues or so of my Fantastic Four run.

11-20

21-30

31-40

41-50

51-60

61-70

71-80

81-90

91-100

101-110

110 Error Version (upgraded copy)

111-120

30 cent

35 cent

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 1/17/2016
1/17/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
And a shot of books that I went to have graded at PGX back in the early days of being on the forum (I guess that was over 10 years ago now). I'm a much older and wiser man these days.

Aaron
1/20/2016
Topic:
Ruk's list-Who has the best collection

aarondawe
aarondawe
I don't think I ever looked at this thread on the old board.
Issues - 1790
Value - $34,872.00
1/22/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Crowman wrote:
Stunning books you can be well proud of!

My run is complete from #30 - #100 and a lot above #100 but far from complete.
edited by Crowman on 1/20/2016

I only finished the run because I'm not quite as fussy on grade as yourself. Still tried to go for solid copies though, otherwise there wouldn't have been as much fun or challenge trying to get the run together. You have a lot of really nice books in your collection that I would love to have.

Aaron
1/24/2016
Topic:
Oxbladder's stuff 3.0

aarondawe
aarondawe
I think those construction workers missed their try-out for the Village People.
Aaron
1/26/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Oxbladder wrote:
Is that my old cover less #1 of FF that I see? You look to have added one with a cover now as well! Awesome. I wish I could have secured 1-10 when I was youngerupset I have never physically seen a #2, 5,6, and 8-10

That is indeed your coverless FF. I was briefly considering getting one of those recreation covers put on it at one time, but it didn't feel right (and would have felt disrespectful to the previous owner). And they told me they couldn't guarantee to keep the original staples.

The cover-ed one is the Golden Records reprint. The picture is using the art of placement to hide the obvious deficiencies of the books (#7 has a big piece out of the bottom right corner, for example).

I picked up 9 and 10 from Doug Sulipa, and 6 from mycomicshop and 7 at a local show. The rest were from eBay.

Aaron
1/27/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Thought I'd repost this one:

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 1/27/2016
1/29/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Tex -- I know you like that one. That's why I re-posted it. I'm quite happy with this one as I paid less for it than raw copies in lower grade were going for at the time on eBay.

Aaron
1/29/2016
Topic:
Gilgandra's movies & TV series collection.

aarondawe
aarondawe
I'm a big Studio Ghibli fan ever since I caught the massively butchered Warriors of the Wind (Nausicaa) on pay TV in the 80s. Even their worst films are still pretty good (the Ursula le Guin adaptation was pretty weak).

About 15 years ago, I was writing for an anime magazine and I was given an opportunity to interview Hayao Miyazaki at the Toronto Film Festival (while he was promoting Princess Mononoke). I went to the interview, watched him being interviewed by Roger Ebert in the hotel room, only to find out that they had cancelled my interview and neglected to inform me. So I never had my chance to ask him anything.

If you ever have the chance to go to Japan, you have to go to the Ghibli Museum outside of Tokyo -- it's amazing.

Aaron
1/30/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Not sure if I
ever posted this one on the old board or not, but shortly after finishing up my
FF run, I decided to start grabbing all Dr. Doom appearances prior to 1980.
Still working on these, but I knocked off the most expensive one right off the
bat (although those Hero For Hire ‘where’s my money, honey’ issues are a bit
pricey now. Should have got those before Netflix announced the Luke Cage show):

Aaron
edited by aarondawe on 1/30/2016
1/30/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
More in my Dr. Doom stuff. I have the first 8 issues of
Astonishing Tales (but only have the scans available for the first three).

Aaron
1/30/2016
Topic:
That Jerk's Stuff

aarondawe
aarondawe
Also have nearly completed my run for Super Villain Team-up
(not all are available as scans). I have the 30 cent variant for issue 6. The
series was fairly craptacular and underwhelming. They changed creative teams
almost every other issue and I don’t think anyone knew what to do with it. I
also can’t stand Sub-Mariner, so I’m sure that plays a part.

2/9/2016
Topic:
head-rush/jokerbangedquinn back issues

aarondawe
aarondawe
I see you're having the same issues I have with the photobucket tags. I copy the tag into my post, and when it goes live, there's no picture. But often when I go back to edit, the pictures are there, so I save the changes and it's good to go.
Aaron
2/9/2016
Topic:
head-rush/jokerbangedquinn back issues

aarondawe
aarondawe
jokerbangedquinn wrote:

See -- all I did was reply to your post. No changes to your tags. Bloody weird.
Aaron
2/10/2016
Topic:
CapnDoug's Back Issue Discoveries

aarondawe
aarondawe
CapnDoug wrote:

Also Kirby... I'm getting a pretty decent FF collection, too. I mean, it pales in comparison to some other threads, but still some nice books. This came from a collection that a guy just wanted to get rid of. About 40 cents an issue.

Ahem. I have no idea what other threads you may be referring to.

Aaron
1234 ..8