Printings Messages in this topic - RSS

CurShark
CurShark

8/18/2016

CurShark
CurShark
How can I tell the difference in first and second printings? The covers look the same except for the upc symbol. The pictures on the site in this instance are of Spidey in his webbed mask and the other is Spidey in black mask. My comic actually has the upc bar code.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

8/18/2016

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Look at the inside cover or the first page for the indicia, the small print which will tell you the books title, when it was printed and tell you if it is a first print or later printings. Hope this helps.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

8/19/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
CurShark wrote:
How can I tell the difference in first and second printings? The covers look the same except for the upc symbol. The pictures on the site in this instance are of Spidey in his webbed mask and the other is Spidey in black mask. My comic actually has the upc bar code.

This subject has come up alot recently (understandably so). I did this in the old forum so here i go again, Took awhile to piece this together Lol.

To add to what Ox & HR have said the where to find some of the answers to these questions.

Marvel comics is mostly the easy one to work out what printing it is, They colour coded there books for a time Gold for second print & Silver for third print, Here are some examples...

These are second prints Gold backgrounds or headings or holograms.

Here is a Marvel third Silver print.

This on the other hand, This is a ...Yes a second print. It was only sold with the Ghost Rider pic as the UPC. No gold colour to be seen.

I can confirm this with the Indicia of the same book! You can plainly see the second print written in the Indicia.

This is a rarer version of a second print, Simply put...There is no indication or UPC to show what is obviously the difference from the first or second print.

Therefore one needs to look at the indicia. Here again is the indicia from the same book.

Sometimes Marvel just says what it is Lol, As with with Silver Surfer #50.

To add insult to injury, One of the hardest to work out is a Marvel book Lol. Transformers #4 There is a second print & to find out if it's a second or not one needs to look at the month it was printed in the indicia. I don't have it so sorry no example to show, Hope this all helps some what.
But remember what Ox said look at the UPC (if it has one) & if it ends in a 2 then it's a second print.

I'll try do a DC comics one later, But i don't have as much to show as i do Marvel comics.
edited by Gilgandra on 9/14/2016
0 link
CurShark
CurShark

8/19/2016

CurShark
CurShark
thanks !
+1 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

8/19/2016

aarondawe
aarondawe
Are you sure the only difference is the UPC code box? Check the price box too -- you may simply be looking at the difference between a newsstand copy versus the direct edition (based on you question). Both are first prints.

Aaron
0 link
CurShark
CurShark

8/19/2016

CurShark
CurShark
aarondawe wrote:
Are you sure the only difference is the UPC code box? Check the price box too -- you may simply be looking at the difference between a newsstand copy versus the direct edition (based on you question). Both are first prints.

Aaron

Is there a price difference in newsstand and direct edition? I had asked that question to the guy that owns my local comics shop and gotten no answer.
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

8/19/2016

aarondawe
aarondawe
US price is the same for both. The price box for newsstand is rectangular, whereas for '80s books, the Marvel direct editions had either a black Diamond shape, or an 'M' for the price box. Direct editions would list prices in all currency (the ones without the UPC code), and the newsstand versions would only show one currency (and often had the 'CC' publishing logo as well).

Aaron
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

8/21/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
aarondawe wrote:
US price is the same for both. The price box for newsstand is rectangular, whereas for '80s books, the Marvel direct editions had either a black Diamond shape, or an 'M' for the price box. Direct editions would list prices in all currency (the ones without the UPC code), and the newsstand versions would only show one currency (and often had the 'CC' publishing logo as well).

Aaron

Nice call Aaron, Didn't think of that slap forehead
I found an example of those "CC" books for those who want answers to these questions. I do have an 'M' comic somewhere but can't find it.

This is New Mutants #87. "CC" stands for Curtis Circulation who distributed newsstand copies for Marvel. Here is a link to explain who they are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Circulation.

And another example of What If...? #108.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

8/21/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
CurShark wrote:
thanks !

I (as i said before) don't have much to show on DC Comics extra prints, If anyone else has please go ahead & post examples.

Here is a couple of my DC comics examples of extra prints.

Batman #423 third print. Again...Same with Marvel, DC Comics had books with no extinguishable marks on the cover as to what the different prints were.

To see what it is look at the all important indica. (the pic is of the same book)

DC Comics had a roman numeral II, III, IV so on & so forth under the price box on the cover to show what print it was. This (as most collectors know) was very cool & cheeky as most completely missed it. Very small & obscure.
Don't forget to look for it now you know...I know i've missed it in the past Lol.

Here is my example of a rare DC Comics double whammy, Deathstroke the Terminator #1 gold background (a Marvel comic rip-off Lol) the only one i know of that they did, But can you spot the roman numeral II.

Here it is close up.

But as always...It's mentioned in the indicia (of the same book).

edited by Gilgandra on 8/21/2016
0 link