Nov-97

PRICE
$
11/13/2016
Topic:
Help Us Feed the CPG Megacomputer

psmart
psmart
Is there a way to filter this data down to the issues that I KNOW I own? I'm primarily in "data entry" mode with already completed 70 boxes, but still have about 100 to go... Needless to say it's HARD to get at the boxes easily, so if there was a way that I knew maybe 10 of the issues I owned (in the same box) and the box wasn't buried behind other boxes then I could help verify.

I didn't really know about this until I JUST saw this article today.
11/13/2016
Topic:
Moving Comics To New Box...

psmart
psmart
I name my boxes as well. I just didn't want to type the names in.

Box #1 is actually "10 - Dark Horse" and then the description is Star Wars ==> X

I really try to be as organized as possible although my basement is a cluster. wink
11/13/2016
Topic:
Comic runs spread between boxes... HELP!

psmart
psmart
THANK YOU!!
11/13/2016
Topic:
MY recent post history...

psmart
psmart
I'm curious how to get a history of MOST of my recent posts. When viewing the forum there is a "Recent Posts" link in the section's title bar, but that link takes me to ALL of the recent posts. When I search for psmart and uncheck the "search only subject" check box, I only see 5 posts.

I thought there would be a history in the "my profile" section, but I don't see that. "my profile" refers to my account versus forum posts.

Most forum sites has a search for MY recent posts or something close. I don't really remember which section I've posted things under and when I want to check for replies it would be nice to either have a history or search for more than 5 posts.

THANKS!
11/13/2016
Topic:
Report only ONE missing variant at a time?

psmart
psmart
Does this expand if my "rating" goes up? Or will I only still be limited to only posting ONE missing variant at a time?

I figured you guys tracked the published date on the original so I didn't mark down the publish date on the variants. But in the future I will note the date (which I've been doing for missing titles and issues).

I'm surprised I have SO many that are not in the database, or maybe I just can't find them. I've only SCRATCHED the surface of my independents collection so I want to make sure I can submit issues fairly easily. The 10 issue/title quota seems quite small for somebody who is willing to take the time to help.

I guess this is several "issues" in one post.
11/14/2016
Topic:
Help Us Feed the CPG Megacomputer

psmart
psmart
When I have the time I'll blog about my current process. The first 65 boxes or so the database had pretty much everything I owned and I thought it continue to be an easy process. Now I'm working on my Indy boxes and I'm finding (or not finding) titles, issues, even publishers that are not in the database. Granted, I was COMPLETELY surprised and also gratified that I have kept some unique issues. I'm hoping the process gets easier. I know I posted something about making this process easier, but I can't find it. So I figure I would blog about it on my own site so I can at least go back and find what I've written. So far I REALLY like this site and have worked around the weird process of submitting new titles or issues. Seems like a LOT of work for you.

I know if I were in your shoes I would write a post scraper that would at the very least dump the data into the database in some sort of pending state. I HOPE that you're not hand entering or copying and pasting the forum posts. If there is a mechanism to create entries in a pending state that I could use then I'd be happy to enter it. I've got to enter it into my spreadsheet anyway for later submission.
11/14/2016
Topic:
Report only ONE missing variant at a time?

psmart
psmart
Sure. I don't know how much time I could devote, but if I could at the very least get the comics I own into your database that would certainly make my wife happy. I'm hoping once I'm done a collector or store will buy MOST of my collection if not all. I'm coming up on 50 in January and this is getting to be quite a bit of work.

I wasn't sure what to do with the "racey" covers since all of your censoring seems to be pretty uniform and I'm assuming an administrator did it.
12/17/2016
Topic:
Wrap around cover thumbnails...

psmart
psmart
The Pandora Special #1 has a wrap around cover. This is the first time I've seen a scan like this uploaded. (Mainly because I didn't think it was allowed).

The thumbnail is centered and clips the left and right sides of the image which give a deceiving picture. If a thumbnail has that wrap around aspect ratio then the image should be flush right so as the left side is clipped. That way the front cover is showing in the thumbnail and I can verify the cover and move on without having to click on it. The zoom in picture is fine as it shows the entire scanned image.

Maybe this is why nobody uploads a wrap around cover? Most likely nobody wants to flatten out their issue on the scanner.

This site has been around since 1997? Nobody has ever fixed this? (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen this.)

OR? If this can't be done, then maybe just clip the image? I just want to be able to match covers quickly versus view the entire cover.
12/18/2016
Topic:
How can I view the Queue?

psmart
psmart
Is there a way I can view this mysterious Q of items that are being worked on? Granted, I'm sure the current issues take priority. But I'd really like to see the things that I've submitted. Both the ones that have been accepted and those still waiting and where they are in the Q. YES! That's probably a schema change, BUT it's probably something that should be in this system. Maybe it's already there, then it's NOT obvious on how to see that.

I've added Monte Moore as an artist when I joined (a few months ago) so I could add him to the comics I published and he's STILL in the Q.

How many items are in this Q? And is there a way I can see this priority or possible advancement? It seems like I should be able to see ALL of the pending Q items I've submitted.

My motivation for helping out decreases when I don't see progress on the items that I've submitted. I just feel this entire process is broken from the whole "you gotta post your missing comic in the forum" to adding updates or suggestions to this Q.
1/1/2017
Topic:
How can I view the Queue?

psmart
psmart
I'm glad people are taking a look at these. I really should compile a whole list of features that I would like to see. If the code was shared out on GitHub.com then I could add them myself. smile I'm REALLY surprised that this kind of stuff isn't already implemented. I think it's time to stage a revolution!!
1/1/2017
Topic:
A List of Features We'd Like to See at CPG...

psmart
psmart
I'm relatively new to this site and to date I've entered close to 19,000 comics into my small section of this database. I try to help with a cover price, artist, or publish date here and there but my primary focus is to get ALL my comics into the database to sell. When a variant is missing then I have to track that SEPARATELY in my own spreadsheet, because as of 11/13/2016 the 10 titles/variants are still in the forum to be processed... and I SHOULDN'T post any more.

I've made suggestions about the process of entering missing comics because I feel that process is totally broken. I've also made other suggestions and have been compiling a mental list of features that I'd like to see on this site. I've gotten some good responses and some non-responses.

I write software for a living and would LOVE to help when I have the time or get paid for my efforts if there is a full-time gig here.

Maybe there is a way to use this forum or a post to track these missing features and prioritize them (like a sticky post which has the features prioritized at the top of the topic and then other posts chiming in for features).

So far I'm EXTREMELY happy with the site. I have 217 comics that are not being tracked in the site so having 1.14% missing from the database isn't bad. I actually thought it would be higher now that I'm entering all of my independents.

I will probably post a blog about how I track these AND get that row into a form that I can POST into the missing comics forum. If somebody really wants to know, then I will probably blog about it sooner and provide my spreadsheet that tracks these.

Take care and let's make 2017 Comictacular (I just wanted to have some lame byline)
Parker.
www.SpilledMillk.com
www.ParkerSmart.com
1/1/2017
Topic:
Ruk's list-Who has the best collection

psmart
psmart
I've entered close to half of my collection. Not yet half I don't think... I only get about 10 a week these days, maybe less.

http://comicspriceguide.com/cpg-member/psmart

Total: 18,769 ($81,009.00)

So that puts me 4th on this list?
edited by psmart on 1/1/2017
1/1/2017
Topic:
Post Pictures of Your Comic Room!

psmart
psmart
The back wall of my basement. Not a very accessible "room" but at least it's some SPACE.

Doodled some sketches of comic covers on some of the boxes. It's something to do while watching TV...
4/8/2017
Topic:
MY recent post history...

psmart
psmart
Any luck on this? Still trying to search the "updates to the database" forum and all I get back are my other posts... Like this one.
4/9/2017
Topic:
Website down?

psmart
psmart
I was trying to get to the site around 8:45am Mountain TZ DST this morning and the site was "not found" in chrome. I pinged the domain and it had a response, but the site was down. Anybody else see this issue? If the site was down for maintenance you'd think I'd see a web page stating that and when it would be back up.
4/18/2017
Topic:
Ruk's list-Who has the best collection

psmart
psmart
I try to enter a few boxes each week... What slows me down are all of the comics that are NOT in the database that I have to log separately in a spreadsheet and try to get those into the system through a very old and broken process.

• Issues: 21,137
  • Value: $90,296.95

It's just "psmart" (Parker Smart) not PSMart like KMart or WalMart. I guess my friends would agree with you that my basement LOOKS like a "Mart".

THANKS!
4/18/2017
Topic:
Finally! My comic to be published by IDW!

psmart
psmart
CONGRATS!! Still working on screenplay here...
4/18/2017
Topic:
A Million Comics !

psmart
psmart
YAY! Anybody working on a NEW process to make that easier?

Just put all your code in GitHub and I'd be HAPPY to make the additions!!