A List of Features We'd Like to See at CPG... Messages in this topic - RSS

psmart
psmart

1/1/2017

psmart
psmart
I'm relatively new to this site and to date I've entered close to 19,000 comics into my small section of this database. I try to help with a cover price, artist, or publish date here and there but my primary focus is to get ALL my comics into the database to sell. When a variant is missing then I have to track that SEPARATELY in my own spreadsheet, because as of 11/13/2016 the 10 titles/variants are still in the forum to be processed... and I SHOULDN'T post any more.

I've made suggestions about the process of entering missing comics because I feel that process is totally broken. I've also made other suggestions and have been compiling a mental list of features that I'd like to see on this site. I've gotten some good responses and some non-responses.

I write software for a living and would LOVE to help when I have the time or get paid for my efforts if there is a full-time gig here.

Maybe there is a way to use this forum or a post to track these missing features and prioritize them (like a sticky post which has the features prioritized at the top of the topic and then other posts chiming in for features).

So far I'm EXTREMELY happy with the site. I have 217 comics that are not being tracked in the site so having 1.14% missing from the database isn't bad. I actually thought it would be higher now that I'm entering all of my independents.

I will probably post a blog about how I track these AND get that row into a form that I can POST into the missing comics forum. If somebody really wants to know, then I will probably blog about it sooner and provide my spreadsheet that tracks these.

Take care and let's make 2017 Comictacular (I just wanted to have some lame byline)
Parker.
www.SpilledMillk.com
www.ParkerSmart.com
+1 link
adampasz
adampasz

1/2/2017

adampasz
adampasz
I'm new to the site as well, and I did pay for a gold subscription. I checked out a lot of the competitors, but this site seemed to offer the best set of features overall, and to have a decent-sized community.

At this point, I only have one feature request, and it should be an easy one...
Please remove the "New CPG Announcements" banner at the top of the page. It takes about 1/3 of the page real estate on my laptop, and it's even worse on mobile devices. It would be nice not to have to scroll every time I load a new page. At least give me the option to suppress the announcement after I've read it.
+2 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

1/3/2017

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Ha, yeah, that's been up there a bit too long. I'll nix it today.

I wholly endorse this thread as we're in the middle of a complex rebuild and will be making a ton of user requested quality of life changes
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

1/3/2017

Robbie
Robbie
Hi netstuffers,
Since you asked... assuming you want the forum portion to grow...
Let "flag" (or whatever) other users when we post, and let us see a list of posts we've been flagged to.
+1 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/4/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Like to see a selection of Avatar pictures come back.
Seeing quite a few members with no avatar pic.
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

1/4/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
Gilgandra wrote:

I'm lazy and I also like the option of having no picture. Wiggle
+1 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

1/6/2017

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Gilgandra wrote:

Yeah, we've never been able to get people to do avatars regularly for whatever reason. :/

y'all are shy Cool
0 link
adampasz
adampasz

1/9/2017

adampasz
adampasz
Netstuffers, thanks for removing the alert box. Question: Is there a way for me to review posts the I wrote in these forums? I looked but did not see an obvious way to do this. Also, is there a way to know when someone responds to a post from me?
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

1/9/2017

Robbie
Robbie
adampasz wrote:
Netstuffers, thanks for removing the alert box. Question: Is there a way for me to review posts the I wrote in these forums? I looked but did not see an obvious way to do this. Also, is there a way to know when someone responds to a post from me?

http://comicspriceguide.com/forum/viewpostsbyuser.aspx?UserID=71001

Looks like you can click on your name to get to your profile.
Then click on the number of posts (the number is a link, weird, huh?)
and there's the list of posts.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

1/10/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
A JavaScript free site. Java is handy but so freaking cludgey. Also a fairly secure site with no spammers or back doors into the system to allow hackers to infuse the site with redirects and pop-up ads.
0 link
jarhead_84
jarhead_84

1/10/2017

jarhead_84
jarhead_84
The one option I would like to see is a link from one volume to the next in order, like, say, the Punisher series. There are so many volumes that it gets difficult to organize them in boxes or on shelves, however one stores them. Just a thought!

Ben
0 link
adampasz
adampasz

1/10/2017

adampasz
adampasz
Robbie wrote:

Looks like you can click on your name to get to your profile.
Then click on the number of posts (the number is a link, weird, huh?)
and there's the list of posts.

Nice. Looks like you can bookmark it too.
http://comicspriceguide.com/forum/viewpostsbyuser.aspx?UserID=[YOUR_USER_ID]
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

1/12/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Another idea would be to scrap those horrible emoticons we currently have & bring back the basic ones we had before. Was much easier to express ones thoughts on a matter...smile
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

1/12/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
netstuffers wrote:
Ha, yeah, that's been up there a bit too long. I'll nix it today.

I wholly endorse this thread as we're in the middle of a complex rebuild and will be making a ton of user requested quality of life changes

Net

Great to hear about the revamp. My three cents worth
1) Several folks have mentioned they would like to export all inventory to one file. That would be near top of list.
2) An Import feature would be most useful as well - then I could add my stuff in spreadsheet and just import. An alternative would be to add in batches of one title rather that one at a time. I think that feature was available at one time.
3) When I add pictures in the forum I need to post on another website like photo bucket and link them. Any through to being able to cut and paste picture in forum. I know this requires more memory space for you, but the slow load kills my forum to add cover scans.
4) Please - the forums need option to display the last post at top of page. I'm a busy guy, time to page through forum threads just takes too long.

Thanks - looking forward to update.

KDS
+3 link

1/20/2017

After a work related hiatus from the site, I'm back and I'm excited to see this topic come up and get the attention it deserves.

I've always had ideas brewing for the site and I hope to see them implemented in some fashion or another. It's also nice to see some of the ideas the other members are bringing up in this thread for sellers. My main reason for joining back in 2006 was to look up values to base my ebay listings on. I didn't expect to find such a welcoming and friendly community of comic fans.

I enjoy this site very much but as so many people are on mobile devices these days I went looking for an app to do my cataloging and want list management my main idea (sorry it took so long to get to this part) is to make the data compatible with other mobile services or to have an easier way to interface the two. I found that the CLZ app has great cloud back-up and a very easy UI for adding issues and want lists. I still find the occasional missing issue but they are very on top of updating it usually I find the issue I'm looking for within the next visit or two. It would be awesome if I could simply drag and drop my collection from CPG to CLZ and Vice Versa.

Since I don't take my laptop with me to the comic store and trying to load the CPG site on my phone in the LCS takes up so much time. (Waiting for ads and banners to load.) Loading and scrolling through my collection is more of a hassle even when using the mobile settings on my device.

Also a little personal pet peeve of mine with the CPG boxes, when viewing the boxes the comics shown are in a seemingly random order trying to manage my boxes that have issues for sale is kind of a pain to do.

If I think of anything else I'll check back here now that finding my posts has been addressed. I have a wordpad doc. somewhere with my list of ideas so I'm off to begin a digital scavenger hunt.....

Happy Reading all!!!
0 link
expander
expander

1/20/2017

expander
expander
I don't know why it says guest but this is my post. upset

After a work related hiatus from the site, I'm back and I'm excited to see this topic come up and get the attention it deserves.

I've always had ideas brewing for the site and I hope to see
them implemented in some fashion or another. It's also nice to see some
of the ideas the other members are bringing up in this thread for
sellers. My main reason for joining back in 2006 was to look up values
to base my ebay listings on. I didn't expect to find such a welcoming
and friendly community of comic fans.

I enjoy this site
very much but as so many people are on mobile devices these days I went
looking for an app to do my cataloging and want list management my main
idea (sorry it took so long to get to this part) is to make the data
compatible with other mobile services or to have an easier way to
interface the two. I found that the CLZ app has great cloud back-up and a
very easy UI for adding issues and want lists. I still find the
occasional missing issue but they are very on top of updating it usually
I find the issue I'm looking for within the next visit or two. It would
be awesome if I could simply drag and drop my collection from CPG to
CLZ and Vice Versa.

Since I don't take my laptop with me
to the comic store and trying to load the CPG site on my phone in the
LCS takes up so much time. (Waiting for ads and banners to load.)
Loading and scrolling through my collection is more of a hassle even
when using the mobile settings on my device.

Also a
little personal pet peeve of mine with the CPG boxes, when viewing the
boxes the comics shown are in a seemingly random order trying to manage
my boxes that have issues for sale is kind of a pain to do.

If I
think of anything else I'll check back here now that finding my posts
has been addressed. I have a wordpad doc. somewhere with my list of
ideas so I'm off to begin a digital scavenger hunt.....

Happy Reading all!!!
0 link
expander
expander

1/23/2017

expander
expander
I also have a hard time viewing other members collections when invited to do so. their collection will show 800 or so comics in their collection for marvel but when I click on the marvel link it shows two titles, then if i click on one of the letters above that I get redirected to this page:

http://comicspriceguide.com/my-collection/controls/#

Which displays the following:

Sorry, you have found a page that does not exist. Please return to the homepage or help us out and Report how you got here.

When I click on the "report how you got here" link it just takes me to the "about us" page.

navigating the "guide part of the site has always had a few bugs and glitches but I guess my main point is that this site is supposed to be a price guide first and foremost (at least given it's name) shouldn't the guide be the best part?

I hope I don't come off as too condescending here but that's just my opinion.
+1 link
Robbie
Robbie

1/24/2017

Robbie
Robbie
Hi expander,
I thought your suggestions seemed sensible. I guess for some, that's the same as condescending smile
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

1/25/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
expander wrote:
I also have a hard time viewing other members collections when invited to do so. their collection will show 800 or so comics in their collection for marvel but when I click on the marvel link it shows two titles, then if i click on one of the letters above that I get redirected to this page:

http://comicspriceguide.com/my-collection/controls/#

Which displays the following:

Sorry, you have found a page that does not exist. Please return to the homepage or help us out and Report how you got here.

When I click on the "report how you got here" link it just takes me to the "about us" page.

navigating the "guide part of the site has always had a few bugs and glitches but I guess my main point is that this site is supposed to be a price guide first and foremost (at least given it's name) shouldn't the guide be the best part?

I hope I don't come off as too condescending here but that's just my opinion.

This happens to me as well. Often. Like the java script gets a bad re-direction or something (wild guess here).
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

1/25/2017

Robbie
Robbie
When I make a post, it takes me back to the top of the first page of the thread. That only makes sense if you're trying to discourage multi-page threads.
0 link