Marvel is the best!: 35
NO way dc is the greatest!: 8

Marvel VS DC! Messages in this topic - RSS

Minimilk
Minimilk

1/21/2019

Minimilk
Minimilk
Which brand do you think is better? Vote!
0 link
ladybug5753iey
ladybug5753iey

2/16/2019

ladybug5753iey
ladybug5753iey
Marvel all the way!
0 link
hearse101011
hearse101011

2/6/2020

hearse101011
hearse101011
Marvel 100%

People that are heroes will be infinitely more entertaining to me than Heroes who pretend not to be.

Superman pretends to be Clark Kent
Batman pretends to be Bruce Wayne
Wonder Woman tries to be Diana

Peter Parker tries his best to do good.
Steve Rogers must uphold his moral code no matter what.
Tony Stark is selfish.

The last three are much easier to find parts of yourself in. (I know I am very guilty of over simplifying)
edited by hearse101011 on 2/6/2020
+1 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

2/6/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
DC!
0 link
solarno
solarno

2/6/2020

solarno
solarno
I struggle with this. When it comes to comics I really want to like Marvel characters. I think it's their humanity that draws me to them, but outside of Cap, rarely do they keep my interest for long. I felt terrible when I recently dropped Cap after issue 18 of the current run, like I betrayed Steve. Over my 35 years of reading/collecting I've tried considerably more Marvel titles than DC ones, but I find that the characters I have the longest runs with tend to be DC. Yet I'm not sure I could tell you definitively why that is.

Now with the movies, give me Marvel over DC. All. Day. Long.

Go figure.
+1 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/7/2020

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
DC
0 link
Imcubillo
Imcubillo

2/7/2020

Imcubillo
Imcubillo
Based on the stats from my collection i have a ratio of about 5-1 in favor of marvel. I try to make a point to branch out and try DC stuff and at times it feels daunting since i have not followed the history of the characters as closely as marvel. I will say there are some great things coming out of DC which i would Marvel would consider for their own label:

- Now dead but Vertigo always produced great mature content that did not fall into the superhero realm
- DC Black Label produces some awesome stories and the format of the books is great and very high quality in my opinion
- DC is doing it the right way, when we have a 80-100 page book, lets get a square bound spine - I hate that Marvel still uses a regular spine on these giant books and keeping a nice copy together is a pain in the butt

I also think that historically DC has had much better self contained graphic novel stories than marvel as i can think of so many iconic graphic novels from DC and not as many from Marvel = Watchmen, Dark Knight, Killing Joke, Red Son....
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

2/9/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
I only care about Marvel characters, but all modern comics suck. For that reason, I'm not picking a favorite.
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

2/9/2020

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Defiant1 wrote:
I only care about Marvel characters, but all modern comics suck. For that reason, I'm not picking a favorite.

Way to live up to your name! rock on
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

2/9/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
rixmaxx wrote:
Defiant1 wrote:

Way to live up to your name! rock on

I've quit collecting comics. So, yes. You are probably correct.

I've stood on my soapbox and described precisely what I don't like about modern comics and

what types of expectations I have as a consumer. I've challenged people in the industry to make a product that appeals to me.

Creators nod and understand, but they go back and make the exact same comics I detest.

It's not like I woke up one day and decided I didn't like modern comics.

The industry changed and the knowledge of the ages on how to make comics fun, engaging, thought provoking, and interesting is being lost.

I was attending local comic shows and the back issues I want to collect were appearing less and less. The condition of the stuff they did have was in lower grade than ever. The prices are higher than ever.

Finally a dealer confessed that he can't restock on the types of stuff I ask for. He says the market has dried up on supply and he just can't get the stuff anymore.

For that reason, I quit collecting entirely.

I have probably comics 10,000 including Amazing Fantasy #15, FF #1, Hulk #1, X-Men #1 (2 copies), Strange Tales #110 (3 copies), Hulk #181 (2 copies).

I'm not getting rid of anything people want because I don't need the money and I still like the comics.

I could sell off the junk I don't care about, but it isn't worth my time. I can make all the overtime I want at work and selling comics doesn't earn me money at the same hourly overtime rate.

Modern comics are essentially a money pit unless you spend hours monitoring price fluctuations and capitalize on a steady flow of quick flips. I still make more money at my regular job.

For the sake of reading, I have thousands of old comics I have never read. I bought them in bulk for about a dime a piece when stores were closing left and right in the 90's. I get more enjoyment reading a 10 cent comic with more story content than a $4 or $6 modern comic.

I attempted to stay connected to the hobby by researching old comics and making online cover galleries. Published historians know about my discoveries and we've shared info in the past. I just scanned a piece of original art I own and donated some of my research information to an upcoming fanzine. I've asked the publisher to not give me credit, but they will likely do so anyway.

I've decided to quit all that also. The web is changing and free web hosts have been randomly deleting my sites because I don't convert to their pay model and let them up-sell me to something I don't need. I'm donating content to their site, so I feel that gives their domain relevance where it had none. I'm not going to pay for hosting. I was already giving away my time on the research.

I guess the real question is... why am I here? Because my comics still have value and this site is a price guide. It's no different than buying stock and checking the newspaper periodically to see how it's doing.

Take care...

Defiant1
+1 link
tarn kronos
tarn kronos

2/22/2020

tarn kronos
tarn kronos
MARVEL ALL THE WAY! NOT disney
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

3/5/2020

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
DC.
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

3/10/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
DC
0 link
WaveWarrior
WaveWarrior

3/10/2020

WaveWarrior
WaveWarrior
My two cents ...

DC = Comics, Animated Movies, Video Games, Movie Soundtracks, Themed Songs/Melodies, and TV shows

Marvel = Comics and Movies

Spektor19

4/23/2020

Spektor19
Spektor19
anyone want marvel or dc comic message me
0 link
stephanm
stephanm

12/3/2020

stephanm
stephanm
Marvel or DC... hmmm...

At first glance (and probably second), Marvel.
Just looking at my collection, almost 6000 Marvels, and a little over 2000 DCs ... seems obvious ...

And my first and ongoing love are Silver Age Marvels. Although I wasn't around to read them when they were new, the Marvels being published in my native Germany in the 1970s were mostly reprints of the 60s books.
Nothing will ever beat my youthful excitement over the Galactus saga, or the Vision's first appearance, or Pharao Rama-Tut, who became Kang, or the young X-Men in the Danger Room, or those Spider-Man issues by Ditko then Romita (although I read them the other way round, because when I started collecting, there were the Romita issues, and only afterwards I got the back issues). A bit later, actually in a fanzine, I first saw Buscema's Conan (OK, Bronze Age now...) from the Savage Sword mags (and later Barry Smith, in a way-too-small paperback edition, but wonderful nonetheless).

But in later decades it becomes less clear cut. I think the 70s still belong to Marvel, with the aforementioned Conans, and the "cosmic" books, usually by Jim Starlin etc.

But DC was really catching up, not least through Neal Adam's stunning Batman books, and other masterpieces (OK, he started in the Silver Age, but I'd count him as the master of the early Bronze Age). The Englehart/Marshall Rogers Detective Comics run was also a highlight.

Early 80s clearly belong to Marvel, with John Byrne towering over everything (chiefly his X-Men run of course, but pretty much everything else, too), Miller's Daredevil run, Simonson's Thor.

But then things changed. First Byrne and Miller switched to DC. Of the big events, I liked Crisis much more than Secret Wars (probably because of George Perez)

And then, crucially, the British writers at DC/Vertigo created, to my mind, the best (kind of...) superhero comics of all time. As I read them in my late teens, early twenties, they might not have created the childlike excitement of the Silver Age Marvels, but the quality of writing was beyond anything seen before.
Moore's Swamp Thing run! Then, of course, Watchmen, towering over everything before or since. Gaiman's astounding Sandman. To a lesser degree, Morrison's Doom Patrol. I think Marvel had nothing remotely comparable (the Macfarlane Spider-Man run, some decent Epic stuff etc., but not the regular high quality of the Karen Berger era at DC/Vertigo).
So second half 80s and early 90s, I'd give to DC.

Afterwards I stopped reading regularly, but from what I have read (usually digitally -- since comics paper became more glossy, I feel like I might just as well read them on my iPad. I loved the pulpy paper of old...), the two publishers have become pretty indistinguishable in quality (which is generally very high, arguably higher than in my favorite eras, but lacking that sense of wonder...)
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

12/3/2020

glorkar
glorkar
Such a tough call. Growing up in the 80's and 90's I fell in love with the X-Men. So many characters that just seemed cool.
I dropped out of the hobby for a couple of decades.
Now I'm back in and I'm really enjoying DC, Batman and Detective Comics especially.
Don't get me wrong, I've got a couple of Marvel titles that I'm following as well (Black Widow and Strange Academy). But looking at the X-Men books now, there's just something about the art and layout that doesn't appeal to me.

Ugh. If I had to pick one, right now, today, I'd have to go with DC for comics.
0 link
fdaz89
fdaz89

12/9/2020

fdaz89
fdaz89
Defiant1, while I agree with many of your points, I do not agree 100% with your conclusion that all modern comics suck. While much of it can be considered drivel, there are many high quality books still being put out. I started collected near the start of the Bronze age, with one of my first purchases being Star Wars No.1. I was big into Marvel, mainly Spider-Man, but they were all great back then; Hulk, Avengers, Nova, Ms. Marvel, FF, Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel and Warlock runs and so on. It's a different landscape these days and I'm fine with that. While I still enjoy Spider-Man, the non-superhero stuff companies like Image, Aftershock, Dynamite, etc. are publishing are much more fulfilling. They may not be great investments, but I'm reading what I enjoy, which is what its supposed to be about.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

12/9/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
fdaz89 wrote:
Defiant1, while I agree with many of your points, I do not agree 100% with your conclusion that all modern comics suck. While much of it can be considered drivel, there are many high quality books still being put out. I started collected near the start of the Bronze age, with one of my first purchases being Star Wars No.1. I was big into Marvel, mainly Spider-Man, but they were all great back then; Hulk, Avengers, Nova, Ms. Marvel, FF, Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel and Warlock runs and so on. It's a different landscape these days and I'm fine with that. While I still enjoy Spider-Man, the non-superhero stuff companies like Image, Aftershock, Dynamite, etc. are publishing are much more fulfilling. They may not be great investments, but I'm reading what I enjoy, which is what its supposed to be about.

Here lies the primary difference. I have skimmed over modern comics and I find none of it to be entertaining. I could list hundreds of shortcomings by breaking down inadequacies at every stage of the process.

I'm honestly glad people enjoy the product. It would be a lot of wasted time and effort if someone didn't.

I do arrogantly believe that if I enjoyed the product, there would be a LARGE number of consumers who would also enjoy the comics. I believe comics would be selling better.

If comics were selling better, the cost to produce each unit would be cheaper and the publishers could drop the price to something more reasonable. Lower price point for their product would increase the odds that even more consumers would be willing to allocate their disposable income on buying the product.

I'm a quality inspector for a living. I inspect the parts that our suppliers deliver. I have a reputation for being picky and finding flaws that other don't see. Some of those flaws relate to safety. Lives can depend upon whether I find something wrong with a product. The chances that I'm going to find a flaw, an inadequacy, a shortcoming, and NOT say something is almost zero. I even point out my own flaws and tell people they aren't acceptable. What people fail to see is that by observing the flaws or shortcomings of a product, it also reveals opportunities to improve the product and make it better for everyone... to make it more popular... and as a byproduct make it more affordable.

I have a reputation online for being negative, but that's because I see the potential for greatness being wasted and mired in a quicksand of mediocrity. A mediocrity that is killing the industry. One of the longest surviving comic shops in my areas closed very recently. The pandemic killed it. If their cash flow was better... if their back issue selection was better... if their product was better, I believe they could have survived a few months of lost sales. That is not the perspective of a negative person. People online can believe what they want to believe, but anyone who knows me in person has the complete opposite opinion.
0 link
fdaz89
fdaz89

12/10/2020

fdaz89
fdaz89
Defiant1, I agree with you 100% (about your assessment of the comics industry, not about you being a negative person). Having corporations like Disney own so much of it doesn't help. One thing I noticed is that all the ads are missing in comics, reading the ads added to the appeal of comics for me in my youth. Ad revenue would (or should) lower the price of comics, but so would going back to newsprint. Making superstars out of people who couldn't tell a story (like Rob Liefeld), I think negatively affected the hobby. I think the speculation market doesn't help, either. All the things that provide a barrier to new people from picking up the collecting bug should be examined and eliminated where possible.
0 link