Whoa....?! That's a CGC 9.8 ?? Messages in this topic - RSS

rgtichy
rgtichy

3/13/2021

rgtichy
rgtichy
https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-eternals-1-marvel-1976-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122111-15197.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Now, I am assuming that the auction items match perfectly to the images at ha.com, but I looked closely at the high-res image for this Eternals #1 and I have to say I am unimpressed with the 9.8 grade on this.

I happen to have an Eternals #1 and was inspecting mine in the past week to see what I thought its grade might be.

I consider mine to be at least as good on the front as this 9.8, and I was thinking CPG's pressing/cleaning service might get me a 9.4 or a 9.6 if I sent it in after that.

I've seen others of this book that appear to have better light blue. (In digital images, admittedly.)

I've seen others of this book with better spines, for sure.

Best personal note of all, I had that Monogram model, "California Street 'Vette" on the back! With the 454 V8 and the razorback features all over it! Tacky!
0 link
5fiddy
5fiddy

4/4/2021

5fiddy
5fiddy
What are you seeing exactly that you think makes this less than a 9.8?
0 link

4/4/2021

If you make a profile at ha.com and sign-in, they'll let you view a high-res image and zoom in quite tight.
  • The spine looks a little more worn that I expected for a 9.8 rating
  • The spine roll is evident by the pages extending beyond the cover on the bottom right.

To my mind, a 10.0 Gem Mint means the perfect manufacturing with absolutely no handling, and a 9.8 should be basically no evidence of handling or wear but the book was not absolutely perfect to begin with. If this were a 9.6, I'd totally get it. 9.6 Near Mint is very appropriate for the item, but 9.8 Near Mint + is a step too far.... for me. I'm not a expert grader, but I think making judgments about the absolute top end of perfect is much easier than grading below 9.0 .

This is an aspect of grading though that could be entirely based on CGC's graded population, and the order in which they were graded. IF this were the best book CGC had ever seen for Eternals 1 at the time they graded it ...
0 link