CaptGrelden

all messages by user

11/4/2016
Topic:
Deadpool the circle chase

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Benevolent wrote:
Also I imagine the first of the signing would garner more money.

I think the person that sold them to you was counting on that, also. Good luck, some would say 'pics or it didn't happen' .

Does the COA include a name like "Signed, the guy who totally witnessed this for me" ?

In seriousness: Sometimes artists would sign exclusive batches for a pal or dealer, and you may have 1/2500 of THAT batch, not just of 2500 world wide. I went to Powercon in FL (92/3?), and someone wanted Romita Jr and Sr to sign some books with his pen, they told him they had to sign with theirs, because they had contract to sign with that color ( silver ) for a specific dealer, and they could not use his gold one either, that was for a specific distributor. He had to settle for black sharpie and not metallic ink for that reason. Its not to say its not 1/2500, it could be 1/25,000 in the scheme of things.

This is why "has a COA" can be misleading. Share some pics, I am surprised to see a total lack of images when users are asking questions about specific books on this forum ( new user myself, just saying ) :

"It has some marks, how much is it worth" (pic left out so they can say 'but I was TOLD it might be worth..')
11/4/2016
Topic:
Problems being redirected

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
I had this happen many times - one was telling me that as a Comcast customer I won a prize, the other was trying to force me to download a file that may or may not be Flash. Until I can find out how else to stop that, I'm needing to use an ad blocker, because yes, I too had a problem getting back to where I was.
11/6/2016
Topic:
Problems being redirected

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
For those who think it's our/your device or browser, I would agree IF it happened anywhere else as well. ANY second instance of such a thing happening I would immediately think that yeah, it's me and need to clean house.

But.. some of us have been doing the Intarweb thing for longer than a broadband connection has been available. When it happens only on one single site and we go to dozens or hundreds of sites a week/month? It's not me, it's you.
Not claiming site itself is hacked, but those shitty ads can be the blame - don't be too quick to blame us, and you probably want us to see those ads, yes? My having to block them means you can't get me to see them.

I feel the worst for those paying for Gold Membership and having this happen to them..
11/6/2016
Topic:
Deathblow #1 Gold Foil

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
I suggest that you:

Look at the indicia ( this is not always on first page, but it is usually on the page where you get the Title and writer/artist info -sometimes its the last page of the story but not last page of comic for example ) , and tell exactly what the titles shows as. Too many times that indicates something entirely different than shown on the cover. This way if its part of a series not the main one, it will be clearer. An Ashcan version will be indicated by that, and this can make ALL the difference in the world. Also, knowing the date helps when there have been more than one series by more than one company
11/6/2016
Topic:
Deathblow #1 Gold Foil

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
I suggest that you:

Look at the indicia ( this is not always on first page, but it is usually on the page where you get the Title and writer/artist info -sometimes its the last page of the story but not last page of comic for example ) , and tell exactly what the titles shows as. Too many times that indicates something entirely different than shown on the cover. This way if its part of a series not the main one, it will be clearer. An Ashcan version will be indicated by that, and this can make ALL the difference in the world. Also, knowing the date helps when there have been more than one series by more than one company
11/30/2016
Topic:
Help Us Feed the CPG Megacomputer

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
I hope this is appropriate for this thread..

In confirming cover prices for Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, I found that there was no Creator info , and since I had them at arms length I thought I would add it.

The question: Since this maxi-series is *based on* his novel, would Neil Gaiman also be appropriate to list as Author? In the book he is listed as "Consultant" and its noted "Based on the novel by" but these are not in the Dropdown haha

Thanks, its cool to be able to contribute in ANY way to the database, I remember how hard it was with first versions of CZ Comic Collector before the DB was really populated.
I have something else not listed at ALL, so am looking forward to adding it when I can ( find it )

Capt Grelden
11/30/2016
Topic:
JUST IMAGINE STAN LEE: CREATING SUPERMAN #1

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
http://comicspriceguide.com/collection/dc/just-imagine-stan-lee-creating-superman/1/pnxuix

Price was listed incorrectly:

06. COVER PRICE: 5.95

it was submitted as 5.99

Thanks!

Capt Grelden
12/4/2018
Topic:
Characters interacting with title on cover

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
One of my favorites after Thor 337 (i used to get any book just for having such interactive covers so have many of of the ones shown) , that I grabbed off the shelf

Batman Adventures #12, of course

Fun Fact! Harley Quinn's first word is Whore , when talking to Batgirl
7/22/2019
Topic:
question about submitting

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Hello

I have a title that is not listed, and I have a couple questions. Yes, I have read the READ THIS FIRST and am clarifying.

1) Its Psyco Duck by Bob Dixon, Pocket Change Comics. The first problem is that there is no indicia really, to confirm details. I have them in hand and can't find a date of publication on any of them. Two have 2nd Printing, thats the only place it or any information shows. Other than addresses to send checks to of course. This means I can't provide date detail - Is this OK and do I just need to explain this in the submission?

I do have good scans of the covers, its funny that in issue 4 its mentioned the possible future in regular sized comics - these are like ashcan size

fun fact: I was able to purchase the original art for the back cover of issue 4, a parody of X-O Manowar #1 cover. That and ads in the comics might help with dating them, or at least narrow down range

2) They are signed, because as the old joke goes the only rare/valuable book is one that Bob Dixon did not sign. Does that count as 'signed' not being accepted for submission? the scans have the signature so do I have to search for other cover images? good luck with that

Thanks! I appreciate any info, I want to help the right way if I am going to so I don't waste anyone's time

Capt Grelden

PS: How the #$(% is 'indicia' needing to be added to dictionary as if it's not a word when I typed it? odd..
7/23/2019
Topic:

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Thank you, I get that a self-published book may not be included

Thank you for the advice and direction, I will start there
7/25/2019
Topic:

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Defiant1 wrote:
I'm just curious if it's the same publisher that published this:

edited by Defiant1 on 7/24/2019[/quote

Yes, it is and that is listed at their publishers page here: https://comicspriceguide.com/publishers/pocket-change
10/28/2019
Topic:
Dollar Comics Batman 497

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
I'm not clear..

I see on 20 last panel he says "Instead, I will simply..." (raising him)

Then 21 at top he says ...BREAK YOU

hes dropped to knee,

with KRAKT at lower right to indicate "ouch" from said dropping to knee

What's out of line please? this is a first printing, the very first one listed: https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/batman/497/pjsxjt

oh crap forgot spoiler tag
10/29/2019
Topic:
Dollar Comics Batman 497

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
and I see I didnt read the topic clearly: "Dollar Comics "

sorry about that, and thank you for clarifying !

3/10/2020
Topic:
Shadow Riders Vol.1 by MCG 1993

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
This is a common issue and easily solved

See in the upper left, the logo? This is a book from the Marvel UK imprint, which means the default Country of US won't have it: You have to open the search or select the country specifically

https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/shadow-riders/riqv

Just change the country to All in the dropdown or specifically UK in this instance, and you will see the book you couldn't find.
10/1/2020
Topic:
E-Bay Is NOT A Price Guide!!!

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Counterpoint:

Your example specifically used a case of a single issue selling for outrageous price. Sometimes someone with money to burn will want to drop $50 on SuperPro 1 but since there will only be ONE example of that ever, we would see that it was an anomaly and the price is really about 30 cents. Movies and TV shows as pointed out can fan flames of Demand but thats a curve you can see as the price spikes and then goes away. The reason eBay is used as a guide is because its dynamic - it updates and trends are easily seen, without the need to have someone remember to update anything. We aren't waiting for an update, we can see months of sales ( completed ) and get an idea of approximate worth, based on Demand.

Bloodstone #1: https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/bloodstone/1/porpbt

eBay *Sold* results for Bloodstone #1: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bloodstone+1&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

That page alone goes back to early July. Raw, it seems the book averages 75-100 and graded 9.4 or higher a couple hundred or more.

I'm going to do myself a favor and *not* sell issues 1-4 for a total of less than $20 as a formal, reliable Guide suggests, because I know I can get at least 100 for them without trying as eBay easily shows.

What is the suggested alternative? Basing Value on the prices of the comics on the wall behind the register at our local comic shop? That's as stupid as comics with 20 variant covers to assure record sales
Of course a one-off sale can make people who don't know any better assume Value is increased - but when eBay shows a consistent trend because of what people are willing to pay, then yes it does become a Guide to Pricing, even if not a Price Guide
1/3/2021
Topic:
"Hot" Comics

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Taskmaster wrote:
I see what you have to go thru Defiant people are like sheep and don't want to care about anything but themselves and **** everybody else...WOW! on they THREATEN you like they are some sort of "Supreme Being"

People don't see the "Real" picture just what they want to and they will harp on that....WOW!

And this guy can't even put a name just "Guest" coward...And learn to spell correct (Maybe next time use your "Auto Correct")
edited by Taskmaster on 1/2/2021

I got logged out but please, be clear that "Guest" was me - and you are the rancid garbage that started a sentence with "here me out how come" , so don't attack my spelling.

That was me, I got logged out before it was posted, if I have to I will copy and post it again to make sure you are clear it is from me - are you clear Guest was me? Good

Thank you for your ranting and crying, you have an anger issue you need to properly direct, before you take it into the real world and get hurt

You are all over the place, and I didn't threaten you - your feeling threatened by the post says a lot though. It says everything I need to know about you

You see, there are a lot of us that have seen things happen to the comic market, and prices and even before the internet was a factor. If your ad wasn't printed on paper your store did not exist outside that neighborhood. We saw comics interest spike and wane, we saw speculation almost destroy the industry. It was die-cut and chromium covers, now it's 137 variant covers and homages because the content itself can't hold itself up. LOTS of different things good and bad. Some things you grumble about and move on. Almost ALL of them, in fact.

You need to pick something specific, and maybe take it to THEM:

GO ATTACK DIAMOND FOR THEIR DISTRIBUTION MODEL BECAUSE YOU MISSED THAT ONE COVER OF MY LITTLE PONY
GO ATTACK VALIANT FOR RUINING THE EXACTLY ONE UNIVERSE WHERE CONTINUITY MATTERED BECAUSE YOU CAN'T UNLOAD PSI-LORDS #1
GO ATTACK MARVEL AND DC FOR THEIR CONSTANT UNIVERSAL REBOOTS BECAUSE YOU CAN'T UNLOAD NEW UNIVERSAL TITLES
GO ATTACK MARVEL AND DC FOR BEING MARVEL AND DC BECAUSE YOU LEARNED THERE ARE INDEPENDENT TITLES
GO ATTACK CGC FOR THE SERVICES THEY PROVIDE AND THE ECONOMIC IMPACT ON YOUR EBAY BUSINESS A DECADE AFTER YOU SOLD THOSE CARDS UNGRADED
GO ATTACK ECONOMICS FOR SUPPLY AND DEMAND AND MARKETING
GO ATTACK HISTORY FOR FADS AND TRENDS

Just. Stop. Attacking. Here.

Look, man - we discuss things here. I have thrown my two cents in the whole Ebay Isn't A Price Guide discussion ( Spoiler: IT ISN'T ) and might have complained once too, about a trend I didn't like
ONCE

Stop before you are banned, and the only outlet you have is closed off to you. You need to stop complaining about free services, about how economics work, how people work, and about airplane food. We heard it all before, and at least once from you. Say it and move on before you hurt yourself, or get hurt.

Peace,
CaptGrelden

Not threatening you but letting you know you seriously do need your ass kicked, man
12/10/2021
Topic:
Clarification requested for Thundercats #1

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Hello

I have a copy of Thundercats #1 - https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/thundercats/rnyr

It should be the 2nd print, .75 and no UPC: https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/thundercats/1-2nd%20Print/pkvunqy

the clarification requested: the indicia does not indicate second printing , and in fact states for subscription that the price is .65 in US and .75 in Canada. It sucks if the indicia is wrong when we depend on it.

Fun Fact: A good example of wrong info in indica is the Jademan Comics title Drunken Fist. In the indicia it's called Drunken Kid #1.
I thought it might be a translation error, there is a character called Drunken Kid but shes a girl and isn't the primary character, as a friend of the boy who IS the main character but isn't named Drunken Fist. He inherited his fathers... Drunken Fist.. Someday maybe Wong Yuk-long will explain

Thank you

Edit: It;s not *apparently* Canadian - https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/thundercats/pkwpit Issue 1 with UPC - but can this be Canadian Direct Market? No UPC and the price as indicated in the indicia suggest this highly
edited by CaptGrelden on 12/10/2021
12/10/2021
Topic:
Clarification requested for Thundercats #1

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Thank you for directing me to that resource!

Issue Notes
Distributed in the United States as part of three packs of comics titled "Comics for Kids from Marvel Books." There is no second printing notation in the indicia. This variant is sometimes mistaken for a Canadian price variant.
9/18/2022
Topic:
Thor Love and Thunder

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
It's all in how you approach it

Remember when Thor rode off on Stormbreaker?

That's because it's what Korg imagined when Thor talked about missing Mjolnir and throwing it to travel. The comment about never skipping leg day has a similar part in that same battle

"Skate Mates for life!"

It's a story by Korg remember? That's why it was silly. It was like a mini-series between two really good runs
5/31/2023
Topic:
Surprise Contest

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Action Comics and now I see im not first haha