E-Bay Is NOT A Price Guide!!! Messages in this topic - RSS

taskmaster
taskmaster

9/25/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
Did I miss something or is E-Bay the Price Guide for everything in the world now?

Prices change ALL the time and people still tend to believe that such and such goes for $$$$

So if this is correct then let's say (Example) Spider-Man Issue 4X (Made up) is going for $50 TODAY with ONE copy but next week the price is now $10 so what's the TRUE price? With all of the crooked people that say $50 no...It's either $10 or about that area just because ONE person bough it at that price doesn't make it the price...I saw a $4 ungraded Common book go for $35 on E-Bay does that make it the price? No I'm so tired of all these "Hot" book or "Rare" book links and or auctions and either they never go (Finish) for that at the end of auction or people are just copying what they see and hope they catch a sucker I mean customer to buy it...

And if a price for a comic is displayed (Here or somewhere else) is it morally wrong to put like $50 for a raw ungraded book that is only worth $3?

This one needs clarification because why have a guide then if some people are making up their own prices...Whaaaaa?
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

9/25/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
There are always outliers when a book sells too high or low but the trends still bear out the "true" value of the book at that time in history. Ebay is the place where the most sales happen that can be observed and recorded. It makes sense that what a comic sells for at auction or buyitnow should be considered as the book's value. Especially when many copies sell every day or week in a similar condition for a similar price.
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

9/25/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
Mile High Comics is notorious for selling books at 1.5-2X "guide" price and they sell MILLIONS of dollars worth of books. It really comes down to "a book is worth what someone is willing to pay for it". For example, I (probably) overpaid for a golden age detective book but as that is the going price on ebay, that, in my opinion, is what it's worth. Guides like CPG and Overstreet are just guides; they are not the end all be all for pricing.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

9/25/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
BasementComics wrote:
Mile High Comics is notorious for selling books at 1.5-2X "guide" price and they sell MILLIONS of dollars worth of books. It really comes down to "a book is worth what someone is willing to pay for it". For example, I (probably) overpaid for a golden age detective book but as that is the going price on ebay, that, in my opinion, is what it's worth. Guides like CPG and Overstreet are just guides; they are not the end all be all for pricing.

Sorry your saying that if let's say this site has a book that is worth $3 everywhere else should be sold for $50 or more just because someone posted it on E-bay for that? Whaaaaa?

And if people are using Mile High's comic site to price their books they are crazy as well why do you think they are called "Mile High" Whaaaaa?
edited by Taskmaster on 9/25/2020
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

9/25/2020

glorkar
glorkar
When I'm looking at eBay and trying to figure out what a good price would be, I never look at listing price. There is a filter you can apply that shows sold/completed auctions. That is what people are actually paying. Sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes you over pay. All depends on how bad you want it.
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

9/25/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
glorkar wrote:
When I'm looking at eBay and trying to figure out what a good price would be, I never look at listing price. There is a filter you can apply that shows sold/completed auctions. That is what people are actually paying. Sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes you over pay. All depends on how bad you want it.

The hard thing for me to accept is when I see a comic sell for $100 on ebay I think damn I could have got that for $100 but the thing is that to win that auction you would have to top the $100 bid so you are going to have to pay $110. $120, maybe $150. So sure the comic sold for $100 and that is what it is worth because that is what someone paid for it but IF YOU WANT TO BUY IT YOU HAVE TO BEAT THAT BID!
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

9/25/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
rustyauger wrote:
glorkar wrote:

The hard thing for me to accept is when I see a comic sell for $100 on ebay I think damn I could have got that for $100 but the thing is that to win that auction you would have to top the $100 bid so you are going to have to pay $110. $120, maybe $150. So sure the comic sold for $100 and that is what it is worth because that is what someone paid for it but IF YOU WANT TO BUY IT YOU HAVE TO BEAT THAT BID!

I agree. Just because that's what some crazy sellers and retailers do doesn't mean I agree with them. I was watching an older Detective on ebay and it sat at about $300 for most of the time. It ended at over double that. Someone wanted it just that bad. In that condition per "price guides", it was not worth $600 but someone thought it was as that is what they paid. This goes to show that some price guides are not reflecting current market values.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

9/26/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I look at values every day for all kinds of books. There are big differences in values. I routinely see the same book in the same week in the same condition sell for double. It makes no sense but it happens all the time. There are things that we do to help with this.
1. We will throw out (ignore) a super high or super low outlier. Example prices 70,40,30,30,30,30,30,25,22,23 We would eliminate the 70. This kind of thing happens daily.
2. Averaging prices - one price is not enough to put a value on a book.
3. Using multiple sources - In an average week, I look at Heritage, Comiclink, Ebay, and our in-house sales

No guide is perfect and should be used as a guide and not a Bible.
+1 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

9/26/2020

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Ronbatman wrote:
I look at values every day for all kinds of books. There are big differences in values. I routinely see the same book in the same week in the same condition sell for double. It makes no sense but it happens all the time. There are things that we do to help with this.
1. We will throw out (ignore) a super high or super low outlier. Example prices 70,40,30,30,30,30,30,25,22,23 We would eliminate the 70. This kind of thing happens daily.
2. Averaging prices - one price is not enough to put a value on a book.
3. Using multiple sources - In an average week, I look at Heritage, Comiclink, Ebay, and our in-house sales

No guide is perfect and should be used as a guide and not a Bible.

EXACTLY Duhh and sometimes crazy people just gotta have that book.
+1 link
glorkar
glorkar

9/26/2020

glorkar
glorkar
It can definitely go the other way though.
I picked up a copy of Avengers #1 - John Romita Jr Gatefold Variant for $40. I've yet to get book in hand, but the pics make it look pretty darn perfect. According to cpg, even if it's an 8 it's valued at $150.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

9/27/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
So tell me this why do people have to sell ALL Of their books at FULL value or more???

You know how many comic shops I go to that have $1 or less bins and the books in those boxes are $3 or more and in great shape...Even I know you can't sell everything for FULL price...
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

9/27/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
People can list comics at whatever price they want. It is a free country. If they want to sell their comics they have to price them to sell.
Sure there will be people who overpay but generally the comics have to be priced right or they won't sell.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

9/27/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
rustyauger wrote:
People can list comics at whatever price they want. It is a free country. If they want to sell their comics they have to price them to sell.
Sure there will be people who overpay but generally the comics have to be priced right or they won't sell.

True but most people would rather get rid of them then be stuck with them.....
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

9/27/2020

glorkar
glorkar
Taskmaster wrote:
So tell me this why do people have to sell ALL Of their books at FULL value or more???

You know how many comic shops I go to that have $1 or less bins and the books in those boxes are $3 or more and in great shape...Even I know you can't sell everything for FULL price...

Agreed. And selling online adds more expense. You have to take into account packing and shipping costs. That's why a lot of current issues that are worth $5 are being sold for $9-$10. If you can't find it locally, you /have/ to pay a bit of a premium.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

9/27/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
glorkar wrote:
Taskmaster wrote:

Agreed. And selling online adds more expense. You have to take into account packing and shipping costs. That's why a lot of current issues that are worth $5 are being sold for $9-$10. If you can't find it locally, you /have/ to pay a bit of a premium.

Gee that's funny I've bought HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of books just HERE and they were reasonable priced...I've met some GREAT people but some people are just DELUSIONAL TRYING to sell $3 books for $95-100 Get the hell out of here...See People like those ruin the hobby because they have NO clue and are just in to make a quick buck and REALLY don't do their homework about the hobby..

So I should account for someone selling a book when they add in:

1.Time
2.Expense For Boxes
3.Gas
4.And any other added BS expenses...

Only 2 is viable I've sold plenty of books and made money but not this way..
edited by Taskmaster on 9/27/2020
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

9/27/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
I just don't get why you are so angry about it. The comic book market follows the same rules of capitalism as any other market. Why should comics be any different? Why do you feel there should be a code that protects our hobby from market forces. If they are priced too high they won't sell and if someone pays $100 for a $3 book they are stupid and deserve to get ripped off.

It's like when people get mad about Chuck Rozanski not giving Edgar Church's family enough money for the greatest comic score in history as if he owed it to them. It's capitalism people! It ain't pretty but it is the way it is.
+1 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

9/27/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
rustyauger wrote:
I just don't get why you are so angry about it. The comic book market follows the same rules of capitalism as any other market. Why should comics be any different? Why do you feel there should be a code that protects our hobby from market forces. If they are priced too high they won't sell and if someone pays $100 for a $3 book they are stupid and deserve to get ripped off.

It's like when people get mad about Chuck Rozanski not giving Edgar Church's family enough money for the greatest comic score in history as if he owed it to them. It's capitalism people! It ain't pretty but it is the way it is.

No I get tired of seeing a book I need and between the E-Bay people and some on sites like this jacking the price up to some crazy ass ammount.....Ask yourself this if you really need a COMMON comic book that goes for $1-2 you should have to pay $5 or more because of somebody jacking up the price on it? So that book is now worth $5 now? You don't get it MOST people sell the high end books for BIG dollars not common comics that a million were back and EXPECT FULL price

I've sold books that were between $1-7 for about $.50 to $2-3 that's how it works...And you mean to tell me that you pay FULL price for everything in the world? No nobody does if they do they have money to burn.....
edited by Taskmaster on 9/27/2020
0 link
glorkar
glorkar

9/27/2020

glorkar
glorkar
Is there a specific issue you're talking about? Chances are if it's a book that's being hyped up because of a movie or something, the price will fall back down after all the masses move on to the next new thing.
A perfect example of that is Incredible Hulk 258 because of the Black Widow movie. CPG puts it at about $3, but everything listed on eBay right now is $10-$30 for midgrade copies.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

9/27/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
glorkar wrote:
Is there a specific issue you're talking about? Chances are if it's a book that's being hyped up because of a movie or something, the price will fall back down after all the masses move on to the next new thing.
A perfect example of that is Incredible Hulk 258 because of the Black Widow movie. CPG puts it at about $3, but everything listed on eBay right now is $10-$30 for midgrade copies.

See why is that book going up??? What reason none of those characters except Red Guardian are in the film and his first appearance was in Avengers
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

9/27/2020

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Taskmaster wrote:
glorkar wrote:

See why is that book going up??? What reason none of those characters except Red Guardian are in the film and his first appearance was in Avengers

Because there is "major" smile speculation that Ursa Major might show up in the movie. Duhh
0 link