taskmaster
taskmaster

12/9/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
OK how is this done and or who finds out this info because certain books:

1.Never Heard of Them
2.Not REAL credible information for the price increase
3.Book that isn't even OUT yet is sold out and going for Big $$$ WTF?

It's just funny it seems like you can't buy a NEW book at cover when it comes out anymore...Whaaaaa?

Unreal....Whaaaaa?
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

12/9/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
Reminds me of Superman 75 - the Death of Superman. A buddy of mine bought 2 that day at cover and upon leaving his store (they totally sold out), sold one copy for $75 right outside the store. Insane.
edited by BasementComics on 12/9/2020
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

12/10/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
BasementComics wrote:
Reminds me of Superman 75 - the Death of Superman. A buddy of mine bought 2 that day at cover and upon leaving his store (they totally sold out), sold one copy for $75 right outside the store. Insane.
edited by BasementComics on 12/9/2020

Yes but at least we knew that was coming other books just are on printing 2 & 3 and most people never saw 1st printing (EX> Daredevil #25 Elektra becomes Daredevil) it's NOT out yet but it's "Sold Out" going for almost $50 right...Ok that wasn't "planned" Whaaaaa?
edited by Taskmaster on 12/10/2020
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

12/10/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
I like the "good ol' days" when collector's scorned a second printing like the plague. It was inferior. You missed the boat if you got a higher printing number. A publisher needed to make enough of the first printing to cover demand because the second printing would only sell to complete fools.
+1 link
fdaz89
fdaz89

12/11/2020

fdaz89
fdaz89
Defiant1, I am still risk averse to purchasing second printings because of the old perception that they are inferior.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

12/11/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
Defiant1 wrote:
I like the "good ol' days" when collector's scorned a second printing like the plague. It was inferior. You missed the boat if you got a higher printing number. A publisher needed to make enough of the first printing to cover demand because the second printing would only sell to complete fools.

Now, 2nd and 3rd printings are apparently pre-planned to boost sales without calling them variants. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all printed at the same time as the first printing.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

12/19/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
It's also funny that a series that is not worth anything doesn't show up and being for sale then when the series hits the roof then these books "Magically" appear.....Whaaaaa?Whaaaaa?

Yea what are the odds that this is a coincidence...Whaaaaa?Whaaaaa?Whaaaaa?Whaaaaa?
edited by Taskmaster on 12/19/2020
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

12/19/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
Taskmaster wrote:
It's also funny that a series that is not worth anything doesn't show up and being for sale then when the series hits the roof then these books "Magically" appear.....Whaaaaa?Whaaaaa?

Yea what are the odds that this is a coincidence...Whaaaaa?Whaaaaa?Whaaaaa?Whaaaaa?

That's pretty much true of anything. Once there's an opportunity to make a higher profit margin, sellers will capitalize on the opportunity.

I've got around 10,000 comics. I'm not going to waste time digging out a copy of something that only make me $2 profit. My time is worth more than that. If I can get $20 profit off of something, that's worth my time.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

12/19/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
Defiant1 wrote:
Taskmaster wrote:

That's pretty much true of anything. Once there's an opportunity to make a higher profit margin, sellers will capitalize on the opportunity.

I've got around 10,000 comics. I'm not going to waste time digging out a copy of something that only make me $2 profit. My time is worth more than that. If I can get $20 profit off of something, that's worth my time.

Right and that's my point there are books here that are WORTHLESS but once they go up to $5-10 then there is alot of listings for the same book...Or people listing it WAY over book because it's what "they" think is the price....Gotta love some people....Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

12/21/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
Taskmaster wrote:
Defiant1 wrote:
Taskmaster wrote:

Right and that's my point there are books here that are WORTHLESS but once they go up to $5-10 then there is alot of listings for the same book...Or people listing it WAY over book because it's what "they" think is the price....Gotta love some people....Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

What?
I'm one of those people. That is why I own an Amazing Fantasy #15. I took comics that got hot and traded up.

That is how books go up in value. Someone takes the effort to dig through thousands of comics to find that one comic the market is demanding and they charge what the market will bear.
The alternative is that they sit in some collection and gather dust. Some of what you are paying for is the convenience of just having it available. Storage on comics can cost thousands of dollars a month.

If you have a collection of worthless comics, you are essentially paying to store it. It's costing you money every month.

One thing I'm not going to do is see that a book is hot, dig it out of my collection, and then sell it for what I paid or less.

When a book gets hot, it has more value to me too. That's why the buyer has to pay what I think it's worth and no less. I take pride in what I own too.

What I think a book is worth outweighs what any guide or second opinion has to say. At no point is the valuation I give something less relevant than the valuation of the guy next to me.

You can be frustrated that you wanted a comic after it got hot, but it got hot because other people want it too. Some of those people have deeper pockets than me and you and just want the comic. They aren't sweating over the price at all.
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

12/21/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
I think if Taskmaster should be mad at anyone it should be Adam Smith
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

12/21/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
rustyauger wrote:

And that's relevant how??

See this is the problem when I buy comics from brick & mortar stores they have GREAT deals on books and MOST of their collection is NOT full price on EVERY book...See they get if you sit on a $3 book your never going to sell it sell it for $1 and it's gone you made SOMETHING and the buyer is happy he got a book for UNDER book (Key Word People)

I buy/bought books from people that wanted something out of it and were NOT so lazy that they had to charge FULL price for "Common" books...Whaaaaa?

I've gotten GREAT Deals on thousands of books everywhere and it only when it comes to E-Bay or that uninformed idiot who is going to mortgage the house to overpay for ONE comic...Seen it a MILLION times...wink
edited by Taskmaster on 12/21/2020
0 link

12/21/2020

The brick and mortar stores are struggling. The pandemic just killed one in my area that had been open for over 25 years. They flush comics out due to desperation. They are paying thousands of dollars a month on fixed operating costs. Their attitude (if they're smart) is to sell their backstock for whatever they can get. Unless they have capital to flip high dollar and highly collectible comics, most of their back issue bins are dead inventory. I liked the people who ran the local store that closed, but they literally had nothing in their back issue bins that I wanted. They had no display books that I wanted. Pardon my language, but most of the back issues were the same unsold crap that I didn't want 15 years ago. They made all of their operating cash off of pre-ordered new books for subscribers. That is why the pandemic killed their store.

Not everyone buying back issues has the luxury of hopping in the car and driving to a store every week. They live too far from a store, or like me, none of the local stores have the back issues they want. They rely on eBay.

Stores in my area always had the attitude that if a comic had been in their back issue bin unsold for a year, that they were lucky to get anything they could get. They knew it was creating goodwill with the loyal customers that shopped their store every week and they knew people like me would drop in once a year just to look through their backstock and see if there was a bargain.

Publishers don't actively promote the stores.
Distributors don't actively promote the store.
All of the marketing and self-promotion for a store is the responsibility of the stores themselves.

Giving discounts and not marking comics up is the easiest way to positively promote the store without pulling money out of their monthly sales income.

Is that an effective way to make money and run a sustainable business? No.
It's done out of desperation.

This same store that closed was paying for a storage bay to store all of their unsold comics in the 90's. It was costing them so much money that they opted to just quit paying for the storage and they abandoned the comics. I only know because the storage warehouse put out an ad to sell the comics in lieu of the unpaid rent. A friend of mine bought everything for pennies on the dollar. The time and effort to get the real value out of their back issues wasn't worth it.

I have comics to sell, but it's not worth my time and effort. I'm working 50 hours a week in my regular job with no apparent limitation on overtime. I can sell older back issues for a huge profit margin and I'd still not be making as much as I could if I just worked more overtime. If I choose between selling comics online or just working an extra hour of overtime, working the overtime is a wiser way for me to make money. I had an offer for an Amazing Spider-Man #300 I own and I'd be making about 95% profit if I sold it. Even that is not worth it to me because of the hassle and the fact I value my spare time off of work and the opportunity to do nothing.

Defiant1
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

12/22/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
Taskmaster wrote:
rustyauger wrote:

Because you are continually irritated by the fundamental laws of capitalism as if they shouldn't apply to your precious comic collecting hobby.
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

12/22/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
rustyauger wrote:
Taskmaster wrote:
rustyauger wrote:

Because you are continually irritated by the fundamental laws of capitalism as if they shouldn't apply to your precious comic collecting hobby.

NO because people like you think that everyone is out to screw everyone else by charging FULL PRICE FOR EVERYTHING! When they don't if you actually bought a lot of books from different sources besides E-Bay MAYBE you would get that...

I love how people "Comment" on something without using the FULL spectrum just a small tidbit of it...
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

12/22/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
Well I am going to my local comic store right now to hopefully make a trade.

I buy comics from lots of places besides Ebay but the rules of the free market exist there as well wink
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

12/22/2020

taskmaster
taskmaster
rustyauger wrote:
Well I am going to my local comic store right now to hopefully make a trade.

I buy comics from lots of places besides Ebay but the rules of the free market exist there as well wink

No really??? I can't believe people do NOT want to admit that ALOT of people are fair on prices on ALL books and everyone is not a robber who charges FULL price or higher...but I digress...Keep beating that dead horse...Flog dead topic
0 link
fdaz89
fdaz89

12/23/2020

fdaz89
fdaz89
The bigger question is why is Defiant1 listed as a guest?
0 link
rustyauger
rustyauger

12/23/2020

rustyauger
rustyauger
He probably took so long writing his response that the site signed him out
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

12/24/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
The site logs me out all the time. It's been a glitch on and off for years.
0 link