BburgDaddy-o

all messages by user

4/12/2016
Topic:
What's so great about Nova?

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
The Man Called Nova. I mean, he's in IGN top 100 superheroes list, etc. Somebody fill me in on why he is key and why I would want issue #1. Thanks.
4/12/2016
Topic:
Epic Auction find!

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
gregbrookins wrote:
I think the cover cut was when they didn't sell an issue. They could mail the cut portion of the cover back to distributor for a rebate. Technically suppose to have discarded of those after that, but I imagine it happened a lot.

Kind of like record albums in the cutout bin had notches cut into the sleeves.
4/12/2016
Topic:
Slabbed Books

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
May be a dumb question, but does cracking the slab in any way affect the CGC grade or lessen potential value if sold with slab having been cracked open at some time?
4/14/2016
Topic:
What's so great about Nova?

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
Thanks. I have a line on a pretty high-quality issue one. By the way, I did this on my phone and accidentally fat-fingered the report to moderator link! Meant to hit the acceptable answer link. Sorry!
4/15/2016
Topic:
Comic Book Eras

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
Isn't it about time for the so-called "Modern" age of comics, that generally seem be agreed upon to be from 1986- present, to be split? All of the previous eras are roughly 15 years in length. Has the industry remained the same for the past 30 years? Surely there has been some seminal event (9-11?) or change in character/art/writing/publishing style that merits splitting the modern age in two.

The modern age of comics is bursting at the seams.

And what would you call these "new" eras?
4/15/2016
Topic:
Plastic or waterproof comic storage boxes

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
I'll have to go with waterproof. About 5 years ago, our basement flooded. No worries, I thought as I sloshed through inch-deep water. My collection was off the floor. Unfortunately, torrential storms were more than a pipe leading from the sump pump could handle. It burst and laid a bead on the one box holding my most valuable comics.

I lost 50 comics worth around $2,500.
4/15/2016
Topic:
Grading: Your opinion?

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
I haven't sold on eBay in awhile, but when I did, I advertised a comic's grade across a fairly wide range (no numbers), and disclaim that I am no expert. I would try to take as many photos as allowed, describe the interior pages as best I could then let the buyer make up their mind as to condition.

If I were considering the above comic book, I wouldn't have a problem with the NM tag.
4/15/2016
Topic:
"Raw" Prices vs. "Graded" Prices

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
knparzival wrote:
I think the true value and premiums for graded books come in to play when dealing with much older books. There are so many defects that are hard to detect online or at a crowded comic shows including things like color touch ups, missing pages and trimming. A lot of people including myself will pay more for a graded copy to protect them self even if its not a high grade book.
edited by knparzival on 1/4/2016

The quality of paper used in comics today is vastly superior to those from much of the 80's and earlier. I have a couple hundred indies titles from the late 80's like The Silent Invasion, for instance, that look just as pristine as they did 30 years ago. Unless a newer book (last 25 years or so) is a key or extremely low print run, I don't see the benefit of slabbing unless you're trying to flip a hot title or speculate that it will be extremely valuable in another 25 years.

I agree that the older the book, the more stock you can put into having it professionally graded. By encapsulating them, you can better preserve that grade while the same books not having gone through the process continue to accumulate more wear, tear and degradation.
4/16/2016
Topic:
Comic Book Eras

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
CapnDoug wrote:
Honestly, if we want to start calling something the copper age, the years from 1986 to 1994-1996 or so would be the best fit. Basically, the production value of a single issue seems to have gone up, while print runs plummeted. Where exactly you put this break would not be clear, but it would make sense to put the break after the crash of the mid-90's. We might even be able to say that we are in a seperate age from that as well, with the New 52 and Marvel Now allowing for a fairly clean break in 2011.

But then again, no one can really point to when the Bronze Age started (I've heard death of Gwen Stacy, debut of Punisher, debut of Conan, etc), so pinpointing the start of these ages would be tricky, too.

I have a question, then. Assuming that at some point a greater percentage of titles from '86-'96 become desirable again, which of the more obscure ones might become "must-haves" for either collectors or investors?
4/16/2016
Topic:
Comic Book Eras

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
kds_comics wrote:
My nickel's worth...

There is no argument that the Silver Age of comics started with the return of Super-heroes in Showcase #96. Well and good.

There is no single comic issue that started the Bronze Age of comics. One argument is additional of social relevance in the 1970's. with Amazing Spider-Man comics that failed to recieve the comic code of approval and this one from DC that provided social relevance of the time on topics like prison reform and drugs.

KDS
edited by kds_comics on 4/16/2016

I think there can be some overlap, and that is purely subjective to the individual. I agree with what you said above, and going a step further, for me the Bronze Age of comics started specifically with Green Lantern/Green Arrow.
5/31/2016
Topic:
Crystal Ball: '80s Indies Titles Worth a Crap?

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
I started collecting comics in earnest in the '80s. Wasn't into speculating; I just got things that caught my eye. I did have the foresight to store them properly so now, +/- 30 years later, I have titles in really nice condition.

The 1980s were a different time for comic books. Not talking about Marvel or DC here. Strictly indies. So much creativity never seen before in both story and art. It leaves me to wonder why after all these years, there doesn't seem to be any kind of investment market for these titles.

A few of my favorites:
  • Mister X
  • Scout
  • Silent Invasion
  • Redfox
  • Mage
  • Grendel (even post-Hunter Rose)
  • Eddy Current
  • Mai the Psychic Girl
  • Elementals
  • Maze Agency

It's not like these had monster distribution (did they?). It just seems like they have been forgotten. Is there no hope for indies books from that time to become desirable for investors again?
7/27/2016
Topic:
Bloodshot 0 Variants

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
I have a copy of Bloodshot 0. What is the difference between the chromium cover (0) and the embossed vvss cover (0C)? I don't even know what vvss stands for. Thanks!
7/28/2016
Topic:
Bloodshot 0 Variants

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
OK. Thanks. I really couldn't tell the color difference from the cover photos here on CPG, although the VVSS photo showed signed.
7/28/2016
Topic:
CGC Turnaround Time?

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
Has anyone here recently gotten their books back from CGC? What was your turnaround time on it? They received my submission on 5/27 and the site still says they are "scheduled for grading." Thanks!

Sent in:
  • 1st Issue Special #8
  • The Killing Joke
  • John Byrne's Next Men #21
  • Nova #1
  • Savage She-Hulk #1
8/2/2016
Topic:
CGC Turnaround Time?

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
Oh geez.

Thanks.
9/2/2016
Topic:
CGC Turnaround Time?

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
Today, books are finally graded and en route back to me!
9/2/2016
Topic:
CGC Remains a Mystery

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
Well, after 3 months, I've finally received grades on some comics I sent to CGC. This specifically refers to first printing Batman: The Killing Joke. I bought four of these new, bagged and boarded them. the only time I handled them was when refreshing bags and boards periodically. Three of them were never even opened. The fourth is my reader copy.

So, I got them back and all three received 9.8's from CGC.

I had no illusions of gem mint on them, but I thought I had a pretty good chance of one or more being graded at 9.9. I'm not sure what it takes for that to happen on any book anymore. I've heard that a grade can depend on the mood of the grader at the time, etc. And I'm sure they are seeing more than their share of TKJ's coming through their doors lately.

i look at grading criteria in my Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics, and with that as a basis, I think these merit 9.9 consideration. Again, it may be due to the number of these coming through that make CGC take a harder look at them. I don't know.

Anyone want to chime in with their opinion?
9/3/2016
Topic:
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 30TH ANNIVERSARY Value

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
He might be talking about the 30th Anniv poster magazine, which I also have. One just sold on ebay for $10.
9/4/2016
Topic:
I cannot remove issue info posted incorrectly

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
You should be able to delete and redo it. You probabaly should contact admin about this.
9/26/2016
Topic:
Variant Info in CPG Question

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
On a variant book description in CPG, what does (for example) "Limited 1 for 25" mean?