Slabbed Books Messages in this topic - RSS

genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics

4/7/2016

Just a quick question guys.

What is the plastic sleeve the comic sits in when slabbed? I'm not talking about the hard outer case but the sleeve the outer case protects. Is that sleeve mylar or poly or something else?

Thanks!
0 link
kitdog
kitdog

4/8/2016

kitdog
kitdog
Its plastic that is sealed and protects the book from shifting inside the hard outer shell.
0 link
genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics

4/8/2016

kitdog wrote:
Its plastic that is sealed and protects the book from shifting inside the hard outer shell.

Thanks for the reply. I know it's purpose but what I'm asking is what is it's makeup? Is it the same composite as the poly bags? Or mylar bags? Or is it something else?
0 link
kitdog
kitdog

4/8/2016

kitdog
kitdog
having cracked several, I can say for sure the inner is not mylar, my guess would be it is the same makeup as a polybag. This is probably why they suggest to have your books re-slabbed every 7-10 years or so.
0 link
genuinearticlecomics
genuinearticlecomics

4/8/2016

kitdog wrote:
having cracked several, I can say for sure the inner is not mylar, my guess would be it is the same makeup as a polybag. This is probably why they suggest to have your books re-slabbed every 7-10 years or so.

Ahh!!! Perfect!! That's what I was looking for. I crack every slabbed book I purchase and place the comic in mylar. I'm familiar with the poly vs. mylar debate but knowing that the inner sleeve in slabbed books is likely poly, I'm more confident in my decision to crack the slab and put the comic in mylar.
I wasn't aware it's suggested to re-slab books every 7-10 years. that makes perfect sense in deducing the sleeve is likely poly.

Thanks so much!!!
edited by genuinearticlecomics on 4/8/2016
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

4/10/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
PGX's inner sleeve is Barex (a polyester film) CGC uses Mylar and CBCS uses another polyester film. Mylar used for comics and other paper is type D. Not all polyester films meet the archival storage needs.

For CGC the reason they suggest reholdering books every 7-10 years is that the micro chamber paper will no longer be absorbing any gases past that period of time.
edited by Oxbladder on 4/10/2016
0 link
genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics

4/10/2016

Oxbladder wrote:
PGX's inner sleeve is Barex (a polyester film) CGC uses Mylar and CBCS uses another polyester film. Mylar used for comics and other paper is type D. Not all polyester films meet the archival storage needs.

For CGC the reason they suggest reholdering books every 7-10 years is that the micro chamber paper will no longer be absorbing any gases past that period of time.

Hmmm....alright then, that changes things a bit for me. I was looking for justification for cracking slabs (other than they're big and clunky and harder to store).

As usual, you shed valuable insight.

Thanks for the information!!
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

4/10/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Well, there is nothing wrong with cracking books out of slabs. Plenty of people do it. It is a preference and while there are decent reasons to keep books in the slab there really is nothing wrong with taking them out either. Since you are storing them in Mylar they are still well protected (providing that you are not using a regular board). Though I don't know for sure I would say that the fact that an unslabbed book may breath easier they might be slightly better off than staying in the slab.
0 link
genuinearticlecomics
genuinearticlecomics

4/11/2016

Thanks again!!
I use E. Gerber Full-Back 100% acid free backing boards with my mylar bags.
Hopefully this is the correct way to do it....
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

4/12/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Perfect! You are good to go! You shouldn't have to worry about bags and boards for those puppies for the rest of your lifetime!
0 link
BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o

4/12/2016

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
May be a dumb question, but does cracking the slab in any way affect the CGC grade or lessen potential value if sold with slab having been cracked open at some time?
+1 link
genuine_article_comics
genuine_article_comics

4/12/2016

BburgDaddy-o wrote:
May be a dumb question, but does cracking the slab in any way affect the CGC grade or lessen potential value if sold with slab having been cracked open at some time?

Thanks Ox! Happy to hear that.

BburgDaddy-o: Not a dumb question at all. I believe it does and will impact the price I can get if I sell the comic. A slabbed book, for the most part, guarantees a higher sale value because the general perception is slabbed books are graded accurately or more objectively than the owner whose selling the non-slabbed book. For me, I don't care about that because I am not selling my collection any time soon or ever.
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

4/12/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
BburgDaddy-o wrote:

As mentioned in the previous post it will affect the value. If you plan on selling a slab down the road it is best to keep it in the slab. If it is staying in your collection then having it slabbed is not necessary. Though it could facilitate your heir best market value should you pass on (or you should you wish to sell before your demise).

There are pluses and minuses both ways and thus it is completely up to each collector what they do. Heck who's to say that slabbed books will continue to command a premium? The foundations all the companies stand upon are fairly shaky.
+1 link
Finley2020
Finley2020

12/4/2016

Finley2020
Finley2020
Oxbladder wrote:

Ox, that being said, will the micro chamber paper actually begin to damage the book once it stops functioning or does it simply stop protecting? I have one book that was slabbed 11 years ago and I'm not sure whether to send it back out or to leave it alone as the case is in decent shape.

PS- Sorry for dredging up an old thread.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

12/5/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
I was reading on the CBCS forum that they may not make such reslabbing claims any more. To answer your question more directly, in theory, no, there should be no risk of damage from "spent" microchamber paper. Like the buffered backing boards from Gerber the paper should be inert even when it's buffering capacity is done.

Now I don't know if there is any risk to books once the paper is spent and if you choose not to reholder the them. I do know that CBCS doesn't use microchamber paper at all so, if stored in a good environment, I doubt there is much worry from off-gassing. There could be problems if the environment is not ideal ... but that goes for books in any storage device.
+1 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

12/6/2016

sclingerman
sclingerman
Oxbladder wrote:
PGX's inner sleeve is Barex (a polyester film) CGC uses Mylar and CBCS uses another polyester film.

CBCS uses PETG for their inner bags. PETG is PolyEthylene Terephthalate Glycol, also known as "Glycol modified PET".
Mylar is Biaxially oriented PET (no Glycol added) film.
PETG *is* archival level (ie: pretty much the same as Mylar). So even if it's not 100% equal to Mylar, it'll be effective longer than you'll live.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

12/6/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Thanks I was aware of that after I posted the line you quoted. I would like to point out though, just so people are clear, not all PETG and Mylar is archival. There are many different varieties. I may be splitting hair but if anyone did look up the functions of barex, mylar, or PETG they would quickly realize there are a lot of choices out there and not all of them are the right one wink
0 link
xspider1
xspider1

8/23/2017

xspider1
xspider1
I just corresponded with CGC via email today and apparently they are using petg, not mylar. The CGC Rep. had some good info., they said:

"The CGC holder is designed for long-term preservation and provides superior protection for your books. A properly handled and stored CGC-certified book can last for generations.

The CGC holder is made from high-quality materials and is entirely archival-safe. The inner well that holds books, for example, is comprised of PETG, a plastic that is well known to be archival-safe and extremely clear. This PETG well is placed inside of a durable outer case that is sonically welded to ensure a secure, tamper-evident seal.

Many comic books, particularly vintage ones, naturally release ("off gas") acidic molecules over time. The CGC holder is therefore designed to not have an air-tight seal, which would otherwise trap these acidic molecules.

For added long-term preservation, CGC inserts MicroChamber® paper into vintage books prior to encapsulation. This MicroChamber paper helps to neutralize the natural acidity of some books by using a specialized, proprietary “zeolite” that was designed to absorb and hold the molecules known to damage archival collections. That is why MicroChamber paper is used by many of the world’s most respected museums and institutions, including the Smithsonian Institution, the Getty Conservation Institute, the Louvre, the British Museum and the Northeast Document Conservation Center.

When CGC was first established in 2000, we thoroughly researched and implemented the best practices in archival preservation. We took a conservative approach and suggested that customers may wish to consider reholdering their books after approximately seven to ten years so that the MicroChamber paper could be replaced.

Today, however, we have the benefit of having graded 4.1 million books over a 17-year period. This is an incredibly large sample size that represents books of all eras, paper types, paper qualities, storage conditions and grades. CGC and its customers now have ample evidence that demonstrates it is not necessary to have your CGC books reholdered simply to replace the MicroChamber paper. CGC’s archival-safe holder, with its combination of features that includes air permeability, MicroChamber paper and a secure, sonic seal, has been shown to provide superior long-term protection for the millions of books that have been encapsulated by CGC.

We have never seen a properly stored CGC-certified comic book that needed to be reholdered for archival reasons. Nonetheless, there are still a number of benefits to utilizing CGC’s reholder service, including the crystal-clear display, enhanced aesthetic and durable construction of CGC’s new holder.

It is important to remember that proper storage is essential to preserving your books, and collectors should take steps to minimize exposure to heat, humidity, vibration and light. CGC recommends that CGC-certified books be stored in a dark, dry, cool, temperature-controlled location."
edited by xspider1 on 8/23/2017
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

8/23/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
They must have changed at some point because they had used archival mylar before. PETG and Mylar are not really that different though wink
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

9/9/2017

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
Oxbladder wrote:

How long have CGC been using Mylar? Just interested as I have some CGC older than 7 years. Don't think I will send them off to be reslabbed as it's quite expensive to post from the UK. Though I'm happy enough if they're in Mylar that'll do me.
0 link