Crystal Ball: '80s Indies Titles Worth a Crap? Messages in this topic - RSS

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o

5/31/2016

BburgDaddy-o
BburgDaddy-o
I started collecting comics in earnest in the '80s. Wasn't into speculating; I just got things that caught my eye. I did have the foresight to store them properly so now, +/- 30 years later, I have titles in really nice condition.

The 1980s were a different time for comic books. Not talking about Marvel or DC here. Strictly indies. So much creativity never seen before in both story and art. It leaves me to wonder why after all these years, there doesn't seem to be any kind of investment market for these titles.

A few of my favorites:
  • Mister X
  • Scout
  • Silent Invasion
  • Redfox
  • Mage
  • Grendel (even post-Hunter Rose)
  • Eddy Current
  • Mai the Psychic Girl
  • Elementals
  • Maze Agency

It's not like these had monster distribution (did they?). It just seems like they have been forgotten. Is there no hope for indies books from that time to become desirable for investors again?
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

6/2/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Thus is the fate of most books published. In case you have never noticed the majority of books that have been and will be released, especially outside of the big two hero books, appreciate in value slowly.
0 link
expander
expander

7/18/2017

expander
expander
I can agree I like a lot of the indie stuff. I've been struggling to put a southern knights run together for years. I also liked Zen Intergalactic ninja. Jon Sable was another good one from first comics.

A quick hop over to ebay can turn up a lot of cool stuff but it gets pricey quick. most of those books had semi-decent distribution for what they where and WHEN they were but a lot of indie titles debuted and got shut down after 2,3,4 issues so there were a lot of #1's out there that set up a great story but the creators got shut down or the small publishers went bankrupt or even worse they never got published at all.

The 80's were fraught with copyright lawsuits as well and some titles/characters bearing to similar a likeness to the big two properties got slammed with cease and desist (sp?) orders in a heartbeat.

There is a market for these types of books but it's a small niche market and it's crowded by sellers and plagued with over pricing. that being said there are deals out there, they're just few and far between.

bottom line is if you want it it's out there you just gotta dig....then pay.
0 link