chipaway

all messages by user

5/8/2017
Topic:
Marvel pence copies

chipaway
chipaway
Hi all.
Just upgeaded to the paid servixe here.love this site.
Im building my bronze age marvel collection and slowly getting rid of my pence copies. I do still have a few pence ones but they are minor key ones such as Ghost Rider 1 and Daredevil 168.
Can anyone tell me why the pence copies are graded so much lower in value than cents copies?
I've been led to believe that around 5% of the initail print runs were pence copies so surely they should be worth more as there were less made yet that. Isn't the case.
5/10/2017
Topic:
Stuck on Grading this. Can anyone help?

chipaway
chipaway
I'm pretty accurante grading comics normally but I'm really stuck on this one.
The front cover has a slight browning line down it.
The pages are white.
Could anyone help me on this? I'm not selling it, its just for me as I believe this comic has already started climbing in value due to the Marvel Movies and Warlock being rumoured to be in the next Avengers films.

[IMG]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/acdcfans123/s-l1600.jpg[/IMG]
5/10/2017
Topic:
Stuck on Grading this. Can anyone help?

chipaway
chipaway
sclingerman wrote:
Lower-right corner piece out. (This one really hurts it.)
Upper-Right small corner crease.
Top edge slight abrasion.
Miswrap very noticeable.
Unobtrusive sun shadow on back cover.

I'd say due to the low number of defects, despite that corner piece out, it would get an 8.0 because the other defects aren't very severe.

Thanks. Very informative I thought I was looking at a 7 so not as bad as I thought although would have preferred higher. haha. Cheers for that
5/15/2017
Topic:
WHAT'S HOT, WHAT'S NOT

chipaway
chipaway
kds_comics wrote:
knparzival wrote:
I cannot predict the future but books I think are under valued
World's finest 3 (first scarecrow),
Fantastic four 48
batman 181
Action comics 58 (probably one of the most historically interesting superman covers)
Wonder woman 178
Grenada 1984 (historically awesome, practically unknown)

Books that I think are high risk investments due to over speculation IMO,

New Mutants 98 --approx 275k printed and there are a lot of collectors sitting on this
\wonder woman 98 (series 1). Guide value is way low, but market prices are over the top
Fantastic four 45,52 (I just do not believe these are nearly as key as 48, but due to speculation they have been selling for as much if not more)
edited by knparzival on 1/4/2016

Grenada - this one?
http://comicspriceguide.com/collection/commercial-comics-co/grenada/1/torskw#_profileTab

Historically fascinating - unfortunately no significant collectable value.
There area large number of 1960's and 1970's war comics about famous WW2 battles - unfortunately collectors are not as interested in real, historical battles as they should be. Definitely a novelty. I'd buy it if I could get it cheap - just for the "unusual" effect.

KDS

I think that due to the new GOTO movie mentioning Adam at the end (sorry for the spoiler if you've still not seen it) and the expected use of him in Avengers films against Thanos I would expect Fantasic four #66 to rise as that's the first mention of him. And also Marvel premiere #1 it's his real appearance.

Amazing spiderman 135 and 136 have always been steady but with 129 costing so much and unattainable to many 135 is gonna be the next best option. 134 with shows the punisher in a few panels isn't doing much more than usual so #135 looks to be the way to go. Punisher series has already been announced on Netflix. ASM #136 is always a good option to with Marvel studios now having Spiderman back I'm guessing a Green Goblin story will be on.the cards.it makes sense to appeal to the younger age bracket to utilise the Harry Osborne version who first appeared in 136.

X men 266 is.still.doing well with the first appearance of Gambit but the movie has been delayed. I'd buy it now if you want to flip.it. same.with moon knight buy now to flip.
Daredevils Frank miller era continues to go.from strength to strength.
Just my 2 cents
5/26/2017
Topic:
To Slab or not?

chipaway
chipaway
Hi,
Just wondering about people's views on this.
I have around 100+ marvel comics from the bronze age. They're strong titles with many minor and a couple of major keys.
I'm looking at keeping them as an investment for my kids. Something to pass down if you will.
My question is as many of these are just mid grade copies around 4.0 to 7.5 is it worth getting them slabbed or not?
I'm not bothered about reading them but it's a huge cost to slab and is it actually worth slabbing a mid grade bronze age comic or would I be better spending that money on a better investment ie a single comic for the same cost of slabbing some of them, say around 20-30.
And lastly if I was to slab is CBCS a good option?

Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
5/26/2017
Topic:
BAD SELLERS!!

chipaway
chipaway
I've bought a Spiderman key comic from a well known comic store in the USA. As I live in the UK customs have charged a cost for me to collect it.
I told eBay who said don't pay it as the seller should have paid it or put it on the listing.
I told the shop who offered me a refund if I sent it back to them. I'm now having to let the English postal system send it back themselves as I'm not collecting it and paying under instruction from eBay. Then I have to.open a case with them to get my refund.
The comuc store won't even respond to any message. I've asked for an amicable end but it's looking unlikely now.
When it's sorted I'll name and shame them.
6/15/2017
Topic:
Dropping in value

chipaway
chipaway
I've noticed that many silver and particularly bronze age comics seem to be selling at really low amounts recently on eBay.
Whilst I understand the market fluctuates at times some of these prices are really surprisingly low.
Major Keys are holding value but if it's not a key it's practically worthless.
Overall this past two months prices are crashing, any thoughts?
6/15/2017
Topic:
Dropping in value

chipaway
chipaway
jokerbangedquinn wrote:
What series are you seeing drops? I only pay attention to Batman books, no drops there.

I follow Marvel bronze age mostly.
The minor keys like Iron man 128. Any Ms Marvel. Black panther and some Amazing spiderman.
For instance an Iron man 128 sold this week for around $5 yet in the past I've seen it go for literally 10 times that price at the same grade.
Inhumans #1 this week a copy went for $10 in the past same again 10 times that at a similar grade.
It's like the bottoms dropped out of the lower end market.
7/6/2017
Topic:
Should I follow the graded value?

chipaway
chipaway
You'd be better off checking completed eBay listings than following the graded prices. In most cases the prices of
Graded books are currently selling around 2-3 times higher than the prices here.
Many dealers are aware of this.