Should I follow the graded value? Messages in this topic - RSS

aegirthor
aegirthor

7/1/2017

aegirthor
aegirthor
Quick question

I am looking to buy some comics and the price guide here lists two prices, raw and graded. The sale price of the comic in question is just below the graded value in the price list. Should I follow that one then? Since it is close the graded value and the graded value is the fair market price more or less?

Thanks!
0 link
lealew7
lealew7

7/5/2017

lealew7
lealew7
this will all depend on if you have a graded comic book or not. Raw just means straight from the shelf to your hands. Graded is actually performed through a company that will then encase your comic book and this will raise the value of that comic book. But not all comic books are worth grading or having them graded due to their massive over prints of those issues. Look more for Key issues or First issues for some. Time and experience help you figure out what is worth it and what isn't, but it is always helpful when you can ask opinions from others as well smile Good luck.
0 link
aegirthor
aegirthor

7/5/2017

aegirthor
aegirthor
Thanks for the reply!

Kind of taking my first steps as a collector and indulging in collecting some comics I´ve been wanting for years.

This comic is graded btw and from the 70´s so I´ll just assume that the graded value is close to the perceived market value.
+1 link
lealew7
lealew7

7/5/2017

lealew7
lealew7
that is what it should be, so I've read through out the different forums heresmile CPG tries their hardest to keep up with the values of what is hot and not, but it helps when there is more contribution and activity. Sometimes it takes a little longer to find what you are looking for. Yes, if it is encased, it should give you the exact info you need along with the graded number, example: 9.6 NM which is Near-Mint. If you see anything in here that claims to be a mint 10; be cautious is all. Unless it went straight from printer to a slab with nearly no handling, then yes it counts as a Mint condition. But just FYI it is a mythical item to obtain, lol, but true. again, it all depends on what you choose to collect or if you are looking for very particular issues. Glad to assistsmile
0 link
chipaway
chipaway

7/6/2017

chipaway
chipaway
You'd be better off checking completed eBay listings than following the graded prices. In most cases the prices of
Graded books are currently selling around 2-3 times higher than the prices here.
Many dealers are aware of this.
+2 link
ksarge72
ksarge72

7/26/2017

ksarge72
ksarge72
Two questions please: By "encased" and "slabbed" do you mean the plastic sleeves and cardboard backing that most comic stores put the books in? And, if not, where would I take my comics to have this done? I've been collecting for my own pleasure for years, but never really tried checking their worth before.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

7/26/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Encased and slabbed is the same thing, both words describes a book that has been graded by a third party grading company then encased in a plastic holder. Books you grade yourself hopefully are put in " bag and board".
There a three companies that grade your books for a price. CGC and CBCS are the best.
CBCS is listed on the right side of this page. Click it and you'll learn something hopefully.
Hope this helps.
edited by Jokerbangedquinn on 7/26/2017
0 link