Carrie Kelley: 1

Let's Start a War! : Worst Robin?! Messages in this topic - RSS

rgtichy
rgtichy

5/3/2020

rgtichy
rgtichy
Nothing like a good fan "War"!

Instead of arguing about the "Best" Robin, let's trash the "Worst" Robin in your opinion(s). Be very specific about what qualities of that Robin make it the worst version. Horrible origin stories, vacuous motivations, transparent plotlines, et cetera.

Go!
0 link
BasementComics
BasementComics

5/3/2020

BasementComics
BasementComics
I believe the writers originally made Jason a copy of Dick but then it kind of went south from there.
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

5/3/2020

rgtichy
rgtichy
It wasn't great, that's for sure. Personally, I was never a fan of the first origin of Jason Todd as a circus orphan, but I was plenty ready to see Dick Grayson move on at the time, into Nightwing and the Teen Titans. It didn't matter to me at all when he died, because my "Favorite Batman" is Robin-less, anyway. Pretty much the whole run of Batman in the 1970's that I admire is Batman with no Robin. Robin was excused to be with the original Teen Titans, and that was fine. Batman alone gets into weirder stuff. Swamp Thing, Phantom Stranger, Spectre type stuff. Whether it's Aparo, or Adams or Rogers, Batman running solo is the way I prefer Batman.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/3/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
I don't follow DC, so my opinion isn't relevant. I'd answer Burt Ward.
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

5/3/2020

rgtichy
rgtichy
AND, as someone who grew up ingesting the Pre-Crisis DC multi-verse, re-casting Jason Todd as the Red Hood is offensive, too. Older origin stories of the Joker make him the Red Hood before falling into a chemical vat while battling Batman. When he comes out of the chemicals, down-river, he's the Joker.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/3/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Before the Death in the Family series (Batman 426-429) Jason Todd was obnoxious. Whining, stealing tires, maybe killing someone, basically a punk. When issue 428 came out with a number in the back to vote whether he lived or died, I wanted to vote for death. Somehow I forgot to call and never cast my vote to make him worm food. Go back and read those issues prior to 426 and you'll understand why he was so hated.
+1 link