Stargirl television series Messages in this topic - RSS

colbalt91
colbalt91

5/23/2020

colbalt91
colbalt91
I watched the first episode of Star Girl this past Tuesday and it is really great. It seemed to stay true to the old style comics I mean it was more straight action without stopping in the middle and getting introspective about the fate of the human species as opposed to equal rights for gerbils or deep psychological introspection ... in other words it was fun.
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/24/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
It seemed very derivative of hundreds of plots I've seen before.
All the characters are likeable. By that I mean watchable.
There were no actors that repulsed me enough that I would not want to watch the show every week.
We've seen the magical staff before. It was Dr. Strange's cape in the 2016 movie.
We've seen kids who protest against their step dad.
We've seen kids who don't fit in at school.
We've seen musty old crates holding secrets prior to this show.
The "conflicts" setup in the pilot for future resolution are cliché,
tiresome, and somewhat of a cookie cutter extraction from other movies
and TV shows.
I watched the show and just thought "Oh. Okay"
There was nothing exciting about it.
Most of it was quite predictable.
I suspect that the special effects budget will drop drastically after the pilot episode.

I expect at least 25% of the future episodes to focus on boring social
interactions and not superhero activities that require a nice budget.
edited by Defiant1 on 5/24/2020
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

5/25/2020

rgtichy
rgtichy
colbalt91 wrote:
I watched the first episode of Star Girl this past Tuesday and it is really great. It seemed to stay true to the old style comics I mean it was more straight action without stopping in the middle and getting introspective about the fate of the human species as opposed to equal rights for gerbils or deep psychological introspection ... in other words it was fun.

Where can I watch it?
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/25/2020

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I've heard from a trusted source that the first episodes were surprisingly good. I might have to watch it.
R
+1 link
colbalt91
colbalt91

5/27/2020

colbalt91
colbalt91
Stargirl streams on the DC Universe on Mondays and then on Tuesday night it is on a CBS affiliate called the C&W. I watched last night's episode and once again the quality was excellent and no let up. It has been a while since I can actually look forward to wanting to watch an hour long episode of anything. I thought I saw somewhere on the internet that Rotten Tomatoes had given the first episode a 93. In this episode the show emphasizes the wearing of masks to protect the families of superheroes. This is a clear departure from modern day superhero storytelling and hearkens back to the old days where it made sense to wear a mask. I think the doing away of the mask is more an ego thing with an actor to help convince them to take on a superhero role. Most actors do not want to take a role where their face is hidden.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/27/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
colbalt91 wrote:
Stargirl streams on the DC Universe on Mondays and then on Tuesday night it is on a CBS affiliate called the C&W. I watched last night's episode and once again the quality was excellent and no let up. It has been a while since I can actually look forward to wanting to watch an hour long episode of anything. I thought I saw somewhere on the internet that Rotten Tomatoes had given the first episode a 93. In this episode the show emphasizes the wearing of masks to protect the families of superheroes. This is a clear departure from modern day superhero storytelling and hearkens back to the old days where it made sense to wear a mask. I think the doing away of the mask is more an ego thing with an actor to help convince them to take on a superhero role. Most actors do not want to take a role where their face is hidden.

I definitely agree with your last statement.
0 link
colbalt91
colbalt91

6/4/2020

colbalt91
colbalt91
Episode 3 of Star Girl seems like they were just treading water. Not much happened and some logic problems. I hope number 4 is back to the quality I have been used to
0 link
rgtichy
rgtichy

6/5/2020

rgtichy
rgtichy
I wasn't too impressed with the pilot... I don't know if I'll go back to check out #2. It felt very "fake-y" (within the parameters of being a comic book based movie to begin with). The effects and production were such that the whole thing felt like a soundstage, the Truman Show or Pleasantville, but didn't seem like it'd ever turn on itself to become interesting like those did.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/6/2020

Defiant1
Defiant1
Other than some CGI and effects, I've been disappointed from the start. I like Luke Wilson as an actor, but his dialogue is a bunch of whining back and forth with his daughter. It's tedious to endure. It seems like too much time is wasted with dialogue saying "you can't do that", but then they do it. Cut to the chase and show the characters doing what they're going to do! I keep expecting Luke Wilson to get killed off. This role is a big step down for him. I'm starting to not like the girl who plays Stargirl because of all the annoying dialogue. I know almost nothing about Zatanna, but I felt as though they were setting up an opportunity for her to show up.

The writing on all of the CW shows is terrible. Visually, the shows are decent. The writing is just pathetic. The writing on Black Lightning was the best, but even it gets weak at times.
0 link