Finley2020

all messages by user

1/2/2016
Topic:
What happened to the old forums?

Finley2020
Finley2020
Ah! So that's what happened. Good to see it back up.
1/3/2016
Topic:
Ecxalibur

Finley2020
Finley2020
shopgoodwill.com? Interesting. Never knew they had a website for something like that.
1/6/2016
Topic:
Any Graphic Novel Recommendations?

Finley2020
Finley2020
So here's the thing. I'm out in Afghanistan working as an I.T. contractor and despite working everyday I have a LOT of time on my hands. Any recommendations on graphic novels or story arc collections? I lean towards Marvel 90% of the time but I wont shy away from DC or indie books. So far, I've read The Infinity Gauntlet and Civil War and I'm thinking about picking up the Superior Spider-Man collection. Anything else?
1/14/2016
Topic:
Any Graphic Novel Recommendations?

Finley2020
Finley2020
Your guys are awesome, thanks for all the recommendations.
11/26/2016
Topic:
Where have all the peoples gone...

Finley2020
Finley2020
It's been a while since I popped my head in here (I was off in Afghanistan for a year) but wow....this place is a ghost town- even more so than before and I'm a late comer. I'm sure we lost folks who will never come back but it would be nice to see it back to the pre-crash days.
12/3/2016
Topic:
Signing: value or destruction?

Finley2020
Finley2020
Way late to add my $0.02, but I've never cared for signed books. I understand the appeal but I always felt they ruin the book and it's something I can't shake. To me CGC's holy anointed Yellow Label doesn't make it any better because it's treated like a speculators "add-on". Oh well. They're just following the invisible hand I guess. There are a few exceptions in which I'll buy a signed book but it's only because I'll never sell it AND I have a similar unsigned copy in my collection as well. I know, I'm weird.
12/4/2016
Topic:
Signing: value or destruction?

Finley2020
Finley2020
tarn kronos wrote:
i'm going to be a bit more positive about signed books for a minute. I think people are buying signed books when encased in Plastic. One might say that they even sell for a higher price (sometimes) than non-signed books. So, if this is true then the market has already answered this question. When I got my Strange Tales 110 signed by Stan Lee i was not worried. My memory was great on this...I got to meet Stan the Man and I thanked him for all he has done, and told him my life was better because of it...his response was "and on the eighth day i created the"...lol he has a good sense of humor. My experience was great and i would have never had it if I did not seek out to have him sign the book. To top it off the CGC gave me a 6.5 for the book unrestored and even gave me the elusive grade that you almost never see for this book of "White Pages"! I had my son with me and he got to meet stan too so we have a great book preserved in plastic signed by Stan and we have a great Memory!

Ok, this is where I can get behind signed books. When you memories like this attached to them it makes all the sense in the world. I guess I was only looking at it from a post signature point of view. Good story!
12/4/2016
Topic:
Where have all the peoples gone...

Finley2020
Finley2020
I kinda liked the old point system too. Not that anyone was going to catch up to Ox but it was fun smile
12/4/2016
Topic:
Slabbed Books

Finley2020
Finley2020
Oxbladder wrote:
For CGC the reason they suggest reholdering books every 7-10 years is that the micro chamber paper will no longer be absorbing any gases past that period of time.
edited by Oxbladder on 4/10/2016

Ox, that being said, will the micro chamber paper actually begin to damage the book once it stops functioning or does it simply stop protecting? I have one book that was slabbed 11 years ago and I'm not sure whether to send it back out or to leave it alone as the case is in decent shape.

PS- Sorry for dredging up an old thread.
12/8/2016
Topic:
Comic reading grad student needs help!

Finley2020
Finley2020
Done. Hope it helps!
12/11/2016
Topic:
spider man 300 should oi get it graded

Finley2020
Finley2020
Presumably you're referring to Amazing Spider-Man #300 which is a very key book. If you're looking to sell it at any point in the future then I would try and get it graded. If you're not selling than I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it safe smile

There are three big graders out there- each with their own merits (and detractors). I've never had the experience of submitting comics to any of them since the few slabbed books I have were like that when I purchased them. These links should get you started:

https://www.cbcscomics.com/

https://www.cgccomics.com/

I believe CGC requires you to be a member or that you need to submit it through a LCS that is a member but they could have changed that.

http://pgxcomics.com/

PS- Apologies beforehand to the moderators if link posting is a no-no.
edited by finley2020 on 12/11/2016
3/22/2017
Topic:
Finally! My comic to be published by IDW!

Finley2020
Finley2020
This is great news, congrats!
4/24/2017
Topic:
What book U bought at cover price that sky rocket

Finley2020
Finley2020
I don think I have a book that I bought at cover that really took off. I had a pull list in the late 90s and I suppose the last few books of ASM vol 1- ASM 431 in particular- KINDA went up in price but ASM had a small print run at the time so I think that's why.
4/24/2017
Topic:
Where Have All the Users Gone

Finley2020
Finley2020
So what are the odds of seeing HalfLife 3 before CPG 3.0? I kid. I do miss the old forums though.
4/25/2017
Topic:

Finley2020
Finley2020
Gilgandra wrote:
G'day Finley. (at least you have a cool avatar) most members here don't have one...So sad! The regulars do of course.
Yeah! I know i missed it too. I know as much you guys do.
CPG 3.0 that's a catchy name for it Lol.
Jesse said he contacted them not to long ago & the CPG gods are hard at work getting it done.
Hopefully not to long ...3,4--6 months smile
edited by Gilgandra on 4/24/2017

Ah, thank you. I'm rather proud of my new Werewolf Scooby avatar smile

I hope they're hard at work on the site. I know there are some of us who are in doubt but I'll remain hopeful for CPG 3.0.
4/27/2017
Topic:
Found tons of comics

Finley2020
Finley2020
Oh man, please please please list some of the titles you found. I love these stories. Closest thing I found of "value" in my house was some old radio tubes.
4/28/2017
Topic:
Uncanny X-Men Gains/Drops

Finley2020
Finley2020
Oxbladder wrote:
Perhaps they were too high in the first place?

You mean kinda like a market correction? Anything I ever needed to know about the stock market I learned from comic books smile
5/11/2017
Topic:
Why Do YOU Collect Comics?

Finley2020
Finley2020
My older brother got me into comics when I was little. I read copies of Moon-Knight and Spider-Man over and over again because the art work fascinated me even if the stories rarely made sense (I never had full story arcs). Kinda of what Defiant1 said- the realization of just how big the Marvel Universe was. From the Five Boroughs of NYC to the other side of the Universe- it was crazy! After long stints of collecting on and off I grew up to appreciate the industry (good and bad) as a whole and just how much work goes into making each issue and just what a beautiful medium it was. It's inspired me to create my own book- due out on shelves Spring 2039!
5/11/2017
Topic:
Found tons of comics

Finley2020
Finley2020
OP! Where's that list?
5/11/2017
Topic:

Finley2020
Finley2020
ComicJoeSuper wrote:
I'm new to the board! I collect mostly EC Comics so if anyone would like to chat about EC, please feel free to contact me!

Looking forward to discussing comics with everyone on this board.

Hey SuperJoe! I've recently gotten into the comic horror genre with Marvel's bronze age revival. From my understanding though EC were the masters of horror. Any books of theirs you can recommend?

Welcome to the Forum, BTW.