Finley2020

all messages by user

5/18/2017
Topic:
EC Comics Discussion

Finley2020
Finley2020
I've really been into Marvel's bronze age horror revival the past few years and since then I found public domain horror over at Comic Book Plus ( http://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=horror ) which is pretty awesome- ads and all. Are there any EC books someone can recommend for me to try and hunt down as a primer?
5/18/2017
Topic:
ROM

Finley2020
Finley2020
I've heard it was a good series- haven't read it myself- but as the others have mentioned they are pretty worthless without their covers.
5/25/2017
Topic:
New Special Cover Reprint of G.I. Joe #21

Finley2020
Finley2020
How is the GI Joe series with IDW? I loved the franchise as a kid but have never revisited it since. Do people actually die in the book or do their rifles jam after 3 shots like in the cartoon? smile *click* *click* "Cobra junk!"
5/25/2017
Topic:
EC Comics Discussion

Finley2020
Finley2020
I'm big into horror at the moment so I'll see what titles they have.
5/26/2017
Topic:
ROM

Finley2020
Finley2020
BTW, whats a "car boot sale"?
5/28/2017
Topic:
New Special Cover Reprint of G.I. Joe #21

Finley2020
Finley2020
sclingerman wrote:
Finley2020 wrote:
How is the GI Joe series with IDW? I loved the franchise as a kid but have never revisited it since. Do people actually die in the book or do their rifles jam after 3 shots like in the cartoon? smile *click* *click* "Cobra junk!"

After Marvel ended it with issue #155 back in December 1944, IDW picked it up with issue #156 in 2010. So even though these covers are exact reprints of the Marvel #21, it's IDW that has the rights now.
I had CBCS witness Joe Jusko and Larry Hama sign my virgin variant, and sent it off for slabbing. (Both Larry and Joe are really nice guys with a lot of good "old days" stories.)

Did you mean December 1994? I had to look that up because I didn't think GI Joe was that old, lol.
7/21/2017
Topic:
So What Pulled You Back Into Collecting?

Finley2020
Finley2020
I had posted this in the old forums so I thought I'd throw it out there again. Many of us (myself included) got out of collecting for one reason or another at some point in our collecting lives. I collected a few books when I was a kid but I really got into comics in high school. I read a lot of Image and Vertigo along with several Spider-Man titles. At one point though in the late 90's the variant cover craze got to be too much. Collecting them all was no longer financially feasible and when I did manage to get all 11 covers of The Darkness #11 it felt more like a sigh of relief than anything to be happy about. Then they rebooted ASM. That was about it. I didn't buy another book almost 10 years after that. Then suddenly my wife and I are watching Comic Book Men on AMC one night and they're talking about ASM #101 and I suddenly remembered what a cool character Morbius was. Not sure why but in my head I had to get that book. And like that it all came rushing back to me. I didn't need variant covers to enjoy this wonderful medium. I could like, you know, read them and stuff! My mania in now way approaches what it once was since I have another adult looking over the finances but she still let's me indulge. And yes, I did finally snatch a nice copy of ASM#101.

So let me ask: What made you quit comics altogether? What triggered you to get back into collecting?

I remember this was a really interesting thread in the old forums. I'm curious to see what some of the new folks have to say.
7/24/2017
Topic:

Finley2020
Finley2020
expander wrote:
very cool thread Finley hope this one takes off it was fun to reminisce about my youth!

Same. It seems that our love for comics never really dies off, it just goes dormant from time to time. Always interesting to hear from others what that little trigger was to bring it back full force.
8/8/2017
Topic:

Finley2020
Finley2020
technohippie wrote:
I started Collecting Comics when I was in Junior High. I was pretty poor so I talked the shop owner into giving me a job so I could work for store credit to buy comics and comic cards. When I went to college I had to move and couldn't afford comics so ending up selling my collection to help me get to college. I stopped collecting for about 14 years and started again about 4 years ago.

What's funny is I started collecting and working with comics again because my 4 year old nephew started getting into all the super hero movies and video games. He loved it and he would love to talk to me about it and I was like oh yeah I know about all this stuff. All this stuff was based and comics and it blew his mind. We then started to get back into it together and I couldn't be happier. I missed it and it he helped me remember how much I enjoyed it.

It's awesome to be able to share with family. My brother used to collect as well but I don't think he's touched a comic book in years. My wife has an appreciation for the medium but nothing that would drive her to collect anything unless it was a TPB. My 3 year old son however is already grabbing at my old copies. Can't wait.
8/16/2017
Topic:

Finley2020
Finley2020
pthomas2010 wrote:
Well, I'll tell my story in case anybody decides to check out the thread. It sure would be nice to have an active board along the lines of the old CBR boards, but it's a different world over there now (I was banned because I didn't fall in line with their pc agenda, and they
don't like opposing viewpoints), and the other forums I've found are pretty dead. Anyway, this is actually my third venture into comics.
The first comic I got was either Avengers 130 or ASM 139, I'm not sure which. I just remember that I was hooked pretty quick after that, and would buy Marvel comics whenever we made a trip to the drugstore or grocery store. I used to sit a the magazine rack reading comics while Mom shopped for groceries, and back then, nobody cared. I remember reading Hulk 180 in the grocery store,
and I also remember the day I bought Giant Size X-Men 1, all because I saw it had Wolverine in it. When I got a little older, I began to focus on Amazing Spider-Man & Avengers only. A friend and I set the goal to get both series 100-up, in Mint condition (there was no NM back then), and I got a lot of them. But I started having other interests and eventually quit buying the new issues, and after
working the entire summer of my 15th birthday, I was able to get my first car, and fixing it up was my main priority then. I sold what was left of my collection after I burned off my first set of tires and had no way to replace them. Then, in my senior year of high school, I was at a friend's and noticed a stack of X-Men. This was in 1984, and he had issues going back to the 120's, and he let me take them home and read them. That reignited my passion, and I started collecting again. No real goals this time, but I was able to acquire some really nice books, and even got a summer job at a comic shop. Once again, I sold my collection (except for my cream of the crop books) so I would have some money in the bank at Auburn. The first weekend after I moved there, I got a DUI.
Since I wasn't working and could barely survive on my meager finances, I had to sell the remaining comics to pay for fines, lawyer fees, etc. That was in 1986. I didn't buy another comic until 2010. I assume it's because I watched all the superhero movies, and they always brought back memories, but it just took that long for me to finally get the itch. I wasn't even sure I would still enjoy reading comics anymore, but I ordered some back issues and also bought a few new ones from the lcs in town, and I had a good time. Slowly, I began ordering back issues and eventually became a Weds regular at my lcs. After awhile it became an obsession. I easily completed my childhood goals (not in Mint condition though) and actually went much further. I've completed or very nearly
completed a large chunk of the Marvel titles since 1962, and even have a ton of DC. I'm in a position where I only have utitilies, insurance, and living expenses every month, and the rest I can spend how I want, which has been comics for the last 7 years. The only thing about buying at that rate is that I fell behind reading a long time ago, and that's become a source of stress for me. When I'm able to overcome the mental block I've created, I'll have a lot to choose from. Until then, I'll just keep adding.

Great story. And yes, what KDS said, we're still here. This place isn't quite what it used to be but maybe we can bring it back.
8/16/2017
Topic:

Finley2020
Finley2020
dav1 wrote:
never got out but started buying more expensive ones when my son was born.

Haha, that almost sounds like me. Even though at the time I had no business buying anything above cover price I was convinced I wanted to share an interest with my son down the road. When he was born my wife and I were going through what I like to call the "dog food days". I made next to nothing at that time but we're a lot better off now.
2/1/2018
Topic:

Finley2020
Finley2020
blueshadow wrote:
Sold off most of my collections to fund college with money to spare.
Wow! Given the price of college these days not sure if that would be feasible anymore, haha. I've been gone for a few solid months. Work has kept me busy and I've purchased next to nothing in the meantime. Shame on me. Glad to see this thread still moving smile
2/17/2018
Topic:
Spider-Man villains vs. Batman villains

Finley2020
Finley2020
My wife actually had this discussion not long ago and we both agree. I'm a web-head all the way and the Green Goblin is my favorite villain but even I have to admit that Batman edges Spidey out in this regard. The Joker and the Scarecrow? C'mon! As awesome as the Green Goblin and Venom are, my next two favorite Spidey villains are just variations of those two- Hobgoblin and Carnage.

EDIT: My head just exploded after I looked at that blog. Why haven't they blended those two before?!?!
edited by Finley2020 on 2/17/2018
4/29/2018
Topic:
Sent For Grading

Finley2020
Finley2020
I think we're closing in on 50 days now. Did you get your books back?
5/1/2018
Topic:
Sent For Grading

Finley2020
Finley2020
Thanks for the update. You sent some nice books in- hope you land some decent grades to match smile
10/24/2018
Topic:
What was your first comic?

Finley2020
Finley2020
Mine was Moon Knight #4 (vol 2). I recall paying a $1 for it at a LCS when I was 10 or so.
10/24/2018
Topic:
Variant covers: How many is too much?

Finley2020
Finley2020
I don't have an issue with variant covers in general but they can go overboard sometimes- especially when the rarity is manufactured and people are asking hundreds for a book that just came out simply because it has a different cover on it. I collected The Darkness when I was in high school and when issue #11 came out they "celebrated" with 11 different variant covers. I had to have all of them. Not because I liked them but because the collector in me could not allow me missing out on any of them. When getting my hands on every cover felt more like a sigh of relief than a sense of satisfaction I knew it was time to back off. To each their own though. If you like them then I say God speed.
5/13/2019
Topic:
Old box of comics

Finley2020
Finley2020
Wow, great books. Is Antman really going to put a nail through that dudes foot? He's just a workin' man.
11/10/2019
Topic:
ASM # 20 Parrill variant might be getting censored

Finley2020
Finley2020
LOL, I found the cover you were talking about. Did the eyes make it onto the cover? It's a tad risque but not out of line with other things I've found at my LCS.
9/21/2022
Topic:
Is there a market for lower graded comics?

Finley2020
Finley2020
I think folks who recognize some of the key issues in there would be more than happy to take them off your hands- at a lower price of course. And I agree with KDS; you could probably sell these in stacks of 10 or so to folks who just want to read them. I would fall into that category just for the ads alone.