Found tons of comics Messages in this topic - RSS

SRAC
SRAC

4/24/2017

SRAC
SRAC
So I'm a big fan of comic books but never saved any that I collected as a kid and while cleaning out this new place I found tubs filled with loose comic's from 1960 to the early 1980's. I have no idea how long they been stuck up in the rafters or who left them there. I was wondering should I start storing them properly now or is too late? Most of them look in good condition despite the way they have been stored so far. Any advise would be great.
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

4/25/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
It is never, or rarely ever, too late to take care of comics. The first thing I would do is go out and buy some comic bags and boards and comic storage boxes. Any comic store should have a stock of these. Then go through and figure out what titles and issue numbers you have. Then read up and research how to grade comics. From that huge job you can figure out what you want to do. Sell or keep.

If you have any questions as you go along feel free to ask. There are no dumb questions.
+2 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

4/25/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
SRAC wrote:
So I'm a big fan of comic books but never saved any that I collected as a kid and while cleaning out this new place I found tubs filled with loose comic's from 1960 to the early 1980's. I have no idea how long they been stuck up in the rafters or who left them there. I was wondering should I start storing them properly now or is too late? Most of them look in good condition despite the way they have been stored so far. Any advise would be great.

Awesome find, Congrats!

Listen to Oxbladder, He speaks wise words.
+1 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

4/25/2017

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
It's way too late to protect them now so, I'll take them off your hands (I'll even give you a couple bucks for them) smile
+1 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

4/25/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
Stored in SEALED tubs???
If so, that's better than in open attic humidity.
As you're "bagging and boarding" them, give them a sniff. If one smells moldy... keep it away from the rest of them.

Let us know what some of the titles and issue numbers are! It's always fun to share the excitement of someone's happy discovery.
+1 link
Robbie
Robbie

4/25/2017

Robbie
Robbie
Plastic tubs didn't exist in the early 80s...
At some point an owner must have bought the tubs (big sale at Walmart or where ever) and moved them from the cardboard boxes...

Neat discovery. smile
+1 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

4/27/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
If they were stored in plastic tubs in an attic, they probably smell like plastic tubs. Non-archival grade plastic would break down in the heat and give off gases that can cause an acidic scenario that is bad for the paper.

Defiant1
0 link
pthomas2010
pthomas2010

4/27/2017

pthomas2010
pthomas2010
I'm just waiting for my turn to find some forgotten treasures. You hear stories just enough to let you know there are
still some out there, and there are still people ignorant of the potential value. I just haven't met any yet.
Robbie wrote:
At some point an owner must have bought the tubs (big sale at Walmart or where ever) and moved them from the cardboard boxes...

Neat discovery. smile
0 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

4/27/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
Defiant1 wrote:
If they were stored in plastic tubs in an attic, they probably smell like plastic tubs.

If they weren't sealed, there's a better chance of molds getting into the comic.
But yeah, I didn't think about the plastic breaking down into chemicals that could do damage.
0 link
Finley2020
Finley2020

4/27/2017

Finley2020
Finley2020
Oh man, please please please list some of the titles you found. I love these stories. Closest thing I found of "value" in my house was some old radio tubes.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

4/27/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
pthomas2010 wrote:
I'm just waiting for my turn to find some forgotten treasures. You hear stories just enough to let you know there are
still some out there, and there are still people ignorant of the potential value. I just haven't met any yet.
Robbie wrote:

Neat discovery. smile

I guess it depends where you live. I've never seen anything that resembles mold in our attic. Heat rises and vents out, so it's not a musty damp environment in our attic. In the summer it's like a hot oven.

My collection was stored in a rental storage facility for awhile. It was on the 2nd floor and it was not temperature controlled.
I was worried about moisture, but whenever I visited it was dry and cool. Even on rainy days the concrete block walls soaked up the moisture.

Defiant1
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

4/28/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Not sure why anyone assumes that the books were in plastic tubs. All the OP said was tubs. wink
+1 link
sclingerman
sclingerman

4/28/2017

sclingerman
sclingerman
"it's not a musty damp environment in our attic. In the summer it's like a hot oven." - Which is bad in a different way.

"All the OP said was tubs" - Yes, great big plastic bathtubs. Some of them come with covers to keep the hot water up to temp.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

4/28/2017

Robbie
Robbie
Oxbladder wrote:
Not sure why anyone assumes that the books were in plastic tubs. All the OP said was tubs. wink

Might have been Victorian claw foot tubs. That would make for a more interesting story.
+2 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

4/28/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
sclingerman wrote:
"it's not a musty damp environment in our attic. In the summer it's like a hot oven." - Which is bad in a different way.

Definitely!
No disagreement on that.

An attic is about the worst place anyone could pick to store comics.

Defiant1
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

4/28/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
Oxbladder wrote:

I started my sentence with "If".

Defiant1
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

5/2/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
rixmaxx wrote:
It's way too late to protect them now so, I'll take them off your hands (I'll even give you a couple bucks for them) smile

I'll give you a few more bucks than rix. Send directly to me please.
0 link
Finley2020
Finley2020

5/11/2017

Finley2020
Finley2020
OP! Where's that list?
0 link