spider man 300 should oi get it graded Messages in this topic - RSS

louash0769
louash0769

12/11/2016

louash0769
louash0769
help me to deside if i should get this graded or not? thanks and where do i send it?
0 link
Finley2020
Finley2020

12/11/2016

Finley2020
Finley2020
Presumably you're referring to Amazing Spider-Man #300 which is a very key book. If you're looking to sell it at any point in the future then I would try and get it graded. If you're not selling than I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it safe smile

There are three big graders out there- each with their own merits (and detractors). I've never had the experience of submitting comics to any of them since the few slabbed books I have were like that when I purchased them. These links should get you started:

https://www.cbcscomics.com/

https://www.cgccomics.com/

I believe CGC requires you to be a member or that you need to submit it through a LCS that is a member but they could have changed that.

http://pgxcomics.com/

PS- Apologies beforehand to the moderators if link posting is a no-no.
edited by finley2020 on 12/11/2016
0 link
Conrad79
Conrad79

12/17/2016

Conrad79
Conrad79
I just had one of my first books graded ASM 252 and I like you am about to purchase and have graded ASM 300. I am going to have them displayed in my comic room. I think they look cool and add value to the book. I went through CBCS and it was a painless process it just takes a while to have done.
0 link
Conrad79
Conrad79

12/17/2016

Conrad79
Conrad79
Sorry I did not answer your question. That would be a yes from me on special books.
0 link
beav62
beav62

12/22/2016

beav62
beav62
The adding value part is not a given. It will add value if it is graded 9.0 or higher. But otherwise, it will protect the book and display well. Also, consider getting the book pressed. Many pressing services also ship to the grader on their account.
+1 link
BabaLament
BabaLament

11/15/2017

BabaLament
BabaLament
When sending to graders, do some research before you send it off; not all grading companies are considered equal. In my limited experience (just under 100 books) this is what I've found:

- CGC: is slightly more expensive, do not communicate well, customer service can be difficult to get on the phone, the final grades tend to be 0.1-0.3 higher than CBCS.

- CBCS: slightly less expensive, communication via website/twitter/facebook may not always reflect reality, customer service is easy to get on the phone & respond via e-mail in 1-3 days, final grades tend to be lower that books graded by CGC.

- PGX: I have not used PGX. Before sending books off for grade, I read a bunch of reddit/forum horror stories about people sending first edition/first printing books to PGX & getting second (or later) printings or re-prints back in the slab. Obviously I take anything from forums w/ a small mountain of salt, but when enough people complain about the same problem...it was enough to convince me to send my books elsewhere.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

11/23/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
It will take longer and cost more but the CGC or CBCS is the only real choices for grading. PGX is junk in so many ways.

As for whether or not to get a book graded, that is completely up to the individual collector. CGC and CBCS can improve resale values and both make it much easier to sell books should the need arise. Now, in theory, it is not worth getting any old book graded as it is an expensive procedure. Protection-wise you can get very good and very long term protection from Mylars and Mylites and not have to spend fortune to get all your books into them. However, you can do things like when you send a batch of books to get graded and you want to include a book or two that is really worth grading but you just want it in a slab you can send other books that are worth getting graded and you are willing to sell and selling those one or two books covers the cost of getting all the books graded plus some profit on top. For example, I sent 2 very high grade NYX #3's and one ASM #194 in for grading. two of which I was keeping (one NYX and the ASM) the other NYX I sold and it covered the cost of pressing, grading, and shipping all three books. so doing something like this is a means of getting books graded that may not make sense getting graded but you just want to get them graded anyway.

If you are one that sells books then the better way to go is buying Mylars or Mylites (and full or half-backs if you don't get fully buffered backing boards then buying Mylars or Mylites is a waste of cash).
0 link
marvelart
marvelart

11/25/2017

marvelart
marvelart
Thanks, Finley2020, I am not aware of these websites.
0 link