Crowman

all messages by user

5/6/2017
Topic:
Live Bands

Crowman
Crowman
Lived in OZ for a while so saw a few Aussie bands......
Something for Kate
Spiderbait
The Jets
Missy Higgins
The Waifs
Kasey Chambers
Powderfinger
Crowded House (ok partially Kiwi)
Paul Kelly
Joe Camileri and the Black Sorrows
Colin Hay Band
5/19/2017
Topic:
ROM

Crowman
Crowman
On the flip side, do not make the mistake of thinking this is the general rule of thumb.
Rare comics without their covers can still fetch a pretty penny, it all depends on the value and scarcity of the comic. smile
5/25/2017
Topic:
BAD SELLERS!!

Crowman
Crowman
98% of what I buy online is packaged really well. Maybe I am just lucky?
6/6/2017
Topic:
CGC Labels

Crowman
Crowman
Hey Troopers!

If a CGC slabbed book s missing it's exterior lebel - the long thin one that is normally adhered to thetop f the case - is the value impacted?

My feelingsare it should not be, but given how cheap I got the below auction for, I was wondering.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252964221845?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Could turn out to be a very sweet deal.

Appreciate your thoughts.
6/19/2017
Topic:
selling my collection?

Crowman
Crowman
This is something that has been crossing my mind more and more. As I approach my 58th birthday and the R word (retirement) looms ever larger, I know that I will also be looking at selling my collection. With a CPG value nearing 400K I have always seen the proceeds of selling as a major player in my retirement funds.
Selling to a dealer would be the easy way out, but the dealer would need to take everything and not just cherry pick the collection for what he wants. But this would probably be the least profitable way as you would be lucky to get 50% of your collection value?
Selling off your collection on e-bay direct to other collectors is for me the best way to go. That way you are still active with your hobby and you are most likely to get the best returns as you cut out the middle man (the dealer). This works for me as I would have heaps of time on my hands as I would be retired, or at least semi retired.
Whatever way you go I wish you well.
6/21/2017
Topic:
selling my collection?

Crowman
Crowman
If your collection is fully up to date and logged here you can create and print out an EXCEL sheet that clearly shows what you have.
I would also ensure that your collection is properly stored and you can easily locate a specific issue so you can prove to a potential buyer that what you have listed is legit.
That way there is no uncertainty for a potential buyer.
Your LCS owner is just beating you down so he pays the lowest possible price.
7/24/2017
Topic:
Help

Crowman
Crowman
Stingray comics are very cool. It was the first Gerry Anderson TV series that I really got into as a kid and I had a heap of toys that I wish I still had today.
7/24/2017
Topic:
Spider-Man: Homecoming

Crowman
Crowman
I enjoyed it but too many changes in classic characters for my liking. Trying to appease everyone and being PC?

Looking forward to the Scorpion making his debut on the big screen, which could happen in the next film.
8/16/2017
Topic:
The Accountant

Crowman
Crowman
I won't say too much about the film other than that I enjoyed it.

I love it when I see comics appearing in a film and there is an uber cool moment when the main character (played by Ben Afflek), goes into this trailer where he keeps money, some original art (Monet, Pollock)...... he slides open a draw and there sits high grade copies of Action Comics #1 and All American Comics #16, as well as some baseball cards that I am sure are mega rare.
edited by Crowman on 8/21/2017
8/21/2017
Topic:
UK Comic Collectors

Crowman
Crowman
I remember getting the UK versions (on newspaper print) of the US comics back in the early 70's. Could also get the American print versions as well if you knew where to go.

My Dad had a general shop (as a side business), back around 1973 - 1975 and we stocked a lot of comics then. We got to read them all then put them back on the shelf for sale.
8/30/2017
Topic:
Totally Awesome Hulk # 22 jumps to $30 fast

Crowman
Crowman
Damn! Only bought 9 copies at $10 each. smile
9/26/2017
Topic:
To Grade Or Not To Grade?

Crowman
Crowman
If buying premium keys I would always prefer a graded book and preferably by CGC as they seem to have the better reputation.

But in answer to your question, I would definitely grade my more valuable books (once agai9on, with CGC) as that should really erase doubts in potential buyers minds.
9/26/2017
Topic:
Walking Dead 171 (Pink)

Crowman
Crowman
Managed to get three copies, but paid about $40 each for them.
11/13/2017
Topic:
Thor: Ragnarok

Crowman
Crowman
I enjoyed it, but could do without the humour, and without the Kiwi accent for the stone critter.
Loved the scenes when Zep's Immigrant song was being played.
1/21/2018
Topic:
ASM #10 CGC 7.5

Crowman
Crowman
Picked it up for 430 quid.... about 600 bucks.
Not a huge bargain, but not too bad a price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Amazing-Spiderman-10-CGC-7-5-No-Reserve-Very-Rare-Just-Graded/302602353230?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
1/22/2018
Topic:
Is Journey Into Mystery 109 Worth Investing In?

Crowman
Crowman
If it were me, I would plum for #103, which is the first appearance of the Enchantress.
1/23/2018
Topic:
ASM #10 CGC 7.5

Crowman
Crowman
Hi Ron,

No, my best book remains my X-Men #1 CGC 7.5
1/23/2018
Topic:
ASM #10 CGC 7.5

Crowman
Crowman
If just talking ASM, I have a CGC 8.5 of #8 which I got ages ago. Also a CGC 9.0 of #20 which has good potential.
edited by Crowman on 1/23/2018
1/23/2018
Topic:
ASM #10 CGC 7.5

Crowman
Crowman
The majority of my collection has been in storage since 2005 so I have not had any access to it for almost 13 years now. I guess I could select some nice issues from what I have with me.
2/2/2018
Topic:
Making the Move from Collecting to Investing.

Crowman
Crowman
I guess I have been investing since the early 90's, buying some GA, but mostly SA keys. My biggest ever spend was $5600 (bought from Metropolis comics) on a CGC 7.5 X-Men #1, which I am sure I could sell for a pretty tidy return today. There are many, many other books I have bought over the years that I hope will provide me with good returns as well.
I wish you well on your investment journey. It is a great way to stay with our passion for comics.
edited by Crowman on 2/2/2018
1234 ..9